Sponsored

Plate holder

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So my license plate has just arrived, but I just realized that there is nothing on the body of the car that I can attach the plate to. There are the 4 holes which I need to drill and then screw, which I can, but usually in my previous cars there used to be a plastic piece that sits between the body paint and the metal plate. What do you guys use for this? I just dont want metal plate to make contact with the paint.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The back plate is attached via the two taller holes on the rear bumper.
The front factory location you need to drill the bumper and install a bracket to do so.
That's what what the dimples are for.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The back plate is attached via the two taller holes on the rear bumper.
The front factory location you need to drill the bumper and install a bracket to do so.
My question for the rear bumper, when you say the back plate, do you mean the plastic license plate holder that the license plate screws on top of? The big bracket thing?

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
For reference, this is what every BMW comes with from the factory. On top of this, you screw the license plate "bracket" and on top of that, you screw the actual plate. The bracket or the plate never make contact with the paint. Did your car come with something similar? I just need to figure out the part number that's all.

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/LICENSE-BRACKET-Unique-Screws-Wrench/dp/B00RIV1H42

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My question for the rear bumper, when you say the back plate, do you mean the plastic license plate holder that the license plate screws on top of? The big bracket thing?
The rear bumper under the license plate light there are two nipples. Drill them and then put plastic screws through them to attach the plate. The plate is attached directly to the rear bumper.
The front you need a licence plate holder from Ford which should come with the car if it's not installed. Ask dealer to give it to you.
They don't use threaded clips like other cars do.
2.jpg
IMG_0244.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The rear bumper under the license plate light there are two nipples. Drill them and then put plastic screws through them to attach the plate. The plate is attached directly to the rear bumper.
They don't use threaded clips like other cars do.
Gotcha, so there you go.

That's all I needed to know. Thanks!

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
For reference, this is what every BMW comes with from the factory. On top of this, you screw the license plate "bracket" and on top of that, you screw the actual plate. The bracket or the plate never make contact with the paint. Did your car come with something similar? I just need to figure out the part number that's all.

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/LICENSE-BRACKET-Unique-Screws-Wrench/dp/B00RIV1H42
If you worry about the back plate touching the paint, you can simple add some adhesive foam blocks behind the license plate so its raised high enough to not touch the bumper.
The nipples are tall enough so when you screw the plate in, there is 1/4 of inch clearance for the plate to sit above the bumper.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If you worry about the back plate touching the paint, you can simple add some adhesive foam blocks behind the license plate so its raised high enough to not touch the bumper.
The nipples are tall enough so when you screw the plate in, there is 1/4 of inch clearance for the plate to sit above the bumper.
Got it, thanks for the advice!

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Don't drill that front bumper. Someone in another thread has a front plate mount that attaches from the bottom. I put cabinet door silencers/bumpers under my rear tag before mounting.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum

Sponsored

Super Moderator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Cleaned up. Next off topic post or insult earns an infraction and account suspension.

Arctic_Ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350 H1465
Here is what I did to mine last night. I know it's not as clean of a job as a rectangle license plate but this was my solution based on all the different corners and shapes.
IMG_8423.jpg
IMG_8424.jpg

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
^^^^ don't see those plates too much around here. They're nice though.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Here is what I did to mine last night. I know it's not as clean of a job as a rectangle license plate but this was my solution based on all the different corners and shapes.
That plate is excellent. I'm guessing they don't sell plate surrounds for the NW Territory plates :)
Sponsored