Pistons better than 2618 or 4032

horsepower addiction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
s550
I posted something kind of like this in the general performance section people weren’t too interested but I figure people here are building more engines so I just wanted to give you the information you can do what you want with it.
There’s a piston that is stronger than 2618 and runs tighter clearances then the 4032 it’s the Mahle M142 clearances on it are as close as a factory piston and it’s stronger than the 2618 and the prices is right around the same as 2618 and 4032 in some cases cheaper. This is also the piston that they run in the new Shelby GT500 5.2 predator
Sponsored

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
Hi Nate. I saw your other thread and forgot to post.

Better…. Well depending on what you want to do. ?? For street ,yes maybe

im getting a sleeved coyote built ATM using M142p pistons. when I was deciding what to put Into the build and going around in circles and trying to learn what various pistons are good for , strength , life span , ,warm up time etc.
when comparing all the metal types I went down a rabbit hole. The Mahle M142 properties I kept coming back too. Probably due to the fact it’s kind of best of both worlds. It’s a street car and I wanted OEM type of characteristics.

I reached out to Mahle USA and had many emails with Jason , with all sorts of question which he answered to help my decision.

This was one of my question‘s and his reply , which sealed the deal for me

I’m interested when comparing the limits of all 3 alloys. Does Mahle have a range where you would recommend 2618 over the 4032 or M142P.
2618 with its shorter life span , but better in racing applications , and the other 2 less expansion tighter tolerances better for street applications and quicker warm up time so to speak.

Where does Mahle draw the line between each piston alloy ? And HP rating ??

IMG_7056.jpeg

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If I build another coyote motor it will have M142P pistons.

Current build is 2618's inside a factory plasma bore gen 3 block. Pistons are noisy on start up until operating temp is achieved.

Think "2k rattle" but more pronounced. Once fully warm the noise is gone but it does take some time for 2618's to expand and get warm.

I know other 2618 users who disagree and say their motors are quiet, so your mileage may vary.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
If I build another coyote motor it will have M142P pistons.

Current build is 2618's inside a factory plasma bore gen 3 block. Pistons are noisy on start up until operating temp is achieved.

Think "2k rattle" but more pronounced. Once fully warm the noise is gone but it does take some time for 2618's to expand and get warm.

I know other 2618 users who disagree and say their motors are quiet, so your mileage may vary.
Do you happen to have a video? I have a high compression gen 3 aluminator I think it has 2618. I dont hear much from this motor compared to my stock motor when I didnt use ceratec. Although the 2k rattle is still there I dont have to use ceratec in this motor and it doesnt seem to make a difference in noise compared to my OEM gen 3 shortblock.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Do you happen to have a video? I have a high compression gen 3 aluminator I think it has 2618. I dont hear much from this motor compared to my stock motor when I didnt use ceratec. Although the 2k rattle is still there I dont have to use ceratec in this motor and it doesnt seem to make a difference in noise compared to my OEM gen 3 shortblock.

I don't.. ill have to get one. Just tapping when cold basically, like a piston slap noise.. like the 2k rattle noise.

Sponsored

OP
OP

horsepower addiction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
s550
I don’t like when they limit the pistons by boost. It’s not exactly an accurate way to measure.
the numbers he is quoting for 4032 is the same numbers most performances shops put on the stock pistons.

Timbuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 s550
I tend to agree. I think they are very conservative in there approach to talk HP numbers etc. And yes boost is so variable on every set up.
It would be nice if they did have a detailed spread sheet on HP ratings of there products. Give the customer a bit of an idea what to aim towards for the HP needs.

I felt from my research 4032 was about as strong at stock pistons….yes probably better more tollerent but not a huge Amount better let’s say in the coyote world Anyway. This is why they are not highly sort after or i guess popular in build On here and most shoot for 2618.

due to The fact that the M142P acted like OEM with regards to heat and tolerance and they are it not far behind 2618 in strength I gravitated toward them.

I looked outside the coyote world and found m142P very popular in the bmw , Audi, Europe market and very hard to find anyone with a bad experience with them. So that what cemented my decision.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
There are few free lunches or big leaps in metallurgy. It happens every once in a great while, but if someone is claiming something that seems spectacular, it usually is.

There are certain constraints that are difficult to circumvent.

Strength vs toughness for instance. Thermal expansion vs toughness (particularly in Aluminum alloys).

There are "tweener" alloys that try to be a better, more optimized blend of trade offs, but if you find an alloy that's stronger AND tougher AND expands less but costs the same, then the obvious question becomes "if that's true, then why would anyone buy the other two?"

If it were true, it would run the other alloys out of use.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase