Pilot Super Sport vs Sport Cup 2 - Advice Needed

bhalfway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Byron
Vehicle(s)
Looking
So I’d like to potentially put new tires on my GT350. I know that the Super Sports are a size that fits. My question is: Are the Super Sport‘s as soft as the Sport Cup’s? The main reason I’m interested in changing them out is that the Sport Cups pick up everything under the sun and toss it into the rear quarterpanel (as is a known issue). I plan on getting PPF but would like to understand if the Super Sports create the exact same issue... in other words does it make a difference?

Second question: Is the tramlining any better with the Super Sports? And has anyone noticed reduced grip with the Super Sports? I’m not tracking the car... Don’t get me wrong, I like to have fun for sure but would likely never be hitting curves at 130 mph either.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
The Sport Cups are R compound tires with softer rubber compound than the Super Sports. The stock alignment for 2016s causes cording of the front tires and tramlining. I realigned my 2016 to take out the front toe out and 1 degree of front negative camber to reduce wear and tramlining. I'm a retired club racer, so I'm not concerned about 10ths of a second on the track.

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
The Super Sports are a far better street tire than the Cup 2s. In my experience they significantly reduce or eliminate tramlining regardless of alignment. I even did an HPDE day yesterday in the rain with my PS4s and was happy with their performance. My instructor was running Cup 2s on his GT3 and quit after 2 sessions as it was unsafe. I know the Porsche is a different compound than the R Cup 2s but same tread pattern.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Put the MPSS on last year. Much less tramiling and throwing stuff. Very happy with them so far.

Sponsored

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
Not to derail the OP's thread but here's a dumb question regarding the Sports: Since they're heavier than the Cups, do any of you guys that track them notice poorer initial turn-in or acceleration from low speeds compared to the Cups?

After my Cups wear out, I'm strongly considering replacing them with Sports for a more street-friendly tire (and less rock fling on my quater panels), but if anything I'd like to reduce weight, not increase it. Additional rotational mass, especially at the outer extreme, as we all know is no bueno.

From what I've been able to find, the Cup 2s that our cars come with are also the lightest tires available for it, at least in stock sizes. Ideally I'd like to have a set of lighter tires mounted on lighter forged wheels to replace the OEM ship anchors...

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Not to derail the OP's thread but here's a dumb question regarding the Sports: Since they're heavier than the Cups, do any of you guys that track them notice poorer initial turn-in or acceleration from low speeds compared to the Cups?

After my Cups wear out, I'm strongly considering replacing them with Sports for a more street-friendly tire (and less rock fling on my quater panels), but if anything I'd like to reduce weight, not increase it. Additional rotational mass, especially at the outer extreme, as we all know is no bueno.

From what I've been able to find, the Cup 2s that our cars come with are also the lightest tires available for it, at least in stock sizes. Ideally I'd like to have a set of lighter tires mounted on lighter forged wheels to replace the OEM ship anchors...
True... at least in R sizes, the PS4S is about 4lbs heavier per tire! The carbon wheels on the R are a great weight reducer but cup2s are icing on the cake, for sure. Pooooor street tire, though, in terms of longevity and like OP noticed, throwing road debris....The sticky compound and thin tread depth also increases the chances of a tire puncture by something that would possibly not bother a normal summer tire.

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
Super Sports are great tires and what Ford Performance uses at the GT350 Track Attack. They are not as soft as the Sport Cup 2's which are at a different level - designed around the car and sticky like flypaper. Both are great shoes for our GT350s.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I use the PSS that came with the car on the street and a set of SC2s for the track. I did a few track days with the PSS initially (including one day in the rain) and they were fine. I do not have the skill nor the inclination to max this car on the track so PSS vs SC2s is a wash for me. I just did not want to wear out my street tires too quickly which is why I sprung for the SC2s. I did drive back from VIR on the SC2s because I did not want to swap out the set while everything was hot and I regretted that decision; the tramlining was terrible.

In conclusion:

PSS for the street and SC2 for the track

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
We are talking two very different tires. The grip of the SC2's is nothing short of astonishing. If you drive with them on a track, the will wear out relatively quickly, maybe 2-4 track days depending on the track and how aggressive a driver you are.
The PS4S (which is the next gen of the PSS) will not give you as much grip on the track, but they will last longer. If they are like the earlier-gen PSS, they will have a tendency to chunk when driven aggressively at the track when mounted on a heavy car.
It's my opinion that the PS4S is the best performance street tire for the money in terms of dry and wet performance, treadwear, and grip for the GT350/R. You probably will not notice the difference in weight and turn in on the street, and only if you are an experienced driver with a well-developed seat of your pants feel will you feel a difference on the track.
I can confirm that the PS4S will significantly reduce or eliminate the tramlining associated with the SC2's. I second the opinion that you will find the PS4S the best option for street. You can run the 305/30/19 PS4S squared on both the GT350 and the R wheels.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
The Sport Cups are R compound tires with softer rubber compound than the Super Sports. The stock alignment for 2016s causes cording of the front tires and tramlining. I realigned my 2016 to take out the front toe out and 1 degree of front negative camber to reduce wear and tramlining. I'm a retired club racer, so I'm not concerned about 10ths of a second on the track.
Lunatect
Thank you for that.
Can you please post your exact alignment settings, front and rear?
I‘m going with the PSS’s and want to align to keep the wear minimal, if that’s possible. I won’t be tracking for competition, just to have fun. I won’t be pushing it as hard as most of you guys. My first track experience was at Track Attack and I’m 62years old.

CrowsHeadSoup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I’m curious (also quite interested), what sizes is everyone moving to with the Pilot Super Sport? I find nothing to match the stock size: 295/35r19 & 305/35r19 on Michelin's site, other than PSC2s.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I’m curious (also quite interested), what sizes is everyone moving to with the Pilot Super Sport? I find nothing to match the stock size: 295/35r19 & 305/35r19 on Michelin's site, other than PSC2s.
I'm seeing supersports on tire rack site in oem sizing....

that said, 305/30/19 works well and looks good when the car is lowered too.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
We are talking two very different tires. The grip of the SC2's is nothing short of astonishing. If you drive with them on a track, the will wear out relatively quickly, maybe 2-4 track days depending on the track and how aggressive a driver you are.
The PS4S (which is the next gen of the PSS) will not give you as much grip on the track, but they will last longer. If they are like the earlier-gen PSS, they will have a tendency to chunk when driven aggressively at the track when mounted on a heavy car.
It's my opinion that the PS4S is the best performance street tire for the money in terms of dry and wet performance, treadwear, and grip for the GT350/R. You probably will not notice the difference in weight and turn in on the street, and only if you are an experienced driver with a well-developed seat of your pants feel will you feel a difference on the track.
I can confirm that the PS4S will significantly reduce or eliminate the tramlining associated with the SC2's. I second the opinion that you will find the PS4S the best option for street. You can run the 305/30/19 PS4S squared on both the GT350 and the R wheels.
Agree with this as far as I can - not a Shelby owner but had both PSS and PS4S. PSS is already a very good tire but PS4S take the cake. If I had a GT350, I'd have 2 sets. One with PS4S for street driving and SC2's for track use.
Sponsored