Sponsored

Pics of my cylinders

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
So I had been on the fence about returning my car to stock to take it to the dealer because of the ticking and the 2-3k rattle. That changed today. I invested with my local snap on guy and got my self a decent bore scope and I took these pictures. I welcome any opinions and also am looking for feed back from people that have been through this on what my chances are on geting a new short or long block out of this.

BK650003.JPG
BK650004.JPG
BK650010.JPG
BK650011.JPG
BK650013.JPG
BK650014.JPG
BK650022.JPG
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
How many cylinders are those photos covering? Can't tell if there are multiple photos of one cylinder.

The top two photos look the worse, but the marks don't look very deep. Can you tell if the marks in the top two photos is on the piston thrust side of the cylinder?

How many miles are on the engine?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
One other note to mention for those who are “new” to seeing cylinder walls:

Cylinder walls are not smooth and the cross hatching seen (or what looks like and can be described as looking like sandpaper scratches) is totally and 100% normal for ANY engine cylinder wall. This would be the horizontal criss crossing marks seen on the walls.

The straight vertical scoring is most likely what everyone is questioning when these Coyote cylinder wall pics come up for debate.

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
That doesn't look good. Interested to see if you get it covered under warranty, as you are more modded than I am.

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
One other note to mention for those who are “new” to seeing cylinder walls:

Cylinder walls are not smooth and the cross hatching seen (or what looks like and can be described as looking like sandpaper scratches) is totally and 100% normal for ANY engine cylinder wall. This would be the horizontal criss crossing marks seen on the walls.

The straight vertical scoring is most likely what everyone is questioning when these Coyote cylinder wall pics come up for debate.
Good point To anyone not familiar with how fresh cylinders look. the side to side criss cross sand paper looking marks are normal and good to see. the up and down lines and shiny spots not so much. I'm definatly concerned with the verticle scoring. though it doesnt look extreme it looks like wear I'm used to seeing on engines with high milleage. this coupled with all the ticks and rattles is the bassis for me pursuing an engine replacement of some sort

Sponsored

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
How many cylinders are those photos covering? Can't tell if there are multiple photos of one cylinder.

The top two photos look the worse, but the marks don't look very deep. Can you tell if the marks in the top two photos is on the piston thrust side of the cylinder?

How many miles are on the engine?
I took pictures of all the cylinders though I'm not exactly sure which picture is what cylinder. all the scoring is on the piston thrus side and I can tell you that the worst cylinders were #1, #3 , #6 , #7 . the engine has 7k miles

Nabush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SS 1LE / Corvette C7 GrandSport M7
Mine looked the same...small rattles at light loads. Got rid of it, bought a 1LE...
No way this is normal.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Mine looked the same...small rattles at light loads. Got rid of it, bought a 1LE...
No way this is normal.
When did you pick up the 1LE? Welcome to the dark side!?!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
No way this is normal.

This is why I gave up on the 2018 upgrade. That spray on liner and then this shit does not sit well with me. No way is an engine like this making it to 375,000km like my fox body 5.0 did. With no engine work and no oil consumption. So I’m staying with my 2017 V6 which I love and is the most reliable car I ever owned. I’m almost 60 so it’s Corvette time (weekend car) for me before it’s too late. I have space for the 2 and a Buick Enclave. The only question is base Stingray or Z51but I will have incline clearance problems with the Z51.

But to the OP it’s time to get a new engine!

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
If this were pictures of my engine, it wouldn’t worry me. From the looks of it you can still easily see the cross hatch through it. BUT I don’t keep cars more then 25-30k miles. Every 3-4 years and since I work from home I just don’t put that many miles on them. That said if this was going to be a life time car I’d be a little more concerned and would probably return it to stock and put a few thousand more miles on before I’d really start pushing the dealer to check it out. These are not ideal looking cylinders, but far from catastrophic. To people that have never built engines or torn a lot of engines apart it may look worse then what it really is. Engines look worse then this still lasted tens and tens of thousands of miles and diesels hundreds of thousands.

Of interesting note. Most the scoring I see on these bore scopes seem to be parallel with the crank instead of perpendicular like a piston slap wear would be.. or is it just how some are describing where the scoring is located?

Sponsored
OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
If this were pictures of my engine, it wouldn’t worry me. From the looks of it you can still easily see the cross hatch through it. BUT I don’t keep cars more then 25-30k miles. Every 3-4 years and since I work from home I just don’t put that many miles on them. That said if this was going to be a life time car I’d be a little more concerned and would probably return it to stock and put a few thousand more miles on before I’d really start pushing the dealer to check it out. These are not ideal looking cylinders, but far from catastrophic. To people that have never built engines or torn a lot of engines apart it may look worse then what it really is. Engines look worse then this still lasted tens and tens of thousands of miles and diesels hundreds of thousands.

Of interesting note. Most the scoring I see on these bore scopes seem to be parallel with the crank instead of perpendicular like a piston slap wear would be.. or is it just how some are describing where the scoring is located?
The most correct and logical response yet. thank you. I checked out the pics at great length and also had several of my co workers and boss check them out and after they pointed out that the cross hatch can still be seen and after we compared it to a 15 chevy Ls in the shop we just pulled that had 8k on it with virtualy the same cylinder wear , I feel much better. I do have a bit of a tick sometimes but the car runs so damn good that I'm just not going to trip on it just yet.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
12.1 compression can be a bitch
The 18 motor is as exotic as an engine can be...,,.,,boy racers and haters have no clue of what this car is. Period.
I have 460hp under my toe 7500 rpm .....with a/c on, my ass in a cooled seat, blue tooth, and an idle of 600 rpm. The math is mind Boggling

Keep an eye on it. The cylinder wall wear in your photos is concerning to me
If the gen 3 has hypereutectic pistons and the Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (PTWA) the combo is what needs dialing in with rings and end gap.
I can't find solid detailed specs on the gen 3 online and it's materials . The loud active fart box seems to be of more interest to most

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Check your oil for metal.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
This is common with Nikasil or most any cylinder coated with like properties. It's called "Cylinder Streaking" in the Two Stroke world.
The light intensity from a borescope can and will highlight normal wear marks which could cause false alarm. The reality is those scuffs would pass a Ra / RMS test.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
This is common with Nikasil or most any cylinder coated with like properties. It's called "Cylinder Streaking" in the Two Stroke world.
The light intensity from a borescope can and will highlight normal wear marks which could cause false alarm. The reality is those scuff would pass a Ra / RMS test.
I don’t feel so worried about the cylinders after talking with several of my colleagues and people here. I’m kind of new to using a borescope and I’ve definitely noticed that because of the light and maybe the definition of the camera that it makes things seem more intense than they are. I don’t believe my cylinders are the cause of my noise
Sponsored