Phenolic spacers on Roush supercharger.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Hi guys,

After trading info back and forth with @Roh92cp, @ugstang17, and @Chainsaw, I decided to give my '16 GT perf package with the Roush Ford Racing supercharger some better cooling with phenolic spacers and VMP's H/E. It wasn't that it was suffering from high IATs for the kind of driving I do, but making it run cooler can't hurt. Plus I like to fool with stuff. The MFP 8mm phenolic spacers are sold on VMP's site. They don't come with longer bolts which will be needed for the install, but nothing a run to a hardware store can't fix.

I did NOT need new lower motor mounts to achieve supercharger to hood clearance. I put a clump of clay on top of the supercharger at a few places before the install and closed the hood. The closest spot between them that my clay compressed to was 1-1/8". The phenolic spacers are a little under 3/8" thick, so I have just a little more than 3/4" of clearance to the hood with the spacers installed to hopefully allow for engine movement if/when I really lay into it.

I did NOT need to purchase a new belt. Maybe because I have an 80mm pulley it allowed for the distance the supercharger was raised with the spacers?

I did NOT purchase a new FEAD bracket. After making a call to VMP they stated the original bracket that came with the supercharger can still be used. The top hole that bolts into the lower intake just won't be used since the intake was raised and the four other mounting bolts that are on the bracket would be enough. I will get to test/compare my new cooling mods tomorrow.
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Hi guys,

After trading info back and forth with @Roh92cp, @ugstang17, and @Chainsaw, I decided to give my '16 GT perf package with the Roush Ford Racing supercharger some better cooling with phenolic spacers and VMP's H/E. It wasn't that it was suffering from high IATs for the kind of driving I do, but making it run cooler can't hurt. Plus I like to fool with stuff. The MFP 8mm phenolic spacers are sold on VMP's site. They don't come with longer bolts which will be needed for the install, but nothing a run to a hardware store can't fix.

I did NOT need new lower motor mounts to achieve supercharger to hood clearance. I put a clump of clay on top of the supercharger at a few places before the install and closed the hood. The closest spot between them that my clay compressed to was 1-1/8". The phenolic spacers are a little under 3/8" thick, so I have just a little more than 3/4" of clearance to the hood with the spacers installed to hopefully allow for engine movement if/when I really lay into it.

I did NOT need to purchase a new belt. Maybe because I have an 80mm pulley it allowed for the distance the supercharger was raised with the spacers?

I did NOT purchase a new FEAD bracket. After making a call to VMP they stated the original bracket that came with the supercharger can still be used. The top hole that bolts into the lower intake just won't be used since the intake was raised and the four other mounting bolts that are on the bracket would be enough. I will get to test/compare my new cooling mods tomorrow.
Intersting. This is the first I have heard of a product to separate the head unit from the intake to lower heat load via radiation (or would that be convection? Been too many years since I went through USN shipboard firefighter training). Would be interested in how it alone helps IAT temps at lower speeds before the HE is added. I still haven't mounted up my Whipple OS H.E. yet. Been trying to decide if I am going to do much more with the sled before I luck onto a GT500 I can trade it in on. I really want to get back into a real muscle car with an SRA, no VCT, minimal nanny strategies, and a stick shift. They OS H.E. I am almost certain will be usable on any 07-14GT500.

Best of luck in lowering those IAT's. Efficiency is what its all about. I'd personally like to upgrade to a Whipple 3.0 or VMP 2650 to lower the boost (more volume allows this) which lowers induced heat due to lower pressure differential as well. But I'm not made of money. If I were I would already have that GT500. LOL!

OP
OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Circled Part.jpg
First pic is you can barely see the black spacer under the lower intake. (Circled). View attachment 398656

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:
OP
OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
This pic you can see how high the supercharger gets lifted up by the FEAD bracket behind the pulley. I actually had that hose lifted up so you could see the hole that doesn't get used anymore. The hose actually covers it.
20190928_111540.jpg

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Nice. But I am still curious as to how much radiation is actually influencing IAT's without as compared to with. Most of your temps are generated in the compression process of making the boost when you go into positive displacement. So hopefully this aids lower in IAT's primarily. Looks good. Like the idea. Just wondering how practical it is for the price or $299.

Sponsored

Tornado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt pp - white
Department of boost has a lot of information on this. Iirc the biggest benefit is mitigating heat soak

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Department of boost has a lot of information on this. Iirc the biggest benefit is mitigating heat soak
Thanks I forget about them since they don't do a lot with the Coyote. They do a lot of interesting research.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
Nice. But I am still curious as to how much radiation is actually influencing IAT's without as compared to with. Most of your temps are generated in the compression process of making the boost when you go into positive displacement. So hopefully this aids lower in IAT's primarily. Looks good. Like the idea. Just wondering how practical it is for the price or $299.
Roh92cp did research for the Department of Boost. He said the best mod he tried to reduce IAT2 temps were the phenolic spacers.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Roh92cp did research for the Department of Boost. He said the best mod he tried to reduce IAT2 temps were the phenolic spacers.
Thanks. Will look into this for future PD applications. I've read most of DOB's articles, but not as up to date with them since I picked up the S550. Need to visit tehir website again.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Will look into this for future PD applications. I've read most of DOB's articles, but not as up to date with them since I picked up the S550. Need to visit tehir website again.
Search Roh92cp posts on this site. He has a lot of useful information on this site.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
So, before the VMP H/E (without fans) and phenolic spacer install I was seeing IAT's 35 degrees or so above ambient when the temps were in the mid to high 60's. I was seeing IAT's 26-30 degrees above ambient when the temps were in the mid 80's which I thought was strange. About an hour or more drive yesterday after the installs (mostly cruising) it was 68 degrees ambient and my IAT's were practically stuck at 87 degrees, no higher. I didn't get a chance yet to try it out with the temps in the 80's yet. When I came to some stop and go stuff the temps didn't fluctuate much at the red lights. They remained pretty stable only going up 2 degrees or so and then going back down immediately once moving.

Last edited:

Woopaloop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80
So, before the VMP H/E (without fans) and phenolic spacer install I was seeing IAT's 35 degrees or so above ambient when the temps were in the mid to high 60's. I was seeing IAT's 26-30 degrees above ambient when the temps were in the mid 80's which I thought was strange. About an hour or more drive yesterday after the installs (mostly cruising) it was 68 degrees ambient and my IAT's were practically stuck at 87 degrees, no higher. I didn't get a chance yet to try it out with the temps in the 80's yet. When I came to some stop and go stuff the temps didn't fluctuate much at the red lights. They remained pretty stable only going up 2 degrees or so and then going back down immediately once moving.
This makes a lot of sense actually, heat from the air between is going to be minimal. I lm going to look at doing this when I eventually change the injectors on my EB.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
That's great news. I see my IAT2 running about 35 above ambient. I just need to get after it and get it done. I love driving this car so much, I don't want to put the car down for the week and a half to two weeks to get it done. Making an all new upper FEAD bracket will take me a week or more.

OP
OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
That's great news. I see my IAT2 running about 35 above ambient. I just need to get after it and get it done. I love driving this car so much, I don't want to put the car down for the week and a half to two weeks to get it done. Making an all new upper FEAD bracket will take me a week or more.
I'll be looking to see when you get yours done. But with your 2018, you may need other motor mounts because your hood slopes more than the '15-17's? Although the rise in engine height isn't very much as you can see. I'm hoping to get out in some 80 degree plus temps to see if the IAT-ambient spread goes down like it did before this install. It sounds screwed up I know, but that's the way mine has been.

OP
OP
WhiteyDog

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Well, since it's unseasonably hot here in the northeast, I thought this would be a good opportunity to see what my latest cooling mods would do against the higher temps. I drove it to my job site 46 miles away which is a good mix of open road cruising, stop and go red lights, and some open highway. The temp today was steady at 94 degrees and humid during my drive home, The majority of the trip my IAT2 was 106 degrees. (12 degrees above ambient). As I got into stop and go traffic, my IAT2 went to 108 and 109 degrees, and would then drop down after moving 10 seconds or so. After the stop and go traffic three quarters of my way home, the open highway came along and my IAT2 actually dropped to 10 degrees above ambient going 60-70 mph for the few miles that it lasted. The absolute highest spread it got to was 15 degrees above ambient and that was brief. Now just to be clear, my VMP triple pass H/E does NOT have the fans, I DO have the VMP upgraded intercooler pump, I'm using just the 50/50 coolant mix in the intercooler system, and I am NOT using any coolant additive. Both the H/E and phenolic spacers were installed at the same time, and my readings are from my Lund nGauge. I am absolutely over the moon happy with these results.
Sponsored