Sponsored

Pet Peeves

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Hello; Let me get this straight. There are signs telling us to merge for miles before a lane is closed. The people who do merge well before the other lane runs out are the guilty parties??? The folks who keep on driving in the soon to be closed lane, by your comment, are not the problem.

Yes you are correct in one sense. If I merge to the open lane and am moving at some reduced speed for a distance, I do resent those who drive in the soon to be closed lane past me and try to merge at the last moment.
Sorry, you just are not going to be able to function properly in a zipper procedure.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Sorry, you just are not going to be able to function properly in a zipper procedure.
Hello; I do the "zipper merge" just fine myself. Never had a problem merging at all. I am not the one who is running out of a lane to drive in. I will have merged some time before merging becomes almost impossible to do smoothly.
The highway workers give us plenty of warning, sometimes miles, to perform the merge. That some of you seem to think it is clever to run down to the last few yards and then try to merge is telling.

I go to a used book, record, CD, DVD, cameras, and more store called McKays on Papermill AV in Knoxville TN often. When I leave to come home I will get onto I 75/I 40. At the last red light on Papermill there is a designated lane for those turning right to get onto the on ramp. There are two other lanes for those continuing on Papermill. There is often a backup in that designated turn lane and I will have to wait a couple of red light cycles often.
It never fails that some will drive up to the light in the nearest left lane, then speed ahead and dash into the onramp lane. This is jumping the line to my mind.
Every now and then I will be first in line at the red light. I will match the acceleration of the car to my left. If they go on it is fine. If they had planned to jump over into my lane I am there. Then they have to decide what to do.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Hello; I do the "zipper merge" just fine myself. Never had a problem merging at all. I am not the one who is running out of a lane to drive in. I will have merged some time before merging becomes almost impossible to do smoothly.
The highway workers give us plenty of warning, sometimes miles, to perform the merge. That some of you seem to think it is clever to run down to the last few yards and then try to merge is telling.

I go to a used book, record, CD, DVD, cameras, and more store called McKays on Papermill AV in Knoxville TN often. When I leave to come home I will get onto I 75/I 40. At the last red light on Papermill there is a designated lane for those turning right to get onto the on ramp. There are two other lanes for those continuing on Papermill. There is often a backup in that designated turn lane and I will have to wait a couple of red light cycles often.
It never fails that some will drive up to the light in the nearest left lane, then speed ahead and dash into the onramp lane. This is jumping the line to my mind.
Every now and then I will be first in line at the red light. I will match the acceleration of the car to my left. If they go on it is fine. If they had planned to jump over into my lane I am there. Then they have to decide what to do.
What the actual hell? You are wrong here.What you do is causing the problem and making merging worse!

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
What the actual hell? You are wrong here.What you do is causing the problem and making merging worse!
Hello; The guy was in the lane marked to continue straight on. I was in the proper lane for the right turn. I was where I was supposed to be. He was trying to make an improper turn into my lane, yet you think I am in the wrong. This was not a merging situation. If you were to turn right the lights, road markings and signs made it clear which lane to be in. He was in a lane designated for straight ahead driving. He was just trying to jump ahead and avoid having to wait in line at the light. So I am following the posted traffic signs and indicators and somehow I am in the wrong according to you. He is making an illegal turn and he is in the right according to you.
Nice going, at least it matches the logic you often express in many posts.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello; The guy was in the lane marked to continue straight on. I was in the proper lane for the right turn. I was where I was supposed to be. He was trying to make an improper turn into my lane, yet you think I am in the wrong. This was not a merging situation. If you were to turn right the lights, road markings and signs made it clear which lane to be in. He was in a lane designated for straight ahead driving. He was just trying to jump ahead and avoid having to wait in line at the light. So I am following the posted traffic signs and indicators and somehow I am in the wrong according to you. He is making an illegal turn and he is in the right according to you.
Nice going, at least it matches the logic you often express in many posts.
My bad in quoting your entire post. I was replying to the first paragraph. If you watched the video it is about zippering Not some dick cutting in front of you at a light (which no one was talking about)

You are wrong about zippering.

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
People who can’t stay in their lane

People who can’t park

The people noted above who act like it’s no big deal when damage is done. Most of the time they don’t care because their vehicle, attitude, and/or life sucks.

People who think the world revolves around them

People who don’t understand what hazard lights mean and endlessly honk at you instead of going around, while you’re stuck on the side of the road with a dead fuel pump waiting for the tow truck that can’t get to you due to people that refuse to just go around 🤪

People who make “x amount of things you didn’t know about your Mustang” YouTube videos that incorrectly identify the sunglasses holder as coin storage, key storage, or whatever they can come up with. In summary-Media Inaccuracies

Racing, exhaust, etc videos with music! WTH I don’t care about your music I wanted to hear the cars

Last edited:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saying Mildstone instead of Milestone

All timers disease vs Alzheimer's Disease

Mute vs Moot

Belief vs Fact

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hello; Let me get this straight. There are signs telling us to merge for miles before a lane is closed. The people who do merge well before the other lane runs out are the guilty parties??? The folks who keep on driving in the soon to be closed lane, by your comment, are not the problem.

Yes you are correct in one sense. If I merge to the open lane and am moving at some reduced speed for a distance, I do resent those who drive in the soon to be closed lane past me and try to merge at the last moment.
Yes, you are the problem. We need less people like you. Sorry. It has clearly been explained why and you don't understand.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Yes, you are the problem. We need less people like you. Sorry. It has clearly been explained why and you don't understand.
Hello; This is an interesting thing. Best I can figure is those railing against my point of view are the ones who like to speed on in the lane to be closed soon and expect we drivers who merged already to let them in at the last little bit.
So we who use the message from the signs and do merge (zipper merge if such is the name for it) before the last few yards are the problem. We are following the directions given on the road signs.
The zipper merge thing is what I do as it turns out. I see a merge soon sign and drive along until I get a space to pull over into without disrupting traffic. I will then be in the open lane. That I and the others who have merged into the open lane are somehow thought to be the problem is rich.

Those who just have to drive as far as possible in the soon to be closed lane and then plan to find a gap are the problem. By the nature of such a road repair site some things happen. One is the speed limit is usually posted to be much slower so people slow down for that. As they slow down they close up the distance between them and the car ahead, so the easy to get into open spaces become less and less.
Back a distance of maybe miles when the speed limit was still normal there always lots of spaces to pull into. I know because I have done this many times.

We will just have to disagree. My being in the proper lane is not causing a traffic jam. Those waiting to the last second then trying to merge cause the jams.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We will just have to disagree. My being in the proper lane is not causing a traffic jam. Those waiting to the last second then trying to merge cause the jams.
Here you go again, your view is contrary to the recommendation based on...wait for it...wait for it...DATA! In fact, you are 180 degrees out of phase.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He has feelings on the subject though...

OP
OP
The Demon

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Let’s all just do what we all do. :giggle:

ADA68646-F0C9-4FB3-958A-1CAEEEDCCEC2.jpeg

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
People on CAR forums who don't know the difference between BRAKES and BREAKS!!!!!!!!!! Gimme a BRAKE!! HAHAHA!!
Sponsored