Sponsored

Performance Pack removes the spoiler for nothing?

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
Can someone explain me that? If you add GT performance pack on a fastback, it replaces the stock spoiler with a “performance package raised rear spoiler” which probably makes a lot of sense. But on convertible, this simply triggers “spoiler delete” option which removes the stock spoiler for nothing.

Ok, maybe the special “performance package” spoiler is not compatible with convertible (why?) But even with that, why remove the stock spoiler then?
Sponsored

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
The spoiler looks good, but it serves no purpose. It was designed and shaped to only counteract itself. So no additional downforce, or drag.

move read that the vert has different shape quarters, maybe they’re slightly different in the back so the spoiler doesn’t fit well where it over hangs?

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
But if you select the California Special package a pedestal spoiler is added to the convertible. Go figure.

OP
OP
Pronichkin

Pronichkin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Artem
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv (totaled by a puma); 2021 GT Conv PP1
But if you select the California Special package a pedestal spoiler is added to the convertible. Go figure.
well, California package is not compatible with GT performance pack. So, you either get California (and hence raised spoiler) or Performance pack (and hence no spoiler whatsoever.) Yep, that's also counter-intuitive, but at least explainable.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
My understanding is that there's a convertible-compatible version of the CS spoiler, but not the Performance Pack.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
FWIW, the 15-17 Perf Pack deleted the wing from the Coupe as well.

move read that the vert has different shape quarters, maybe they’re slightly different in the back so the spoiler doesn’t fit well where it over hangs?
Yeah, the trunk has a different contour (not sure if the fenders are different, but maybe, to accommodate the trunk lid), a few folks here have experienced this with using a Coupe specific aftermarket wing (which doesn't sit totally flush).

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
FWIW, the 15-17 Perf Pack deleted the wing from the Coupe as well.

Yeah, the trunk has a different contour (not sure if the fenders are different, but maybe, to accommodate the trunk lid), a few folks here have experienced this with using a Coupe specific aftermarket wing (which doesn't sit totally flush).
the quarters are definitely different simply due to the lack of a roof. But idk if it’s be different that far back, same with the trunk.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
the quarters are definitely different simply due to the lack of a roof. But idk if it’s be different that far back, same with the trunk.
Oh yeah, the rear quarters are definitely different, just wasn't sure about where they meet the edge of the trunk, though that's probably likely :)

The trunk lid is absolutely different, which is why there are two variants of some wings, like the BMC GT350, there's a specific part for Coupes vs. Convertibles, they only make contact with the trunk lid, and the wrong one won't sit perfectly flush.

In fact, a guy here tried a MY18+ coupe Perf Pack wing and it had an odd tilt - the mounting points didn't seem off, but it has small contact points - you use something like the BMC, or an MMD that sits flush all the way across, the ends with have a visible gap (I had a coupe MMD/Foose wing, and now a BMC GT350 designed for verts :D)

Last edited:

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Even the black panel in the back is convertible-specific. Mine actually says it on a label.

CVcashmere

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Even the black panel in the back is convertible-specific. Mine actually says it on a label.

CVcashmere
That part is actually the same for all S550 models, variants, etc. :) If you lookup the blank panel, part# M-16600-MA, you'll see it says all Mustang models 15-20.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It’s a convertible. Convertibles aren’t meant to be true performance cars for many reasons. The convertible is an accommodation to increase sales of an existing platform for those who want such things. Most tracks will want a full roll bar installed if allowed at all. On the flip side, for cruising, a convertible is fun.
So the whole spoiler conversation is purely cosmetic.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice pics!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Nice pics!
:D

Hahaha, to be clear, I totally get what you meant.

Certainly, there's limits to what can be done, and probably what __should__ be done in a convertible, and compromises made - but there's definitely some extremely capable droptops that have all sorts of aero and whatnot.

To be honest, I think it was just a mix of "This is fine ..." and your assertion about convertibles, I mean, until MY18, even the Perf Pack Coupes didn't get any kind of rear wing.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Certainly, there's limits to what can be done, and probably what __should__ be done in a convertible, and compromises made - but there's definitely some extremely capable droptops that have all sorts of aero and whatnot.

To be honest, I think it was just a mix of "This is fine ..." and your assertion about convertibles, I mean, until MY18, even the Perf Pack Coupes didn't get any kind of rear wing.

I don’t like big spoilers as a rule, but on a convertible it looks really weird to me.
Sponsored