Performance Pack 2 as daily driver

Jesse_FL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
'16 BMW 228, '17 Chevy Cruze, '11 Chrysler 300C, '05 Nissan Xterra
I have never ordered a brand new car before, but I have been saving for the 2020 model year to open on the Mustang and place my first order. At first, I thought I would place an order for a GT premium with 400a interior adding only Performance Pack 1 and B&O sound. Then I went down the rabbit hole of Reddit and Youtube and everyone is raving about the digital dashes, so I watched a few videos and it kind of sold me on it. Now I'm looking at the 401a interior, but still Performance Pack 1 and B&O sound.

I'm sure I do not want the adaptive sound exhaust. I don't care about the changing sound levels, and I might swap out the exhaust later in the future. But the Magneride suspension has me really curious. I drive a BMW 2-series today with adaptive suspension and I think it is cool, but it is not something I must have. I could easily drive a traditional sport suspension and be happy. I am worried the Magneride is like the digital dash - something I didn't think I need but everyone raves about it. What are the thoughts on the Magneride, am I crazy for sticking with traditional suspension?

I am very handy in the garage and would like to work on the Mustang a couple years down the road, so keeping with traditional suspension would make it easy to upgrade in the future. If I paid for the Magneride I would feel like I could never replace the suspension because it cost so much.

Then again - what if I just went all in with Performance Pack 2 (which includes Magneride) and focused my future upgrades on other areas. It would be cool to have the adaptive suspension. Are the fat tires in PP2 usable in a daily commute? I live in FL so winter/snow is not a concern and the roads are generally in good shape compared to the rust belt. But I still want a comfortable commute to work and back each day without fighting the tracking of the car.

I guess I'm looking for a sanity check. Stick with GT Premium with 401a & PP1 and skip exhaust/magneride so I can upgrade in the future, or go all in with PP2 and focus upgrades on other things?

6MT is mandatory for me so that is not a factory between PP1 and PP2. Thanks for reading I'm just trying to figure out what I want before orders open. Speaking of which - any idea when MY2020 orders will open? April?
Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
But the Magneride suspension has me really curious. I drive a BMW 2-series today with adaptive suspension and I think it is cool, but it is not something I must have. I could easily drive a traditional sport suspension and be happy. I am worried the Magneride is like the digital dash - something I didn't think I need but everyone raves about it. What are the thoughts on the Magneride, am I crazy for sticking with traditional suspension?
Don't base your decision on the BMW system, take the time to find a Mustang with MagnaRide to see what it's like. I have a BMW 2-series with the adaptive suspension and it is nothing like the MagnaRide suspension in the Mustang that I test drove. I've ordered MR for mine as a result. I would not have done so if it behaved like the BMW system.

Last edited:

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
The tires on the PP2 are not what you are looking for based on what you describe. Replace the tires and sell the stock ones and you should be set.

Stiffness wise I think it is fine. It's not going to ride like a Lexus but it isn't bad.

While your adding to your list make sure you check off Recaro's. Well worth it.

OP
OP

Jesse_FL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
The tires on the PP2 are not what you are looking for based on what you describe. Replace the tires and sell the stock ones and you should be set.

Stiffness wise I think it is fine. It's not going to ride like a Lexus but it isn't bad.

While your adding to your list make sure you check off Recaro's. Well worth it.
I would have to replace tires and wheels, right? The PP2 wheels are wider than normal. Is it worth it over ordering PP1 + Magneride?

I would like the recaro seats but they are not ventilated as far as I can tell. I need cooled seats in Florida lol.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I daily drove a 301A PP2 with Cloth Recaros and Active Exhaust for about 11 months or 7300 miles. The only thing I did was swap the stock tires with Michelin PS4S in the same size and sold the stock tires. Leather Recaros are not ventilated and are manual but they are way better than the regular leather seats. The cloth Recaros are even better because you shouldn't have a problem with the heat and they should be even lighter than the leather Recaros. If you want the 400/401 though it's leather only (you can probably get the cloth covers on ebay and swap them. I've seen the leather ones for sale.). Overall, the car was a blast to daily drive. In my opinion, it's the best Mustang available for the street given the price and performance offered. Just make sure you get one which doesn't have the BBQ tick, 2K RPM rattle or the Clutch grind. For more information on those problems, visit the Issues, Repairs, Warranty sub-forum.:)

Sponsored

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Welcome to the forum.

I have a build date of Mar 4th for my PP2. I decided to go this route because it seems the bang for the buck is greater than just getting the PP1 with Magnaride given the added performance upgrades. I got the 401A with the regular leather seats. I am worried tha tthe Recaros will not be comfortable for me. Purely a personal preference. I too plan on swapping out the tires right and way.

I am here in Orlando too. We'll have to meet up sometime.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I live in FL so winter/snow is not a concern and the roads are generally in good shape compared to the rust belt. But I still want a comfortable commute to work and back each day without fighting the tracking of the car.
I just moved from Oviedo back to South Carolina. I'd never want to drive the PSC2 tires on I-4, or even up and down Alafaya. The first thing I'd do is swap the tires.

I think Magneride is an absolute must, and even with a 2016, I'm contemplating spending the money to install the digital dash.

JR

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I would have to replace tires and wheels, right? The PP2 wheels are wider than normal. Is it worth it over ordering PP1 + Magneride?

I would like the recaro seats but they are not ventilated as far as I can tell. I need cooled seats in Florida lol.
No just order a set of whatever Conti's or Michelin's you want. Have a shop install the new tires on the factory wheels and sell the used tires. Or just try the SC2's until they wear out (8-12k) miles and then put on the DWS's or MP4S's.

I took off my SC2's, sold them, bought an aftermarket set or wheels and has the AS3+'s mounted for the cold months here. Put the MP4S's on the factory wheel for summer time. If you don't have cold months just go with the MP4S's.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Yeah, Chevrolet seems to find a way to put heated / cooled Recaros in their cars. Why can't Ford?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jesse_FL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for all the great replies. I assumed PP2 would be pretty terrible to daily drive but it sounds like a simple tire swap will fix it. At this point I'm leaning toward GT Premium with 401a and PP2 in either Orange Fury or Ruby Red...probably orange though. I'll add a stripe to differentiate it from CoryinOrlando lol.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for all the great replies. I assumed PP2 would be pretty terrible to daily drive but it sounds like a simple tire swap will fix it. At this point I'm leaning toward GT Premium with 401a and PP2 in either Orange Fury or Ruby Red...probably orange though. I'll add a stripe to differentiate it from CoryinOrlando lol.
Hahahaa to be honest I am torn between the PP2 and GT350......it’s maddening.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I went 301A with cloth Recaros and active exhaust. I swapped the SC2's before it left the dealer with the same 305/30/19 square setup. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. No problem for a daily driver. Magneride in normal mode is quite comfortable. I usually drive in sport mode to firm it up a bit. Track mode is noticeably more firm and a little less forgiving over the bumps. That's the beauty of the Magneride. You can go from comfortable to track focused with the flip of a switch. The active exhaust in sport mode sounds really good. I'm going resonator delete with H-pipe just to add a few decibels. I'm older, so I still prefer the analog gauges to the digital. I had an '18 Ecoboost rental for a week in Florida with the digital gauge. It was just a turnoff to me.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
I went 301A with cloth Recaros and active exhaust. I swapped the SC2's before it left the dealer with the same 305/30/19 square setup. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing. No problem for a daily driver. Magneride in normal mode is quite comfortable. I usually drive in sport mode to firm it up a bit. Track mode is noticeably more firm and a little less forgiving over the bumps. That's the beauty of the Magneride. You can go from comfortable to track focused with the flip of a switch. The active exhaust in sport mode sounds really good. I'm going resonator delete with H-pipe just to add a few decibels. I'm older, so I still prefer the analog gauges to the digital. I had an '18 Ecoboost rental for a week in Florida with the digital gauge. It was just a turnoff to me.
I would be interested in hearing the H pipe when you get it finished.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I would be interested in hearing the H pipe when you get it finished.
Ha ha! So would I. I bought the Steeda H-pipe for $103.96 back at Thanksgiving. Damn weather has sucked. I want to dyno it before I install it just to see if there's any difference at all. Not sure I'll be driving it to Florida, but I'll try some vids. For exhaust though, those usually aren't worth much.
Sponsored