Performance guess?

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
I know this car is not designed as a straight line racer, but the drag racer in me is very curious! I've heard rumors of 500 pounds lighter the my gt pp and also heard 540 hp. Those two key ingredients makes me wonder what it could/would run at the track? That would mean it's in the 3200-3300 lbs range. The old z06 was in the 3200 range in I remember correctly and made 505 hp and was a beast at the 1/4 mile track.

I know people are going to complain I shouldn't even be thinking about 1/4 mile times because it's design is for road racing, but I don't ever get a chance to do that. I do how ever get to do on ramp blasts and stop light racing. Luckily for me ford doesn't check for my scca membership badge as I'm writing the check for my new gt350r.

So does anyone want to guess what it could run? I'm very excited about this car because of the voodoo engine. I want a 700 plus hp gt500, but I don't think it will be based on the voodoo and it really appeals to me at this time or at least till the gt500 comes back.

Sorry to all the road racing purists for this question.
Sponsored

Caballo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's not that light. Ford has stated that the GT350 weighs about the same as a base car, so figure a little under 3700 and the 350R weighs 130lbs less so figure about 3550. I have to imagine the motor is able to hit the 100hp per liter mark so I think 520-550 is a safe guess. With it having a traditional manual trans, 520+hp and wide sticky rubber I'd guess the 350R around an 11.7, maybe faster depending on track prep. Thats plenty quick, and I expect it to beat most everything under 100k around a circuit, save for maybe the new Z06. Thats assuming you can find one under $100k, most I've seen are optioned out and marked up beyond that number.

thegabrielles

Long time Mustang Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2011 ROush Stage 2 Convertible
This is pulled from the GT350R sticky at the top.. page 4 by IGJoe2192
Originally Posted by 1320' View Post
"Ford Racing School" on Facebook.

"Introducing the all new #GT350R...
Flat plane crank V8 with at least 500 horsepower
Ford's first ever magnetic ride suspension
130 pounds lighter than the GT350
500 pounds lighter than Mustang GT

It goes on. Again, take with a grain of salt, but this is an official FORD facebook page.

This means that that GT350 will have some weight drop , 370lbs below a GT. The question is, How accurate are those numbers and how many will order the GT350R with no radio, A/C, etc to keep the weight that low. Should be interesting either way! Cant wait for the road test numbers!!!!

asphal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
This is pulled from the GT350R sticky at the top.. page 4 by IGJoe2192
Originally Posted by 1320' View Post
"Ford Racing School" on Facebook.

"Introducing the all new #GT350R...
Flat plane crank V8 with at least 500 horsepower
Ford's first ever magnetic ride suspension
130 pounds lighter than the GT350
500 pounds lighter than Mustang GT

It goes on. Again, take with a grain of salt, but this is an official FORD facebook page.

This means that that GT350 will have some weight drop , 370lbs below a GT. The question is, How accurate are those numbers and how many will order the GT350R with no radio, A/C, etc to keep the weight that low. Should be interesting either way! Cant wait for the road test numbers!!!!
Damn did I miss this? It is no longer on their page.

Sounds inconceivable that the GT350 is 350 pounds lighter than the GT. Doubt it lost that much. Where did all the weight go?

Satan

Overlord.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13' Boss.
If it's 540HP at 3200 lbs it'll go 125+ on the quarter.

Sponsored

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
Well since I gave you guys the specs on the gt350r well in advanced and it all came true. I wonder if I should give away the hp and performance numbers too ;)

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Well since I gave you guys the specs on the gt350r well in advanced and it all came true. I wonder if I should give away the hp and performance numbers too ;)
Of course you should!

Here is my guess:
GT350 = 3700 lbs
GT350R = 3600 lbs
Power = 535 (might be on the high side, but that was my guess in November, so I'm sticking with it).

GT350 1/4 Mile = 11.8 @ 119
GT350R 1/4 Mile = 11.6 @ 121

These are times on stock tires (not DR).

-T

GMAN6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
I'll guess consistent 11.5's

It's not as powerful as the outgoing GT500 but it is lighter and should get better traction with the better tires.

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Little bit slower trackaholic. The added downforce from the aero pieces slow it down. If you remove them you're almost on the money.

The Michelin pilot sport cup 2 tires on the gt350r give 60s similar to a nitto nt05r though. So consider that.

GMAN6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
I was just thinking about the Boss. One magazine got a 12.1 hero run out of it but I think it's safe to say it's easily a 12.5 car. So add 100 hp, lighter weight, flat plane crank has a wider and flatter torque curve, 315 wide tires. Yes, I'll stick with 11.5 and wouldn't be at all surprised if it's even faster.

Sponsored

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The gt350r is not going to be lighter than the boss 302 Laguna seca. It will be slightly more or about the same.

The suspension is not geared to transfer weight. It's rather stiff. Whether it has a magneride setting for drag racing is something I haven't seen yet.

Where id love it to be a mid 11 car it's a little bit slower than 11.5. Remove the aero bits and you have your number.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Little bit slower trackaholic. The added downforce from the aero pieces slow it down. If you remove them you're almost on the money.

The Michelin pilot sport cup 2 tires on the gt350r give 60s similar to a nitto nt05r though. So consider that.
Good point. I was thinking it might be a little faster than a C7 in trap speed due to better power/weight, but slightly slower in ET due to less optimal weight distribution and lack of an automatic transmission, which would make the launch more difficult. However, I wasn't considering the likely higher drag.

Subtract 2 MPH from each estimate. I'll leave the ET's the same:

GT350 = 11.8 @ 117
GT350R = 11.6 @ 119

I think those times will be "hero" times on stock tires, requiring good track prep and -DA. Achievable, but it won't be happening all the time. Magazines will be a few tenths slower.

-T

thegabrielles

Long time Mustang Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2011 ROush Stage 2 Convertible
Damn did I miss this? It is no longer on their page.

Sounds inconceivable that the GT350 is 350 pounds lighter than the GT. Doubt it lost that much. Where did all the weight go?
Those were not my numbers, and with specs I won't believe anything until I see it... By two different sources. Weight drop, when you think about fords comments. Paraphrasing- if it didn't help it go around the track faster, we got rid of it! No a/c, no radio, seat delete, carbon fiber pieces, and of course whees that are 18lbs lighter... Each! Not verified yet on that one. But I could see weight drop being substantial, weight distribution will almost likely be at or near 50/50, and those are some sticky tires. Aero should not have to much effect on 1/4 times so I think those Times should be about right., as always,the faster the car the more important the driver is, so it should be interesting to see!

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aero can play a drastic role on quarter times. This is a fact. Not someone's opinion. Look at the new z06 and viper ta packages. Their aero packages have a good hampering on their quarter times. Each lose a few tenths.

This car was not designed for the quarter mile. Remove the splitter and the spoiler and yes his car will knock off a few tenths. Until then it's going to be a bit slower than a 2013 gt500 in the quarter.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_s...omobilemaghub_AutomobileMag_20150114_38752547

The Ford Shelby GT350R Mustang is one of the stars of this year's Detroit auto show, raring to take on the likes of the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 at your nearest road course. We sat down with Ford Mustang chief engineer Dave Pericak to learn more about the track-ready coupe.

1. It set a Nürburgring lap time
The Ford Shelby GT350R Mustang lapped dozens of tracks during development testing, primarily in the U.S., but Ford Performance also took the car to Germany's famed Green Hell. Pericak ran the stopwatch while the GT350R lapped the Nordschleife but hasn't yet decided if he'll share that number publicly.
"I have the time. Yeah, we're very happy with the performance of that car, extremely happy with its lap times," he says. "Of course we know what it'll run. We just don't want to engage in that debate."

2. The new aero package is actually functional
Rather than simply reducing lift, Pericak says the GT350R's splitter and rear wing actually help produce "fantastic downforce" that pushes the car toward the ground. "That wing was designed out on the race track," he says. "It wasn't just some wing that the [design] studio came up with and we said, 'Wow, does that look cool.'"
Unfortunately, because the GT350R isn't quite ready for production, Pericak won't give a specific downforce number so as not to mislead us before the car hits showrooms: "We're still fine tuning it."

3. This is one of the first road cars to use carbon-fiber wheels
Ford buys the 19-inch carbon-fiber wheels (11 inches wide in front, 11.5 inches rear) from a supplier that Pericak won't name. The wheels are 13 pounds lighter than standard steel or alloy wheels, and Ford says they also are stronger. Cutting that much weight will pay huge dividends in the car's acceleration, braking, and handling, Pericak promises.
"No other major manufacturer has ever done that [use carbon wheels], and that's just due to the technical challenges that are due to durability," he says. But Ford has put the carbon-fiber wheels through its usual durability testing and has no concerns that they'll be too fragile for road use: "We don't believe so at all, or we wouldn't be doing it."
Instead, Pericak said the most difficult things about developing carbon-fiber wheels involved making sure they won't fade from sunlight exposure, and ensuring the wheels won't be damaged by the immense heat produced by the Brembo brakes.
Ford Shelby GT350R Mustang Rear Three Quarter
4. The Michelin PilotSportCup 2 tires were specifically tailored by Michelin for the GT350R
The high-performance tires -- 305/30ZR19 front, 315/30ZR19 rear -- have a special compound and tread pattern just for use on the Ford Shelby GT350R Mustang. Pericak says that Ford and Michelin worked on countless variables and changes, mostly concerning things like sidewall stiffness and the exact rubber compound used for the tread. Incidentally, those rear tires are slightly wider than those on a Camaro Z/28; that car packs 305/30ZR19 Pirellis all round.

5. Pricing will be somewhat reasonable
"It will not be out of reach of our competitors," Pericak says, though he of course can't yet offer an exact price for either the less-hardcore GT350 or this GT350R. But given that statement, we wouldn't expect the Ford Shelby GT350R Mustang to cost more than the Chevrolet Camaro Z/28, which starts at $75,000. More important, the addition of exotic bits like the carbon-fiber wheels won't make the R's price astronomical. Pericak said the price differential between the standard GT350 and the GT350R will be less than the gap between a well-equipped 2015 Ford Mustang GT and the regular GT350. Look for an official sticker price sometime this year.

6. It'll be a little louder and a little more powerful
One of the weight-saving measures was to remove the exhaust resonators that are fitted to the standard GT350. That means the GT350R will be louder and should produce a teensy bit more horsepower, though Pericak says Ford won't recertify the 5.2-liter flat-plane V-8 engine so it will get the same horsepower and torque rating as the non-R. But enthusiasts will know their GT350R makes just a little bit more power.
Sponsored