FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
In mainly looking to cut weight off the nose, to offset the I'll effects of a future super charger.

This car is already too heavy as is. And the majority of that is on the nose, making things worse.

I'll be due for battery replacement soon anyways. It's worth my money to cut some pounds while replacing it.

The car is not a daily, so I may look into lithium battery options. I could just plug it into a charger when parked. I'll relocate to the trunk. That would cut front end weight, and move what's left off the nose.
Relocating to trunk would certainly add balance, batteries are heavy and could benefit in the back
Sponsored

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
In mainly looking to cut weight off the nose, to offset the I'll effects of a future super charger.

This car is already too heavy as is. And the majority of that is on the nose, making things worse.

I'll be due for battery replacement soon anyways. It's worth my money to cut some pounds while replacing it.

The car is not a daily, so I may look into lithium battery options. I could just plug it into a charger when parked. I'll relocate to the trunk. That would cut front end weight, and move what's left off the nose.
Hey Jimmy Page,
There is a very long thread on Antigravity Batteries which save a lot of weight. I've been using one for 2 years, no issues.

Zoso

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
F150 mustang gt cb1000r
Hey Jimmy Page,
There is a very long thread on Antigravity Batteries which save a lot of weight. I've been using one for 2 years, no issues.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into it. Most dont catch the ledzepplin reference. Which brand/model battery have you been using?

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into it. Most dont catch the ledzepplin reference. Which brand/model battery have you been using?
I have the Antigravity H5. Most of the other guys were getting the smaller batteries (ATX), but I went with the larger one to allow for longer periods of parasitic draw. I've had the car sit for 2 weeks at a time with no issues. It weighs 8 lbs, vs. 31 lbs for the OEM. The ATXs can be 4 or 5 lbs depending on the model. But with those you will need to get a battery mounting bracket. The Antigravity thread has examples of what some of the guys have done for mounting the smaller ones. You would want to also get a lithium trickle-charger if you go with the ATX. The H5 just drops in, but it is slightly taller than OEM. It does touch the battery cover. The H5 also has the "restart" feature, where if the battery is dying (e.g. someone left the headlights on), it will cut off with enough power left to start the car once.

The nice thing about removing weight from that spot is that it is high relative to the GC. Relocating the standard battery to the spare well in the trunk is another good solution because it helps redistribute the weight for better front / rear balance. The reason I did not do that is that because I didn't want to add whatever weight 12' of copper would add.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Advanced auto doesn't offer the 'AutoCraft' anymore; they now carry 'DieHard' now, which is what I have, also in 96R size, which is stock. There's no need to change anything on the ECU, since it has the same specs as stock, except it's AGM. AGMs require slightly less voltage than wet cells, but the car doesn't charge at those levels anyway, hence no need to change anything. If you change the Ah rating, then you'd have to change the setting to the new size. By the way, there's no 96R AGM option on the FORScan menu I found, so I couldn't change it. Later read it wasn't needed, so left it alone. I did reset the BMS after replacing the battery. Probably not needed on an almost new car, but better to do it if you can IMO :).

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Advanced auto doesn't offer the 'AutoCraft' anymore; they now carry 'DieHard' now, which is what I have, also in 96R size, which is stock. There's no need to change anything on the ECU, since it has the same specs as stock, except it's AGM. AGMs require slightly less voltage than wet cells, but the car doesn't charge at those levels anyway, hence no need to change anything. If you change the Ah rating, then you'd have to change the setting to the new size. By the way, there's no 96R AGM option on the FORScan menu I found, so I couldn't change it. Later read it wasn't needed, so left it alone. I did reset the BMS after replacing the battery. Probably not needed on an almost new car, but better to do it if you can IMO :).
whats the bms and how did you do the reset?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have been looking for an AGM battery that properly fits the S550. Finally found one. Odyssey 96R-650

https://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/96r-600
t355_5e5ac4f51fee526dbe7a542435d38d31.jpg
Those bastards actually stopped making that battery ALREADY. It hasn't even been a full year since this post and it's already no longer available. Lol.
I'm buying one from AutoZone today assuming they honor their veteran discount.

It sounds like they resumed production at some point. Amazon has them as well as a few local auto part stores. Odyssey's on-line store has them out of stock at the moment.

For warranties It's not good if a brand drops a type for your size or a store drops a brand. I bought a Bosch from Pep Boys for my S550 4 years ago (3 yr full replacement). Died with a few months left but Pep Boys had closed all stores and just had service centers left. Those didn't carry Bosche, so they would only put in a Champion which now won't hold a charge a year later.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I'm just wondering what's the point of buying a performance battery?

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm just wondering what's the point of buying a performance battery?
Can't speak to the autozone batteries mentioned, but mine weighs 6 lbs. And turns the car over harder than the factory battery ever did.

Only downfall is if I ever need a jump haha

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Can't speak to the autozone batteries mentioned, but mine weighs 6 lbs. And turns the car over harder than the factory battery ever did.

Only downfall is if I ever need a jump haha
Ok, so follow up question lol. Why would you need to have your engine crank harder? I have the stock battery and it cranks right up every time. Would you need this for a heavily built engine?

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ok, so follow up question lol. Why would you need to have your engine crank harder? I have the stock battery and it cranks right up every time. Would you need this for a heavily built engine?
I didn't need it to. I was more impressed that a 6 lb lithium battery could turn over the motor faster than the factory battery.

And yes, Antigravity and Braille make a larger lithium battery for higher horsepower applications. I've only used the ATX20.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Gt350 guys get a tiny battery from the factory unlike the GT. So having free weight savings and improved capacity is a win win.
Sponsored