Pedal Commander type

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Just installed a pedal commander type device on my EB and will be sharing thoughts if anyone is interested.

It's got three 'go faster' modes and nine steps in each mode. Comfort, Fast Road and Race. The steps one to nine increase the amount of pedal input to the ECU. It also has normal mode which is completely stock. When I ordered it, it was calibrated at the factory for the EB and a manual.

First things first, I put it in comfort and on step 5. The acceleration was better than stock and the sport mode was not affected, by which I mean the sport mode still did it's usual thing - made the car slightly quicker and stiffened the steering. I gradually dialled up to Fast Road 7, but this was too much. Great in third gear, got rid of a lot of lag but quick in second, probably too quick in 1st.

What is nice is the lack of travel now which really used to annoy me. The pedal travel on these things is incredibly long and the amount of times I don't put my foot down just because I'm not used to pushing the pedal that far to get 'normal' or decent acceleration.

I'll update more after a few more drives. I get the feeling I will be dialling it down a little, however it's really nice to at least have eliminated the colossal pedal travel.
Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
You do know it's not making the car any more powerful it's just advancing the amount of driver demanded acceleration? i.e. you request 10% throttle, the pedal commander outputs that to the PCM as 20%?

The only way you'll genuinely increase power is through a remap or other modifications, Mander is well up on safe EcoBoost tuning.

Also, the sport, sport+ and track modes on the Mustang do largely the same thing if you want to try that out as a comparison.

OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Oh yeah, I'm fully aware it doesn't increase power...lol

It essentially gives you a 27 step throttle response so you can litterally programme your own pedal response to how you like it. I don't like to have to push the pedal down too far to get more power, I'd rather tickle the throttle, akin to some of my other cars. The Ford Mustang has huge pedal travel meaning that inputs have to tbe large to make progress. The large travel stops me from using the power as I'm often not pushing down hard enough. This completely changes that.

A side point to all this is that (and if you watch some of the USA YouTubers), it really does make the car seem properly sprightly now. It's a weird, psychological thing. I recommend it at the moment.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
the long pedal travel is to give you more control over how much throttle you actually get, to smooth out the drive and not spin out at the roundabout due to a heavy foot. Just learn how far you need to push the pedal til you get full throttle then modulate every time you give it some :)

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It essentially gives you a 27 step throttle response so you can litterally programme your own pedal response to how you like it. I don't like to have to push the pedal down too far to get more power, I'd rather tickle the throttle, akin to some of my other cars. The Ford Mustang has huge pedal travel meaning that inputs have to tbe large to make progress. The large travel stops me from using the power as I'm often not pushing down hard enough. This completely changes that.

A side point to all this is that (and if you watch some of the USA YouTubers), it really does make the car seem properly sprightly now. It's a weird, psychological thing. I recommend it at the moment.
How does it compare to Sport, Sport+ etc?

Sponsored

OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
How does it compare to Sport, Sport+ etc?
It all depends on how you've got it set up, but I would say all the Fast Road settings are more throttle responsive than Sport or Track.

OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
I've just been reading up a bit and it's more intelligent than just giving you more juice for less travel, which is probably why it feels better than you'd imagine.

The fly by wire throttle reponse is essentially the pedal travel is divided into percent. 0% being nothing, 100% being full throttle. The acceleration is evenly distrubuted 10%, 20%, 30% et.c as you travel through. Depending on what mode, you don't just get 20%, 40%, 60% by comparision, you may get 10%, 25%, 40% etc. or 15%, 25%, 45% so it really is a case of finding something that suits.

What is also interesting is this that apparently there is software built in to the ECU that ramps up to a given throttle position. For example, you push down and stop at say 40%, apparently when in stock mode, the ECU builds up over a small amount of time. With this, the input to the ECU is instant. You ask for 40%, it gives you 40% instantly.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've just been reading up a bit and it's more intelligent than just giving you more juice for less travel, which is probably why it feels better than you'd imagine.

The fly by wire throttle reponse is essentially the pedal travel is divided into percent. 0% being nothing, 100% being full throttle. The acceleration is evenly distrubuted 10%, 20%, 30% et.c as you travel through. Depending on what mode, you don't just get 20%, 40%, 60% by comparision, you may get 10%, 25%, 40% etc. or 15%, 25%, 45% so it really is a case of finding something that suits.

What is also interesting is this that apparently there is software built in to the ECU that ramps up to a given throttle position. For example, you push down and stop at say 40%, apparently when in stock mode, the ECU builds up over a small amount of time. With this, the input to the ECU is instant. You ask for 40%, it gives you 40% instantly.
Yeah, that’s the built in filtering mechanism which is being overridden. It’s there to protect against unintended throttle inputs and give the driver a fighting chance if they find traction or the situation they’re in is actually less than they expected and they want to reduce their throttle input. It also makes the throttle inputs smoother and more predictable especially over rougher surfaces where the leg can’t remain perfectly still in relation to the throttle pedal position.

Out of interest what tyres are you running?

OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that’s the built in filtering mechanism which is being overridden. It’s there to protect against unintended throttle inputs and give the driver a fighting chance if they find traction or the situation they’re in is actually less than they expected and they want to reduce their throttle input. It also makes the throttle inputs smoother and more predictable especially over rougher surfaces where the leg can’t remain perfectly still in relation to the throttle pedal position.

Out of interest what tyres are you running?
pilot sport 4s

OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Hello - update

I started with the stage five of the Fast Road settings, but since dialed this right down. Although extremely sprightly, it was chirping the back wheels on take off in anything other than the dryest conditions. I came into what they call the Comfort settings and currently settled on stage 8 (2nd highest from the top). The car is completely changed. It feels more powerful and the throttle acceleration is instant. There's no lag whatsoever making the car feel less lazy and sluggish. At the moment I can recommend 100%, especially for EB owners.

Sponsored

lokerola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I may get a similar product for my GT. I do use normal drive mode most of the time, and I feel like I just need a bit more throttle response off the line. I could go into sport or plus mode, but that's too aggressive for most of the morning commute. It would be nice to just dial in a bit more throttle response in comfort/drive.

Thanks for posting the review.

OP
OP
andyturbo2000

andyturbo2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
What’s interesting is that when I have passengers in the car, I can dial up the pedal feel so I completely eradicate the ‘feeling’ of the extra weight. I just upped the sensitivity by one/two notches to account for the change in weight. Excellent thing so far.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I

I Feel the same way, my 19 GT Premium, A10, PP1 takes way to much pedal to get the engine to rev up. It's very annoying to say the least, I don't give a crap about it adding HP, I hate the amount of throttle it takes to get the engine to rev up. How do you like yours? Are their other brands that you hear people like more?. Thank you

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Standard pedal mapping :

Here you go!
20210607_181503.jpg
20210607_193709.jpg
Note that this is different to what I had seen previously though … ?

WD :like:
Sponsored