Passenger wiper arm disconnected

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Nice discovery this morning, put on washers and only the driver side wiper swept, the passenger side wobbled and didn't move. I assume the linkage has separated, anyone had this or repaired it? Any tips.
Guessing Ill have to take the shroud off and of course it'll be the side of the linkage in the middle of the car that'll be disconnected so I'll have the furthest to reach :(
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is the spindle rotating inside the arm ?

I took one of my arms off and the splines on the spindle are very sharp and pointed, the bore of the arm only had slight marks from the spindle - it's not like a traditional spline so I suppose it's possible they could slip if not really tight (which mine were from the factory).

WD :like:

OP
OP
jwt

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Something is moving because the passenger arm is wobbling at the pivot point when I turn on the wipers. Haven't had a chance to properly look yet, at work.

OP
OP
jwt

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
You were dead right. Passenger side nut was more than hand tight but easily turned another 90 degrees. Problem solved. Driver side nipped up as well.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Glad it fixed it :like:

You didn’t happen to take the arm off and look inside the bore did you ?

I’m interested as after looking at mine I had this theory :

“I think the arms are cast with a plain tapered bore (cheaper to manufacture). The arm is soft. The spindle is hard and the splines on the spindle are tapered and sharp. I think the (very shallow) splines I now see in my wiper arm are created upon first assembly, I think the spindle cuts the spline into the arm as it is torqued down. In my 'opinion' the spline in the arm is way to shallow to be purposely manufactured like that :like: If anyone reading this has seen a brand new mustang arm before fitment they could confirm this one way or another”

On this thread :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-do-you-deal-with-this.151134/page-6#post-3094576

Your findings back up my theory i.e. there is not a true spline in there and more of a tapered interference joint where the sharp splined spindle simply bites into the soft wiper arm.

If there was a traditional spline in there and even if the arm was loose, it would still drive / rotate the arm unless it fell completely off.

I think this is why the wipers are typically ‘very’ tight from the factory (but obviously not in your case thanks to flat rock … lol)

It would be nice to know if my theory is ‘ridiculous’ or not, perhaps the aliens did indeed visit flat rock … :giggle:

Sponsored

RSPEK 178

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
MY20 Mustang R Spec
Glad it fixed it :like:

You didn’t happen to take the arm off and look inside the bore did you ?

I’m interested as after looking at mine I had this theory :

“I think the arms are cast with a plain tapered bore (cheaper to manufacture). The arm is soft. The spindle is hard and the splines on the spindle are tapered and sharp. I think the (very shallow) splines I now see in my wiper arm are created upon first assembly, I think the spindle cuts the spline into the arm as it is torqued down. In my 'opinion' the spline in the arm is way to shallow to be purposely manufactured like that :like: If anyone reading this has seen a brand new mustang arm before fitment they could confirm this one way or another”

On this thread :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-do-you-deal-with-this.151134/page-6#post-3094576

Your findings back up my theory i.e. there is not a true spline in there and more of a tapered interference joint where the sharp splined spindle simply bites into the soft wiper arm.

If there was a traditional spline in there and even if the arm was loose, it would still drive / rotate the arm unless it fell completely off.

I think this is why the wipers are typically ‘very’ tight from the factory (but obviously not in your case thanks to flat rock … lol)

It would be nice to know if my theory is ‘ridiculous’ or not, perhaps the aliens did indeed visit flat rock … :giggle:

Hey guys,
First time I used mine in rain (I know what was I thinking) the passenger side stopped working. I checked out and thought it was a taper lock arrangement that just had not been nipped up enough. I adjusted and it’s been fine since.
Cheers Mark

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,
First time I used mine in rain (I know what was I thinking) the passenger side stopped working. I checked out and thought it was a taper lock arrangement that just had not been nipped up enough. I adjusted and it’s been fine since.
Cheers Mark
I need solid evidence before I can jump back on that other thread and silence my critics … :cwl:

The theory is stacking up quite well though, so thanks for the additional comments :like:

edit to add that fords torque for that joint is 26 ft/lbs (I think that’s telling in itself)

OP
OP
jwt

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Sotty I didn't, just used the muscle memory torque meter and gave it a mild "umph" tighten, you know the one 10 or 20 percent below worrying threads will strip :)
Sponsored