Passenger carpet flooding

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have this problem where the passenger carpet, especially the rear and under the seat and that space between the seat and the door is flooding with water.

I had a shop run a hose over my car yesterday to diagnose the problem but they didn't find anything. They even checked the drain plug under the battery.

Today, well it rained all last night and continues to rain. I went to my car and noticed there's more water today than yesterday!

I've already used a wetvac and numerous cycles of soaking up the water with towels. I was at a point a week ago where the carpet felt mostly dry but there was a slight squish when you dug a finger in.

But now it's back to noticeable water droplets and clearly it's sucked up more water.

The thing is, nothing else but the floor carpet is wet. The front passenger carpet is fine. The dash doesn't look wet, the seat doesn't look wet.

A few months ago I had a shop hardwire a RD for me and they went inside the passenger A Pillar to run a wire up.

The same shop also did other work for me and I believe had to remove the front bumper as part of that work

That's all I could think of that may have contributed to this, but I never noticed this problem until a few weeks ago, well after any of that labor was performed. So I'm not thinking that shop caused the problem as i washed my car many times since that work was done so I would have been inside the passenger side while detailing and I'd have noticed it.

It's not a big deal now since it's relatively cold, but once it warms up it might start to mold or mildew...
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You guys opened up my mind and I actually have a rough idea of where the leak is now! It's a little worse than I thought too.

The water is coming in somewhere from the top rear windshield on the passenger side right in the corner. It looks like it's been trickling in that way for a while now I'd guess. I also observed water underneath the rear seat where I observed the trickling water had a direct path to. So it's not actually going on the seat, but between the side panel and the seat.

I checked the door jam sticker thing and funny enough the sticker is there on the passenger side, wet but there. On the driver side it's not even adhered anymore (but still there). So in this case I don't think the issue is this sticker *especially* since I can see a clear water trail guiding the water to the trouble area.

But it may not be a bad idea to buy that kit from LMR anyway just to be sure on those holes.

I'm going to check over those links @Cobra Jet especially the one about the rear windshield.

And thank you @Skye for pointing me in the right direction. I don't know why I didn't notice that water trail before.

killshot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT, 2024 Mustang GT
I have this problem where the passenger carpet, especially the rear and under the seat and that space between the seat and the door is flooding with water.

I had a shop run a hose over my car yesterday to diagnose the problem but they didn't find anything. They even checked the drain plug under the battery.

Today, well it rained all last night and continues to rain. I went to my car and noticed there's more water today than yesterday!

I've already used a wetvac and numerous cycles of soaking up the water with towels. I was at a point a week ago where the carpet felt mostly dry but there was a slight squish when you dug a finger in.

But now it's back to noticeable water droplets and clearly it's sucked up more water.

The thing is, nothing else but the floor carpet is wet. The front passenger carpet is fine. The dash doesn't look wet, the seat doesn't look wet.

A few months ago I had a shop hardwire a RD for me and they went inside the passenger A Pillar to run a wire up.

The same shop also did other work for me and I believe had to remove the front bumper as part of that work

That's all I could think of that may have contributed to this, but I never noticed this problem until a few weeks ago, well after any of that labor was performed. So I'm not thinking that shop caused the problem as i washed my car many times since that work was done so I would have been inside the passenger side while detailing and I'd have noticed it.

It's not a big deal now since it's relatively cold, but once it warms up it might start to mold or mildew...
My 2008 GT had the same issue. I removed the windshield cowl and fished around for the drain tube. It was full of debri. After I cleaned it out, I didn't notice the problem anymore. I need to do this about every 3 or 4 years.

Hopefully, this will take care of your issue. Pretty easy job.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I left the car with the dealer after finding the obvious leak and they told me I have a crack in the body seam right by the glass.

I asked if that seemed pretty unusual especially since I'm the only owner and never had an accident, and also asked if he thought any TSB would apply to this especially considering how it was a body seam crack, but he said none would apply especially since the car is out of warranty which I thought didn't quite matter for a TSB but maybe I'm not right there.

So I asked him if he could get me an estimate for the whole thing.

A crack in the body itself, seriously?

killshot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT, 2024 Mustang GT
I left the car with the dealer after finding the obvious leak and they told me I have a crack in the body seam right by the glass.

I asked if that seemed pretty unusual especially since I'm the only owner and never had an accident, and also asked if he thought any TSB would apply to this especially considering how it was a body seam crack, but he said none would apply especially since the car is out of warranty which I thought didn't quite matter for a TSB but maybe I'm not right there.

So I asked him if he could get me an estimate for the whole thing.

A crack in the body itself, seriously?
Hopefully, it can be sealed. Good luck!

Cplennon17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
This issue actually made me sell my mustang, glad it's finally been solved.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There have been M6G members that also reported that the seam sealer used at the roof junctions at the front and rear windshields have cracked. Even though the cracks are very small, itā€™s enough to let moisture/water into the interior.

Some have even seen rusting occurring in those same areas too.

If they have to remove the rear glass and any interior components to get to the interior sheet metal for seam repair, thatā€™s going to most likely cost a few bucksā€¦. If they can do it from the exterior of the car it shouldnā€™t be costly.

IIRC, I think in the thread that Skye referenced, I had included a link or two about the roof seam seal issues.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
There have been M6G members that also reported that the seam sealer used at the roof junctions at the front and rear windshields have cracked. Even though the cracks are very small, itā€™s enough to let moisture/water into the interior.

Some have even seen rusting occurring in those same areas too.

If they have to remove the rear glass and any interior components to get to the interior sheet metal for seam repair, thatā€™s going to most likely cost a few bucksā€¦. If they can do it from the exterior of the car it shouldnā€™t be costly.

IIRC, I think in the thread that Skye referenced, I had included a link or two about the roof seam seal issues.
This has good diagram showing where drain holes are.good luck

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/18-drain-hole-locations.139944/

Sponsored
OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It was one hell of a ride getting this problem fixed. Here's the story, hopefully I don't drag it out too much:

1. I took my car to the dealer, thinking they would know best what's wrong and personally fix the issue (I am probably naive to have thought this)

2. They outsourced the problem to a local body shop, who has terrible reviews and a few of my friends are in the mechanic business and verified the reviews hold merit. This actually bothered me. If I knew it was going to a body shop for repairs, I would have just gone with a body shop of my choice instead.

3. The communication / updates throughout the whole thing was terrible. The only person proactive in seeking updates was me. The dealer did not personally reach out to me with updates, even if just to say "hey bud, just letting you know there are no updates but we didn't forget about you". The dealer at one point promised to ask the body shop for an update, but by EOD when I called for an update they told me they did in fact NOT reach out to the body shop for an update. Then I called the body shop, and they refused to give me an update on my car. So I drove to the body shop in person and it was obvious at this point they had my car for about 2 weeks and did not even touch the car.

4. Touching on point #3 - they already knew what the problem was. A body seam was cracked near the C Pillar. When I showed up unannounced to the body shop, I saw they had only removed the C Pillar trim inside the car, and the tops of the rear seats. They touched nothing else, the carpets were still soaking wet, the windows heavily fogged up. Given we all knew what the problem was, and how the car presented itself when I checked up on it, it's clear they just had it sitting there collecting dust.

5. So touching on to point #4 - I personally spoke with the owner of the body shop, who promised me it would be done by "end of day" tomorrow

6. I showed up to the body shop after 12pm unannounced the next day and saw my car had not even been moved or touched. This made me mad, as I felt like I had been lied to. A ton of Google Reviews specifically mentioned the owner telling them along the lines of "oh yeah it'll be done tomorrow, by XXX, etc" and in reality the work actually took several more weeks. So I went into this with seeds of bad thoughts. But sure enough, I saw the owner and he told me it would be done by end of day. I also let him and his employees know that I own the damn car, it aint financed, leased, whatever, ... so if I ask for updates just give me damn updates lol. Don't be shady about it. To be fair, the owner from the get go told me I could personally ask him for updates whenever I wanted. But initially when I spoke to somebody at the shop, I was told only the dealer is allowed to get updates.

7. So then I showed up to the shop around 9PM just to see if my car had been moved, because I was promised it would be done by EOD and nobody called me. Luckily, my car was moved and somehow I bumped into the owner driving by and he actually updated me on the situation. Said they repaired the cracked seam but (they?) busted the 3rd brake light so had to replace it.

8. Fast forward ... I didn't get my car back for over a week after that. They didn't crack the rear glass so were able to reuse it. It took 3 weeks start to finish to get my car back.

9. The total expenses, which I paid cash, were about $3000. It was about $2700 in labor, the rest in parts and taxes

10. When I got my car back, I observed:
a. The plastic trim on one of my side view mirrors was knocked loose. It's not falling off, but it's not "snapped in" together
b. The side of the other side view mirror has a long thin scuff mark (should be able to buff it out)
c. The C-Pillar fabric has 2 long permanent indentations in it now
d. The C-Pillar plastic on both sides are not "snapped in" tight now, similar to the side view mirror plastic
e. They broke the latch on one of those plastic buttons on the rear shelf (the kidnapped button? lol) So now this won't properly lock into place
f. They scraped off some of the OEM tint on the rear glass

I am currently trying to get some financial assistance from Ford on this, especially since I've had the car for under 5 years and with such low mileage. But we'll see how that goes.

And to be fair, after about a week I did ask the dealer for a courtesy car and they did provide me with one. But honestly, the communication was horrendous in this process, I am disappointed with the damage (however minor) that was put into my car, and I felt like the only reason I got my car back as fast as I did is because I began pestering both the dealer and the body shop after about 2 weeks.

I don't really have much experience dealing with body shops, so maybe my expectations were off. But the one body shop I did ever deal with ... we coordinated when they were ready to actually work on my car, and I got the car back within a couple days. So I figured it would be similar this time around ...

At least all the water is gone and so far looks like the fix has worked.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
At least all the water is gone and so far looks like the fix has worked.
Man, I'm really sorry you had to go through all that. :lipssealed:I am happy to read the leak is fixed and there will be no further water damage. :thumbsup:Hopefully, Ford and the dealer will come through on the residuals. :please:

Thanks for updating us on your experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2019GT

2019GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
19' GT
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Man, I'm really sorry you had to go through all that. :lipssealed:I am happy to read the leak is fixed and there will be no further water damage. :thumbsup:Hopefully, Ford and the dealer will come through on the residuals. :please:

Thanks for updating us on your experience.
Thanks man, I really hope I could get something back from Ford especially because a body seam shouldn't be cracking like this right? Especially not on such a new car anyway I guess.

The dealer isn't just bad at communicating with me by the way. When I opened up the case for financial assistance with Ford, I found out the dealer was unresponsive to the guy handling my case for me! It got to a point where the Ford agent forwarded me the emails he sent to the dealer to show just how many attempts at contact he made.

He also told me he called the dealer numerous times, and basically spoke to everybody except the one person he needed to get in touch with (my service advisor).

So once Ford told me what was going on, I called up the service advisor and explained what Ford told me. He rebutted that his computer was being replaced and thus didn't have access to his emails nor did he receive Ford's emails. (????) So I told him I was going to forward him the email and check in later. A few days later I called back after, surprise, no updates...the service advisor told me he got ahold of Ford on the phone and relayed all the information they requested.

I don't know if my service advisor was intentionally not getting back to Ford, and I don't want to just flat out accuse him of that. But the communication is terrible!

Meanwhile I'm being constantly reminded by the dealer to give them a 5* review on Google šŸ¤Ø
Sponsored