Parking light stayed on with power off.

Ozcraig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Coupe
I had stopped and parked, and locked the car, 2017 GT Australian model. Light switch setting is on automatic so DRLs operate. On my return to the vehicle 30minutes later I see that one parking light is illuminated. I found that I had accidently bumped the indicator stalk up on leaving the vehicle, which for some reason lit up the corresponding parking light bulb. I repeated this for both sides to convince myself that I wasn't going mad, and it happens on both sides. I can't imagine why this is a feature, or whether it may eventually time out. Anyone else heard of this?
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, it's a feature. I've seen it in other Ford vehicles as well.
I believe it's mentioned in the user's manual. I'll see if I can find the relevant section.

Edit: strangely enough, it doesn't seem to be in the Mustang's manual. I did, however, find it in the user's manual for the Mondeo. I'm sure it works the same in the Mustang; they must have just forgotten to mention it.

Untitled4.png

Last edited:

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, that's one of the reasons they're called "parking lamps". When you park on the side of a street you can turn on your outside parking lamp to make your car more visible to traffic. It actually looks pretty cool when you have a lot of cars doing it.

Seems to be (or maybe was) a more common practice in Europe than in the US, maybe due to narrower twisty streets, etc. All the BMWs I owned did it. Not sure my US spec Mustang will do it, but I'll check when it's not 4*F (-15C).

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
For when parking on street or side of a road and it is foggy out, to keep others from seeing your parked car after it is too late.

OP
OP
Ozcraig

Ozcraig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Coupe
Thanks for the replies guys! Looks like in sunny Australia it was never thought necessary on our wide brown streets. I've been driving for 45years and have never come across this before.
Sponsored