Painted Brake Calipers (UK)

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi All,

As per the title, my latest obsession has become getting some red calipers! I'm aware the rears are a little unappealing, especially when painted, but I'd like to do it regardless.

Looking to get some insight from anyone who's done it before - either DIY or paid to have it done.

Done a fair bit of research myself and it seems there's 101 different ways to do it. For me, I absolutely want something that's long lasting (heard reports of paint peeling after long periods/too much heat etc), and the finish has to look as good as the original painted brembos. I know Brembo have a very particular method for painting and I guess that's what I'm aiming to get close to - whether I pay someone or go DIY.

Anyone have any input on the process of baking the calipers once painted? If I went the DIY route, then this is not something I'd have access to really, but not sure what the benefit is. DIY has other challenges too, whether painting calipers in situ or removing completely.

I've asked my favorite local Ford dealership for a quote as I know this is something they've done for other customers, but I'm always wary of dealership capabilities when it comes to things like this. Generally speaking, I think cost wise, I'd be looking at £100 a corner? Admittedly not looked in to costs too much, been more so looking at the methods used. If I was going to get someone else to do it, I'd be looking to spend around £300-400 - based on what I know so far.

Anyway...I've rambled on.

Thanks in advance :like:
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Kristian....speak to Nick at Detail My Car. This is something they do regularly.....and you know the car will be in safe hands :like:

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Kristian....speak to Nick at Detail My Car. This is something they do regularly.....and you know the car will be in safe hands :like:
Thanks Paul, I did think of them yesterday. I have a vague memory that they outsource their paintwork to BMR paintshop in the town centre? Could be a perfect solution (and expensive because I know they do wheel refurns too!)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thanks Paul, I did think of them yesterday. I have a vague memory that they outsource their paintwork to BMR paintshop in the town centre? Could be a perfect solution (and expensive because I know they do wheel refurns too!)
I could be wrong, but I think the calipers they do "in house". If not, then BMR would be the logical next place :)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
For info......there's a DMC "Cars n Coffee" event at their place on Sunday 1st March (10-1).......if you're around you could speak to Nick in person there.

Assuming its not raining, I'll be there in the Garage Queen :)

Sponsored

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
I had all my calipers painted on my DIB car. I had them painted in a light blue almost a Grabber Blue or the Focus RS colour. This was done by a friend in a body shop and I think i paid £30.00 a corner. This may seem cheap but at the same time I did have a quarter panel and the bumper painted so may have had a deal on this.

As far as I'm aware these were all masked and painted whilst on the car in an oven and I bought some white brembo stickers on ebay which they fitted and then clear coated over the top. These have been done a year now and are still looking good.

I had then done in light blue rather than DIB as I already had the factory nickle wheels but was awaiting delivery of my GT 350 replica wheels in gloss grey which I think they look the business.

In my opinion anyone that paints the calipers needs to have a bright colour to show through the wheels, On your Magnetic car with Black wheels I personally would go red or yellow, I seem to remember that Gibbo had lime green on his car which did look good and was a nice contrast.

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
As a supplement to the above, I did consider painting myself and had read of a few people that had, whilst i'm quite handy and could have done them myself I took the decision to pay and so glad I did. I also have a 2018 DIB Fiesta ST-Line and since I had my Mustang done been thinking of doing that car myself but in real life I just dont really have the time at a weekend to loose the use of the car while everything is drying so may just look to get these done by my garage again.

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
Did mine myself used a rattle can of 2pak , prep is what took time masking car up ect, car was only a month old so only needed to scotchbrite them, 18months later still looked great

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Before and after
Great job! I'd be happy with results like that...What about the drying? Assume you did it in warm weather?

Mine have 23k miles on them now, so will need a good scrubbing.

Sponsored

Symone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2021 mach1 grabber yellow A10
Great job! I'd be happy with results like that...What about the drying? Assume you did it in warm weather?

Mine have 23k miles on them now, so will need a good scrubbing.

Hi it was may time , just left for a few hours before refitting then drove next day all good

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Also did mine myself, rattle cans straight from the Ford parts counter for £11, these are fine unless you do track days and get the calipers to a million degrees at which point it’ll start to dis-colour? Is that a word?

simply scotched the surface, bit of primer, plenty of colour and then lacquer. £2 brembo stickers to finish it off :thumbsup:

E5C4CC2C-837A-47D7-8468-D36A3774F2DF.jpeg
9B1C1C0D-B1DF-42F9-B25C-44E4D844D0A4.jpeg

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Mine were done by a friend at a local body repair shop...he just used normal 2 pack.

IMG-3328.jpg

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I fitted covers to hide the fugly rear calipers, Yeah I know they're not to everyone's taste but they look better than the caliper imo. Not fitting the front covers however; gonna get them painted.

Bonnie looking hardware you got there @Enoch :like:

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
AS above, if you track the car, use proper heat proof paint or powder coating, if you're just driving around town/miss daisy, rattle can will be fine.

Foliatec is a decent 'idiot proof' starter kind of paint, their red is a lovely bright red, only downside, it's a LOT of work, whereas spraying is a lot in the prep, masking, shielding, the foliatec is more on the "paint every 2hrs for 6-8rs" and then heat treat them, benefit, of the foliatec, that shits going nowhere without a grinder!
Sponsored