Paint nightmare :'(

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
So a while back I noticed some rock chips on my car and decided to fill them in with a color pen I bought at Ford. It kept bothering me and I read up a few guides online and went for it. Except when I went to sand it down I messed up the clear coat around it. I went to a local maaco who gave me a quote of 300$ to fix it. Upon checking reviews, there were mixed reviews on maaco. I asked the local ford dealership and they saw it and recommended caliber collision. Took it to them today and they took the car back for 15 mins and brought it back like nothing ever happened and didn't even charge me for it. The rock chips are visible again though. Looks much better now and I bought Dr. Colorfix for them. Anyone used Dr colorfix or similar product and have an input on it? It looks too simple on youtube.
20200621_125253.jpg
20200625_133732.jpg
Sponsored

SVTchris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1993 SVT Mustang Cobra, 2004 SVT F-150 Lightning, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
I never heard of "Dr Color Fix" but I used Dr. ColorChip for the first time on my Bullitt and I highly recommend it. It is super easy to use and exceeded all my expectations.

www.drcolorchip.com

OP
OP

mAkI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Moiz
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I never heard of "Dr Color Fix" but I used Dr. ColorChip for the first time on my Bullitt and I highly recommend it. It is super easy to use and exceeded all my expectations.

www.drcolorchip.com
That was mistake on my part, I did in fact order drcolorchip. Is it fairly easy to use? How does it turn off after?

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Mustang GT Premium/'13 Ford Focus ST ST3
Vehicle Showcase
That was mistake on my part, I did in fact order drcolorchip. Is it fairly easy to use? How does it turn off after?
Dr Color Chip is extremely easy to use and the results are second only to completely getting the bumper repainted. I got a kit for when i used my car as a daily driver on a major interstate and got constant rock chips on my front bumper.

The kit comes with everything you need, applicator brushes, paint, solvent, and the towels. You put the paint on one of the applicator brushes and put a glob of the paint over the chip. Using a nitrile glove, roll your thumb over the paint glob into the chip. Let it dry for about 5-10 mins. Then using very light pressure, use the solvent on the cloth provided and wipe away the excess paint. Using an LED light its pretty easy to tell once all the excess paint has been dissolved away. You will still notice the divot in the paint, but you will have to look for it. From a macro view it blends in quite nicely.

SVTchris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
1993 SVT Mustang Cobra, 2004 SVT F-150 Lightning, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
I like to use the squeegee to apply but agree with with Five_Oh.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've never had luck with that kit, and the paint dries out very quickly (inside the house), so bought Ford paint instead, and will stick with that, at least for now. My previous Dr Color-chip kits have been a one-use kit, and it's quite expensive for just for one. The Ford paint is also drying out quicker than expected, but left it open for a while to touch up a large area on the hood rear bolts, and the mess made by the now removed POS MRT hood strut kit, so it's almost depleted by now anyway. Will probably buy another. Might give Dr Color-chip another chance if I get several chips that can't fix well with the Ford pen, to be worth the expense.

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Mustang GT Premium/'13 Ford Focus ST ST3
Vehicle Showcase
I've never had luck with that kit, and the paint dries out very quickly (inside the house), so bought Ford paint instead, and will stick with that, at least for now. My previous Dr Color-chip kits have been a one-use kit, and it's quite expensive for just for one. The Ford paint is also drying out quicker than expected, but left it open for a while to touch up a large area on the hood rear bolts, and the mess made by the now removed POS MRT hood strut kit, so it's almost depleted by now anyway. Will probably buy another. Might give Dr Color-chip another chance if I get several chips that can't fix well with the Ford pen, to be worth the expense.
I've had my Dr Color Chip kit for well over a year, and no issue with it drying out. I keep all of it inside my house.

Rev'n Step

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt - Magneride and electronic package.
I used Dr. Color chip on my old white GT to cover some unfortunate massive rock chips and it worked great. Just need to be patient and let it cure properly.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thank you folks. Looks like Dr Color-chip deserves another chance :D. Now that I remember, the previous times I bought it was for 'tri-coat' paints, which for some reason, dry out quicker. Since the Bullitt green is not, it should last longer. Thanks again.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The Ford pens are actually really nice quality compared to some other brands because you actually get a brush for the base coat and the clear.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I never use the clear; just the base. It's enough to blend well. It's impossible to put 2 coats without sticking up like a sore thumb, making it very obvious. Just the base works much better, at least for me. As a side comment, I usually get 2 different pens, but Ford combined them. I didn't know there was clear in there, and opened the damn thing upside down, and made a royal mess. Next time I'll know :).

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The clearcoat in the Ford kit is very useful for any alloy wheel chips to prevent water getting in
Sponsored