Paint color change

MagneticGT76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Is it true after a paint job on a metallic color that the flakes settle and the color gets a shade darker ?
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Nope... I custom paint bikes, lots of them and that is not a thing unless there is something wrong with the paint or prep. If you're repainting in the same color, it likely won't match since the old paint will have some fade- but that is usually lighter not darker.

OP
OP
MagneticGT76

MagneticGT76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
The paint matches perfect you can just see a little diff from the top of the fender to the hood the hood is a little darker

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
OP, I'd recommend that instead of starting a bunch of threads basically asking the same question, you do some research.

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
so you dont have an answer?
Looking at your other thread, It's hard to exactly match paint on a repair, especially when the OE paint has the orange peel and the new paint is smooth.

Same thing happened with the wife's car when the driver side fender was replaced, It's nice and smooth, but looking at it in the sun you can see the difference from the fender, door and hood.

As long as it doesn't rust I don't care, it's not a show car.

But that dark color you have does appear to look a little more noticeable.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
There is no such thing as a perfect match on metallic paint. A difference in gun pressure, humidity and user technique can all have a effect on how the metallic lays down. Same with the clear. Even solid colors are tough since a slight difference in sheen will be noticeable. If you get the area adjacent to the new paint wet sanded and buffed it will be a closer match. I tell guys wanting a perfect match that we have to paint the entire bike- or at least the whole side. Then there are various grades of paint. PPG has an OMNI line which they don't even claim will match all the way up to DBC which is OEM quality. I'd never buy a silver car, literally impossible to match. I can spot a door or fender painted on a silver car from across the parking lot. Perfection is a demanding mistress.
Sponsored