Sponsored

Paint chip fix on Modesta coated car?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Waiting for my detailer to get back to me, but some idiot opened their door into me in a parking lot and chipped off paint. Only chip on my car after 11months.

I want to get it fixed but what kind of issues may I run into since it's coated in Modesta? I assume they have to remove it first, fix the chip then my detailer will have to re-treat the door?
Sponsored

Boostamoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' GT
If you want the repair to be anything above 90% perfect, yes it will need to be sanded down and reapplied. Any repair where quality takes precedence is going to involve wet sanding of the surrounding area. When this happens the coating for that area will be removed, and it needs to be reapplied. You just have to take care when leveling the coating back out as the area outside of the sanding zone is already coated. If you have your detailer do this you will be fine, but it will probably cost a little bit.

My advice if you can live with it, grab some Dr.Colorchip or touch up paint and a fine line painting pen. Slowly keep dabbing it into the chip and letting it dry. Keep doing this until your satisfied. Will it be perfect? No but from 3-4ft away you'll never notice it unless it's a long scratch.

OP
OP

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
If you want the repair to be anything above 90% perfect, yes it will need to be sanded down and reapplied. Any repair where quality takes precedence is going to involve wet sanding of the surrounding area. When this happens the coating for that area will be removed, and it needs to be reapplied. You just have to take care when leveling the coating back out as the area outside of the sanding zone is already coated. If you have your detailer do this you will be fine, but it will probably cost a little bit.

My advice if you can live with it, grab some Dr.Colorchip or touch up paint and a fine line painting pen. Slowly keep dabbing it into the chip and letting it dry. Keep doing this until your satisfied. Will it be perfect? No but from 3-4ft away you'll never notice it unless it's a long scratch.
Yeah got a quote today, going to cost about 1100, only 750 if they don't need to do the fender to blend it. Its what I expected so I'm not surprised. I was just kind of hoping there would be some kind of solvent that may cut the protection off without damaging paint.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have had 2 vehicles coated with Modesta Ceramic. It's a great product and gives you that Candy gloss coating... best i've ever seen. But... rock chips are it's kryptonite. no getting around it. I just used Dr. Color Chip which does a really great job for a DIY product. If it's a significantly large area then spending the money on professional redo might be worth it. As Boostamoose said, if it's small enough that you can back off 3-4 ft and not see it then Dr. Color Chip is the way to go. By the way, if you are interested I have an unused bottle of Modesta Flame product for sale in the classifieds... it works great for any water spotting issues on the coating... I had really bad water spotting after a brief summer downpour and this was the only thing to get it out. PM me if interested....
Sponsored