Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
thinking of you with TS Beta out there. Hope all is well.

@kilobravo
No worries, Tom but thanks for the good thoughts. We had a couple of turd floaters yesterday that lasted about ninety minutes and various light showers since but that's it. Based on her projected movement, I'd say that the rain will probably stop by this afternoon.

I found a stepping bit but dang it was expensive. No matter, I needed it and I will be drilling the trap door today. Hopefully, I'll get it on FedBox by tomorrow. Didn't have narrow open ended wrenches large enough either so had to pick up a 20 and order a 25. That hook is a PITA to install with reverse threads. :cool:[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No worries, Tom but thanks for the good thoughts. We had a couple of turd floaters yesterday that lasted about ninety minutes and various light showers since but that's it. Based on her projected movement, I'd say that the rain will probably stop by this afternoon.

I found a stepping bit but dang it was expensive. No matter, I needed it and I will be drilling the trap door today. Hopefully, I'll get it on FedBox by tomorrow. Didn't have narrow open ended wrenches large enough either so had to pick up a 20 and order a 25. That hook is a PITA to install with reverse threads. :cool:
I haven't drilled mine yet, so let me borrow that stepper bit. I'll return it with your painted door.

@Surfergeek, you have yours drilled yet?

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Make sure you sterilize it before putting it in the box…
Oh boy, was that ever funny, John! (and I forgot to spray...dang it!) :-)

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
I haven't drilled mine yet, so let me borrow that stepper bit. I'll return it with your painted door.

@Surfergeek, you have yours drilled yet?
Not yet.
Will get it drilled this week. Likely tomorrow.

Right after picking it up I had a double header track day at Laguna Seca and had to hit the road to pick up my new enclosed trailer. Just like the 500 it was an exercise in patience with COVID related production delays. 9 months after ordering I pick it up today.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Not yet.
Will get it drilled this week. Likely tomorrow.

Right after picking it up I had a double header track day at Laguna Seca and had to hit the road to pick up my new enclosed trailer. Just like the 500 it was an exercise in patience with COVID related production delays. 9 months after ordering I pick it up today.
RGR that. KB's will be here thrusday, so whatever you can do.

I'd like to do them both at the same time.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
KB, step or uni bits can be stupid expensive. Often times you can get a good price if you by a twin or triple pack with different sizes. I usually use Irwin, avalable at places like Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Tob: I'm not sure what all brands of stepping bits I have but this one is Milwaukee so you know it wasn't cheap. Plus, it has a bunch more "steps" on it than anything else I have and, goes from the smallest to the largest. Darn thing must weigh a quarter of a pound. And, it's razor sharp.

Unfortunately, as I told Tom, my laser idea was sound but the implentation was flawed. Instead of centering the beam on the bottom of the female side, I SHOULD have inserted the shaft, tightened it down, and centered the beam on THAT. Since I doubt ours are any different, you already know that the shaft doesn't thread in particularly straight.

So, I had to "adjust" my beautifully round hole and as you noted, it needed to be oblong. I think if Tom or SG can get a better shaft center mark on the door, they'll be able to use a 1 1/8" step and be good to go.

But, it'll do for me and no one will ever notice except...me. :-) Meanwhile, she'll get picked up later on and hopefully be at Casa Tom on Thursday for paint.

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
I have alerted the ISO.500.GT inspectors and they will be stopping by your homes in the afternoon. Please have your bumpers available for review and answer all questions honestly and to the best of your ability. Compliance and resistance is futile. :inspect:

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tob: I'm not sure what all brands of stepping bits I have but this one is Milwaukee so you know it wasn't cheap. Plus, it has a bunch more "steps" on it than anything else I have and, goes from the smallest to the largest. Darn thing must weigh a quarter of a pound. And, it's razor sharp.

Unfortunately, as I told Tom, my laser idea was sound but the implentation was flawed. Instead of centering the beam on the bottom of the female side, I SHOULD have inserted the shaft, tightened it down, and centered the beam on THAT. Since I doubt ours are any different, you already know that the shaft doesn't thread in particularly straight.

So, I had to "adjust" my beautifully round hole and as you noted, it needed to be oblong. I think if Tom or SG can get a better shaft center mark on the door, they'll be able to use a 1 1/8" step and be good to go.

But, it'll do for me and no one will ever notice except...me. :-) Meanwhile, she'll get picked up later on and hopefully be at Casa Tom on Thursday for paint.
I think i will make a cardboard template and mess around until I have it 100%.

I'll start with a pilot hole (ha!) And use the step bit.

Since I'm already painted, ill touch up around the hole and clear with your batch.

I'll head over and pick it up tomorrow when its delivered. I have things to do there anyway.

As soon as i get the other door from surfergeek, ill crank them out. He says he will mail this week.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I missed out on this special offer from Tom because my car is in Vegas, and I can't position and drill a hole..... :crying:
Sponsored