Sponsored

P0022 & P0023 - surging / rough idle reoccurring problem

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Unless I can't read, I didn't see mention of the 5.2L in that TSB. I've helped about 10 owners with their VCT troubles and it was wiring harness for all but one (it's happened 3 times to me).

I'll bet it's tied to the harness. Almost always is.
I demanded they replace the entire harness last time, they refused saying they tested all parts and would only replace the individual failure parts one by one. I will say when my wire harness Had breaks, the car would idle rough as well as had surging. It now idles perfect. I think the surging is due to something else.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I demanded they replace the entire harness last time, they refused saying they tested all parts and would only replace the individual failure parts one by one. I will say when my wire harness Had breaks, the car would idle rough as well as had surging. It now idles perfect. I think the surging is due to something else.
Could be, but I've been through 3 harnesses - so it's very possible it's back to the harness. In a modern engine, what you're describing sounds electrical to me.

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Well now 5th gear grinds In addition to lost reverse and car goes to limp mode at track after 5 sessions with a Christmas list of codes, most transmission related. Watched trans oil temp go from 160 to 275 before limp mode happened and restricted to 4K rpm.

This ruins a $520 track weekend and also my last event of the year next weekend. I plan on ditching this car and getting a 2019 or 2020 R to replace it. Still has 5 years of warranty left but I don’t have tolerance for more wasted track weekends and dealer clearly cannot fix this surging issue with the VCT. Will be making good friends with my lemon atty when I get back.

2675A7E3-714B-4507-9F2A-141A1C567B48.jpeg

20010D44-2E34-456D-89CB-87C05575B639.jpeg

OP
OP

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have helicoils in my block from an ac compressor replacement (they reused bolts and they sheered off in block). I know ford doesn’t allow this and say new motor. I didn’t bring it up after the dealer did this initially when it had 5k miles and no running issues, but does a new long block come with new VCT that should actually fix my surging issue? Wondering if I should push for a new motor now due to helicoil and failure to fix surging and vct codes after 6 service attempts?
Sponsored

Last edited: