Sponsored

P&S Undressed Tire Prep

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I'm sure it will surprise no one that when I have something on my mind, I'm like a dog with a bone until I sort it. It's a combination of OCD, anxiety and being a Capricorn. My latest pursuit is to find a dedicated tire cleaner that wows me.

CarPro ReTyre is just not viable other than for occasional use and it's performance left me disappointed. Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner was junk. Shine Supply Wise Guy is oh-so close, as is P&S Brake Buster.

I recently came across P&S Undressed, so here it is ready to trial.

First, a little product background and why one would go to the trouble of cleaning your tires.

Cleaning tires is purely a cosmetic thing. All tires to some degree will accumulate contaminants and leach rubber residue (blooming). Removing these contaminants makes applying a new dressing or coating easier and at the same time, improves the bond of said products.

P&S Undressed Tire Prep is a heavy duty product used to strip tires of old dressings and remove tire browning. This is an alkaline cleaning solution that penetrates the tire and removes grime in preparation for the application of a new dressing or coating. Undressed can be used neat (undiluted) or diluted at 1:10, I went full strength as I wanted to see it's full potential.

The Ranger with it's povo-spec steel wheels was my test subject for today.

Spray liberally onto the tire and a couple extra on a stiff bristled brush.

Scrub and then rinse thoroughly. Repeat if necessary on dirtier, neglected tires.

Dried, the tires are now completely bare and non-greasy to touch.

Re-coated with Duragloss 253, I really like this product on chunkier tyres.

A couple of notes after this exercise.

I am noticing some tires clean easier than others. These Dunlop tires have always been really receptive to deep cleaning, the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on my Falcon XR6 the complete opposite. So I will need to play around with Undressed a bit more to get a true gauge of it's ability.

Unlike P&S Brake Buster, which can also be used as a rubber cleaner, Undressed does not foam up under agitation. That foaming aspect of Brake Buster makes it feel like you are achieving something.

In use, Undressed is much like Shine Supply Wise Guy. The difference between the two is limited to cost. Wise Guy costs $21 for 500ml, and while it's diluted 1:1, Undressed is much better value at $17 for a gallon even if you run it at full strength.
Sponsored

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I have been using Brake Buster for awhile now, I love that stuff. I have yet to try undressed, but to be fair brake buster is a wheel and tire cleaner.

Richard

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have been using Brake Buster for awhile now, I love that stuff. I have yet to try undressed, but to be fair brake buster is a wheel and tire cleaner.

Richard
I really like Brake Buster and I use it at full strength as a tire cleaner, in most cases it performs very well. For well maintained vehicles, it dual role as a wheel cleaner and tire cleaner means it saves having two products out.

I only approach Brake Buster's limits when dealing with really dirty and neglected tires, tires that almost certainly have never been cleaned. In such cases, I generally need to treat them a couple of times to get get the result I'm looking for.

IMG-0532.jpg

IMG-0535.jpg

IMG-0281.jpg

IMG-0283.jpg

In comparison, well maintained tires tend to not display much in the way browning when agitated -

oct276.jpg

IMG-0451.jpg

This is where dedicated tire and rubber cleaners come into the picture, P&S Undressed and Shine Supply Wise Guy being two examples.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Richard
Out of interest, do you foam Brake Buster or just spray it from a bottle like I have above?

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You go all out on your detailing equipment. Nice cleaning bucket. I just use a white and red bucket. I am still to cheap to go Cadillac style. The only thing I splurged on was a MTM gun, Cannon, and my chemicals.

I use it full strength in an IK sprayer, I have not tried it diluted yet, though I have heard it works just as well. I will top my bottle off at half full this time around to see how it does at 1:1.

I only detail my vehicle, I wash the wife's vehicle regularly, so I have not had a need for the dedicated cleaner yet. I might grab a gallon if that undressed and just keep it on the shelf to try out for if I do.

Richard

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I might grab a gallon..
Ordered one this morning.

D: I say again...you are downright AMAZING. :cool:

BTW, I too am a damn Capricorn, wouldn't you know it? <laughing> Don't put stock in that stuff but sometimes, it sure SEEMS like it's a thing.

So, here's a question. In your opinion, do tires "brown up" due to brake dust or just general road dirt and grime or of course, a combination?

Meanwhile, I've had the same "tire brush" for a number of years and while adequate, I'd rather have one similar to that in your photos. Mine is curved longitudinally so it's better for higher profile tires (and much larger truck tires,) than those typical on sport vehicles.

But...I bet you have a recommendation. <smiling>

Johnny_ynnhoJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'm sure it will surprise no one that when I have something on my mind, I'm like a dog with a bone until I sort it. It's a combination of OCD, anxiety and being a Capricorn. My latest pursuit is to find a dedicated tire cleaner that wows me.

CarPro ReTyre is just not viable other than for occasional use and it's performance left me disappointed. Gyeon Q2M Tire Cleaner was junk. Shine Supply Wise Guy is oh-so close, as is P&S Brake Buster.

I recently came across P&S Undressed, so here it is ready to trial.

First, a little product background and why one would go to the trouble of cleaning your tires.

Cleaning tires is purely a cosmetic thing. All tires to some degree will accumulate contaminants and leach rubber residue (blooming). Removing these contaminants makes applying a new dressing or coating easier and at the same time, improves the bond of said products.

P&S Undressed Tire Prep is a heavy duty product used to strip tires of old dressings and remove tire browning. This is an alkaline cleaning solution that penetrates the tire and removes grime in preparation for the application of a new dressing or coating. Undressed can be used neat (undiluted) or diluted at 1:10, I went full strength as I wanted to see it's full potential.

The Ranger with it's povo-spec steel wheels was my test subject for today.

Spray liberally onto the tire and a couple extra on a stiff bristled brush.

Scrub and then rinse thoroughly. Repeat if necessary on dirtier, neglected tires.

Dried, the tires are now completely bare and non-greasy to touch.

Re-coated with Duragloss 253, I really like this product on chunkier tyres.

A couple of notes after this exercise.

I am noticing some tires clean easier than others. These Dunlop tires have always been really receptive to deep cleaning, the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's on my Falcon XR6 the complete opposite. So I will need to play around with Undressed a bit more to get a true gauge of it's ability.

Unlike P&S Brake Buster, which can also be used as a rubber cleaner, Undressed does not foam up under agitation. That foaming aspect of Brake Buster makes it feel like you are achieving something.

In use, Undressed is much like Shine Supply Wise Guy. The difference between the two is limited to cost. Wise Guy costs $21 for 500ml, and while it's diluted 1:1, Undressed is much better value at $17 for a gallon even if you run it at full strength.
Looks like you switched it out with a new tire...I'm wondering 🤔 lol. Thanks for a thorough review, I'm a daily driver mostly in city so brake dust adds up quick.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Ordered one this morning.

D: I say again...you are downright AMAZING. :cool:

BTW, I too am a damn Capricorn, wouldn't you know it? <laughing> Don't put stock in that stuff but sometimes, it sure SEEMS like it's a thing.

So, here's a question. In your opinion, do tires "brown up" due to brake dust or just general road dirt and grime or of course, a combination?

Meanwhile, I've had the same "tire brush" for a number of years and while adequate, I'd rather have one similar to that in your photos. Mine is curved longitudinally so it's better for higher profile tires (and much larger truck tires,) than those typical on sport vehicles.

But...I bet you have a recommendation. <smiling>
Ha ha, a Capricorn too. Can't say I'm surprised. I don't normally allow star signs to dictate my life but, yes it is a 'thing' sometimes. I don't suppose you are quick to temper and get grumpy easily? :wink:

Tire browning is a combination of factors. A lot of it is the chemical make up of the rubber rising to the surface. Rubber being porous means that it will also absorb contaminants. And tire dressings will also accumulate dirt and contaminants, especially solvent based products (think Meguiars awful Endurance Tire Gel).

As for tire cleaning brushes, this is a situation where simple is best.

I'm guessing you have one like this.......

ctb101.png

The really basic looking Tuf Shine brush as pictured below is just so right for the job. For $6.99 it would have to be one of the cheapest available for the job and yet it performs way better the the money would suggest. Mine is still working as intended 2 years on and many, many tires cleaned.

Amazon.com: TUF SHINE Tire Brush : Automotive
TUF SHINE Tire Brush (autogeek.net)
Tuf Shine Tire Brush | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

IMG-4304.jpg

g4.jpg

I also want to try the new Detail Factory Tire Brush, not because I need to replace my Tuf Shine, more that I just want one. :giggle:

Detail Factory Tire Brush | Tire Cleaning Brush | Obsessed Garage
Detail Factory - Tire Scrub Brush | The Rag Company

dftb103.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I don't suppose you are quick to temper and get grumpy easily?
D: Bingo! On top of that, you nailed the curved brush. <laughing to myself> Amazing, simply amazing. So, I guess there must be something to astrology, huh? ;-)

Ordered the brush from The Rag Company, thanks...will letcha know.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
D: Bingo! On top of that, you nailed the curved brush. <laughing to myself> Amazing, simply amazing. So, I guess there must be something to astrology, huh? ;-)

Ordered the brush from The Rag Company, thanks...will letcha know.
Will be keen to hear your thoughts on the DF tire brush. These have not been released yet in Australia, so it will be a couple of months before I can join the party.

I had a new colleague ask me what my star sign was recently, I answered Capricorn, to which she then asked if I had a temper. I had a little cheeky laugh and nodded my head, she replied "I thought so....." I have always been quick to temper and do not tolerate fools gladly........... we all have our failings I suppose.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Gave my truck a much needed bath yesterday. Spent more time scrubbing the wheels and tires than I did on the body. :-) I enjoy washing vehicles but a large pickup would not be my first choice.

Then there are those damn tires. <laughing> I definitely thought of you, D when I sat down in front of four 275/65/20's. :-) She doesn't get Perl though like Sarah, she gets Chemical Guys O High Shine. Close enough for government work and a whole lot cheaper.

1650185050992.png

1650185096924.png

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Gave my truck a much needed bath yesterday. Spent more time scrubbing the wheels and tires than I did on the body. :-) I enjoy washing vehicles but a large pickup would not be my first choice.

Then there are those damn tires. <laughing> I definitely thought of you, D when I sat down in front of four 275/65/20's. :-) She doesn't get Perl though like Sarah, she gets Chemical Guys O High Shine. Close enough for government work and a whole lot cheaper.

1650185050992.png

1650185096924.png
Nice!

What soap do you use again?

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
D, I think this is milk from KB's avatar girl !! She is damn hot , I think she is my preferred KB since you give us a look to those pretty chicks!