draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
How do you know when to take it in? ;)

Or does the computer tell you when a service is due?
The computer will tell you when to take it in for service. Of course, you can do it sooner if you like.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Second mod now completed which was to remove the spring from the clutch pedal in order to alleviate the "jerky" gearchanges.

The spring comes out easily enough, it's just unbelievably awkward getting yourself into a position to be able to press the pedal all the way down with one arm & then get the spring with the other. Anyways, I didn't actually need a pair of pliers as was suggested. I merely levered the bottom of the spring away from the pedal till it wouldn't go any further then did the same at the top. Nothing broke, I didn't get twatted in the face with a flying spring so all in all the procedure itself was a success.

First reports on driving are.....meh.

There's definitely a noticeable improvement there but certainly not as much as I'd hoped for.

Last edited:

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Jeez! is that the spring! Looks more like the suspension.

That MPG figure is brilliant. My current DD is an E36 2.5 6 pot that only gets 26 to 29mpg on a run but goes down to 17/18 when commuting through London.

I've moved further out now so that I have room for the Mustang, if it ever gets here, and am now on the doorstep of some great driving roads in Surrey.

I have much further to drive to my various jobs so the economy of my BMW is getting better, I even went through one tank at 32mpg, but considering that the engine is early 90s tech, I would expect a 21st century V8 to do the same if not better.

My Grand Marquis 4.6 V8 was a 2000 model year, but the engine had been around for a long time before yet would get 26 on a run but was down to 12 around London.

If my Mustang does better than that I'll be happy.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
That's the thing with Turbo charged cars - they're massively uneconomical, and because the general population doesn't know their spark plugs from their throttle bodies people blindly assume that a Turbo-4 is the economy of a tiny engine with the power of a bigger one because manufacturers test all their cars off boost.

In reality it just means this tiny engine is now drinking as much fuel as a V6 (or a V8 when looking at the highly strung engines).
Boy you are miss informed. I have been driving turbo 4's continuously for the past 30 years and they have all been much more economical than an equivalent HP V6 or V8 and slightly worse to slightly better than an equivalent displacement NA engine.

I will agree that when you are a full boost that you will be burning the same amount of gas as an equivalent HP NA engine but in the big scheme of things you are at full boost only 10-20% of the time, the rest of the time you are off boost driving the equivalent of a small displacement 4cyl.

My tuned Ecoboost Mustang is make very close to 350HP and high 300's for torque. I average 30 to 31 mpg per tank on my suburban commute and if I drive it like I have an egg between my foot and the gas peddle I can get 37 mpg. I typically shift at 4k rpm and get at least one opportunity to run it through the gears to redline each way on my commute.

Dave

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Boy you are miss informed. I have been driving turbo 4's continuously for the past 30 years and they have all been much more economical than an equivalent HP V6 or V8 and slightly worse to slightly better than an equivalent displacement NA engine.

I will agree that when you are a full boost that you will be burning the same amount of gas as an equivalent HP NA engine but in the big scheme of things you are at full boost only 10-20% of the time, the rest of the time you are off boost driving the equivalent of a small displacement 4cyl.

My tuned Ecoboost Mustang is make very close to 350HP and high 300's for torque. I average 30 to 31 mpg per tank on my suburban commute and if I drive it like I have an egg between my foot and the gas peddle I can get 37 mpg. I typically shift at 4k rpm and get at least one opportunity to run it through the gears to redline each way on my commute.

Dave
What tune did you go for? I'm assuming it voided warranty?

Sponsored

benanderson89

Hooneriffic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Stop polluting my build thread with fuel economy talk! :p

This is supposed to be a history of the car for the eventual new owner!
Sorry man! Posts deleted. :p

OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just for you guys [MENTION=13479]benanderson89[/MENTION] & [MENTION=8914]Big_G[/MENTION] ;)

From calculations it would appear my OBC is around 10% optimistic, same as my MK4 Mondeo.

At the 1hr mark, I had done 49 miles for an OBC figure of 31.9MPG, so a true figure of 28.8MPG. I'll take that from a 400BHP V8 in a 2 tonne car! :D

Also, dremmelled out the plastic honeycomb today, ready for the black wire mesh when it turns up from the States:

Last edited:

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm thinking of doing that with grill, but would rather buy a second set of grills and modify them.

OP
OP
Centurion07

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I did. Even if I'd had the mesh here I wouldn't have wanted to rip the car apart and THEN worry about how long it was all going to take.

Cutting the honeycomb took all of about half an hour, it's sticking the mesh to them that's going to take the time & where it could all go wrong. Still need to find some appropriate resin stuff to do it.

TBH had I known how much the mesh was going to be (could only find gold here in the UK & it was nudging ÂŁ40 a sq ft! :lol:) I would've just ordered the Racemesh grill from the States which would work out around ÂŁ600.

Sponsored

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I did a similar job on my old Jeep Cherokee, and used Sikaflex to keep it in place..

Worked well still as tight as a drum 18 months later..

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Looks like a neat job. Would have taken me at least twice as long!

Are you going to leave as-is or coat in some way (plastidip, paint etc.)?

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Leave what? :shrug:

The grill is OEM and the mesh is already finished in gloss black. Annoyingly they could do matt black but with a lead time of a month or two.
Leave the grille as it is, i.e. grey plastic, or paint/plastidip to match the mesh for example?

Looks like it'd be a good opportunity to lose some grey plastic, but on the other hand it leaves you with the job of doing the same to the other stuff (e.g. fog light surrounds) if you want it to match.
Sponsored