Sponsored

out of the game since megasquirt v2. Honest opinion on tuning a coyote?

turbosc297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Hey guys back in the late 2000's I built and tuned my own 25psi boosted 4 cylinder on a Megasquirt standalone which was replaced by an Electromotive TecGT. Car ran strong and was a blast, no tuning issues on my part. Fast forward from a circa-2000 vehicle with no variable cam timing or direct injection etc... things are a little more complicated.

Last week I took delivery of my '22 GT with the 10r80 and plan to design/build my own twin turbo setup. 10k for a kit is too much and I find just as much (if not more) enjoyment in the design and fabrication process as I do driving the car. Goal is relatively low boost on the stock long block and trans, add a full fuel system, ample cooling and a complete well-rounded chassis. Someday I'll turn it up but won't be running more than 8-10psi/650-700 wheel until it's time to build engine/trans.

My question is this for all of you with coyote experience- How much more difficult is it to tune one of these motors nowadays? The auto trans, cam tuning, and direct injection are my major concerns.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
There are approaching 30 torque tables along with timing tables, fuel enrichment, etc, etc. Can it be done? Sure, but you'll need access to others who've done it before, otherwise you'll be stumbling around in the dark. We haven't even gotten to the complexities and strategies around shifting and the transmission. There are forums for tuners where you could learn and ask a lot of questions, but outside of robbing someone else's base files, it'd be a lot of trial and error on a blown setup which could be costly with the wrong mistake. My advice is to build your own setup, but find a tuner you're comfortable with to at the very least start you off in the right direction. Maybe then you could tweak it on your own.

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Give member gimmie11s a holler. He built a pretty stout late model TT coyote recently.

I'm headed out or I'd look for his build thread for you.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The tuning on a coyote is totally different from anything with fixed cams and a cable throttle. You might as well forget everything you knew and start with a blank brain slate.

The biggest problem I see is the throttle body model, as it calculates needed flow then opens the throttle the right amount to achieve it. It knows the downstream pressure from the speed density model (calculated manifold pressure), throttle body characteristics, but assumes the upstream pressure is barometric. With a turbo, this assumption is no longer correct. Iā€™ve heard of someone who somehow enabled some portion of code that allows it to measure or calculate a non-baro throttle inlet pressire but I have no idea how to do that.

Once you learn how the oem calibration works you start to realize how much better it is than any of the old stuff and much of the aftermarket stuff.

I can explain the cam timing and gdi stuff pretty quickly and itā€™s not too hard to understand. The trans is a bit more difficult.

OP
OP

turbosc297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Thanks for the replies fellas. Much appreciated. It sounds like things have evolved considerably... does anyone know of a tuner who will provide a base file for me to learn and tweak? Obviously for a fee and I'd sign whatever waiver releasing them from liability.
I'd ideally love to find someone in MN who is willing and able to do some of this for me but I have major trust issues with anyone I don't know touching my stuff!

Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies fellas. Much appreciated. It sounds like things have evolved considerably... does anyone know of a tuner who will provide a base file for me to learn and tweak? Obviously for a fee and I'd sign whatever waiver releasing them from liability.
I'd ideally love to find someone in MN who is willing and able to do some of this for me but I have major trust issues with anyone I don't know touching my stuff!
"Any of you ****'* touches my stuff, and I 'll kill ya."

krhW9yWEI0x0Y.gif

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I get where you want to go, but you can easily buy an FI "system" with everything you need, including start up file for a reasonable price.

For your targeted whp levels, lots of choices in an FI set up.

Just tuning the trans alone is an endeavor.
Sponsored