94gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mat
Vehicle(s)
21' F150, 21' Mustang GT
HI All,

First post here, but have had several Mustangs over the years, and I come from a Ford family. Over all the years I have purchased my cars, I have never ordered one, so this is uncharted waters for me, and my dealership isn't too great with the process as they are typically a large volume, lot of inventory on hand type of dealer, which normally we can find something that fits 90% of what we want in a car, but, not in this current environment. I was able to locate an exact match for what I wanted earlier this year in a 2021 GT, but my wife was not and early last week (10/5) we placed an order for her 2021 Vert, and received an email from Ford within minutes of the order. Since then haven't heard anything, and I totally understand that Ford is behind on builds, and that's not a big deal.

The question I have is, for those that have ordered recently what was the time frame from when you received your confirmation until you received a "Scheduled for Production" notification?

At this point with winter coming, we are in no real hurry to receive her new car, it will be either going from the dealership directly into storage (we ordered the "Performance Pack" for the Ecoboost, and it will be too cold to drive it here in Ohio in winter), or the dealer said they can keep it in their showroom until spring for us (since they have no inventory on hand to display), but after reading a lot of the comments on here for orders that were placed months ago, I am starting to doubt that we will actually get a 2021, and may have to make changes (Twister Orange was pulled for 2022) and get a 2022.

Anyway, and info anyone has on their recent experience and timeline of notifications from Ford would be appreciated.

One other question, does anyone know if Ford builds these in the order they were received, or do customer orders take priority over dealer stock orders? My dealership told me recently that Ford was putting most of its efforts into the F150 line, as that is what is currently selling, and by that same logic it would seem reasonable that Ford would concentrate on building cars that already have a buyer, vs something that has potential to sit in inventory. Anyone have any insight into that?
Sponsored

Milktasd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 cobra, 2000 Sonoma LSx, 2021 velocity blue gt
For me:
Ordered on 7/28/21
Production 10/11/21
New build date 10/04/21
Window sticker started 10/01/21
Blend date on sticker 10/08/21
In production on 10/12/21

I received an email from saying my order went in and I could start tracking it on 08/05/21 and it had my vin
And priority on order will affect time frame I would imagine

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
ordered 29th, got “in production” sept 29 and it’s been like that ever since. its 10/13 now and it’s still in production with delivery date as TBA so no idea when it’s actually being built..wooooof

Gramkeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang
Thanks for posting. I have a similar concern living in the northeast with a preferred delivery of April 2022. I'm wondering when would be a good time to place an order for an Ecoboost Premium with the Performance Pack/ Handling Packages.

Sponsored

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Thanks for posting. I have a similar concern living in the northeast with a preferred delivery of April 2022. I'm wondering when would be a good time to place an order for an Ecoboost Premium with the Performance Pack/ Handling Packages.
With handling pack and HPP. I would say asap you are probably looking atleast 4 months. Considering current chip and production trends if they get worse add to that. Maybe can wait till December depending on previous statement. That time frame will also be affected by dealer priority.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I have a GT vert with PP1, my car was built in Dec and sold in mid Feb and I'm in northern OH The only time they delay builds for tires are if you get the michelin pilot sport cup 2's. Those tires are real sticky and don't like temps below 45. They are basically street legal track tires, but they came on the 350R's the PP2's, the GT 500 with track pack and the mach 1 with handling pack.

Oh and I store my car every winter and it has never seen snow.

CCII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Ordered a GT convertible, 6 speed, black accents, exhaust valves, and a real spare tire 9/7/2021. Have not had any communication from Ford. My dealer tells me that I cannot track anything until Ford issues the VIN, so be patient…

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a GT convertible, 6 speed, black accents, exhaust valves, and a real spare tire 9/7/2021. Have not had any communication from Ford. My dealer tells me that I cannot track anything until Ford issues the VIN, so be patient…
wait over a month and you still didn’t get the vin!? did you even get the email saying order was placed???? i got that within a week of the order.

RRAD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 5.0 Coupe
Agree with VelocityBlue5.0 Double check that it's been input. I kept pestering my dealer but they never actually put the order in until 2 months later. Got an email right away and have been dealing with a different person.

Sponsored

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with VelocityBlue5.0 Double check that it's been input. I kept pestering my dealer but they never actually put the order in until 2 months later. Got an email right away and have been dealing with a different person.
WTF two months!?!? i would’ve walked away and given someone else my business. even a week was annoying for me when others i saw had it that same day.

RRAD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 5.0 Coupe
I kept asking and they said it was good to go. They're terrible at communication, but yeah I should have asked for my earnest money back and went to Granger.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I kept asking and they said it was good to go. They're terrible at communication, but yeah I should have asked for my earnest money back and went to Granger.
especially now when these guys are dying and want sales, you’d think they’d be all over a custom order. guess not.

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
especially now when these guys are dying and want sales, you’d think they’d be all over a custom order. guess not.
Exactly. Any good dealer would jump on that. I emailed two dealers about special ordering, I never heard from the one, they ghosted me. The second immediately texts me back saying no problem and I was on the phone a minute later with them.

Also to echo what others have already said in response to someone still waiting for VIN and order confirmation a month later. I would definitely look into that and make sure the dealer actually input the order. Before I left, the guy helping me told me "Order's in". I got email confirmation order was input later that same day.
Sponsored