Sponsored

Opinions sought: Ford Performance Rear Sub Frame Kit

Minion GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP 6M
I have a 2016 Mustang GT Premium with the Performance Pack as my daily driver, and I am interested in improving the car’s handling. My current list of parts includes the following:
• 2015-2017 MUSTANG TRACK HANDLING PACK
• Steeda Rear Subframe Support Braces IRS Fastback 2015-2017
• 2015-17 FORD MUSTANG SVE GT350 STYLE WHEEL KIT - 19X10/11 - GLOSS BLACK - S550
• Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35-19 (Front) & 305/35-19 (Rear)
• Ford Performance Rear Sub Frame Kit (15-17 All)

After reading about different benchmarks, I was intrigued by the rear subframe used on the BMW M4, which utilizes a rear sub-frame with steel and aluminum bushings similar to the Ford Performance Rear Sub Frame Kit Ford Performance Rear Sub Frame Ki

I’d appreciate feedback on the proposed setup, specifically the last bullet and if you think it will make a big difference.

Thanks!
Sponsored

rcb020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm planning a similar build, my take on an OEMish "track pack".

MRR - m350 19x10
Michelin - pilot sport 4s 285_35_19
FRPP - track handling pack, subframe bushings, oil separator

Not sure, but the Steeda subframe support braces you listed might be redundant? Also, may want to consider lower control arm bearing in the rear.

Edit: I see you linked the entire subframe, that includes diff bushings which have been known to be a cause of NVH, something to think about as a DD car. Ford Performace sells the subframe bushings separetely, which is what I plan to use and leave the diff alone.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
That subframe kit will probably cause significant NVH increase which is why most people have shied away from it. It's probably really good performance wise but expect a lot more harshness and noise.

My version of the track pack with additional parts that I did.

FRPP track shocks and springs
FRPP toe knuckle bearing
FRPP strut tower brace and cowl brace
BMR sway bars
BMR vert links
BMR toe rods
BMR CB005
Steeda LCA bearing
Steed diff inserts

NVH has increased significantly with these parts but handling has significantly improved also. Consider how much NVH you're comfortable dealing with. Very easy to go too far with it.

Earlj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt, 2008 Z06
I have installed the following. While the NVH has increased i find it quite tolerable and with the exception or the gear whine (very mild) and hearing the gear lash when shifting into first or reversa i actually like it. I did fill my cradle with spray foan and put soung dampening on it.
I have he following:
Bmr delrin cradle bushings
Bmr aluminum differential bushings
Replaced all rubber bushings with speaical bearingd
Replaced all links an rods with FTBR components.

Love it

Doctor Fishtail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have a 2016 Mustang GT Premium with the Performance Pack as my daily driver, and I am interested in improving the car’s handling. My current list of parts includes the following:
• 2015-2017 MUSTANG TRACK HANDLING PACK
• Steeda Rear Subframe Support Braces IRS Fastback 2015-2017
• 2015-17 FORD MUSTANG SVE GT350 STYLE WHEEL KIT - 19X10/11 - GLOSS BLACK - S550
• Michelin Pilot Super Sport 275/35-19 (Front) & 305/35-19 (Rear)
• Ford Performance Rear Sub Frame Kit (15-17 All)

After reading about different benchmarks, I was intrigued by the rear subframe used on the BMW M4, which utilizes a rear sub-frame with steel and aluminum bushings similar to the Ford Performance Rear Sub Frame Kit Ford Performance Rear Sub Frame Ki

I’d appreciate feedback on the proposed setup, specifically the last bullet and if you think it will make a big difference.

Thanks!
My personal opinion is if you aint running BMRs parts it aint worth turning over the engine. My car handles like a supreme being. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
My personal opinion is if you aint running BMRs parts it aint worth turning over the engine. My car handles like a supreme being. :thumbsup:
I'm running a mixture of BMR and Steeda parts and it's working out well for me. I tend to lean more towards BMR because I like dealing with Kelly and I like their design philosophy.

I would bet the Ford Performance subframe would work excellently, but BMR and Steeda would do just as well at helping in this area and may also help to avoid more extreme NVH levels. I prefer the BMR cradle lockout to the Steeda subframe supports based on what I've read about the designs but that being said, I have not tried the Steeda ones so I can't say definitively which is better for both performance and NVH minimization combined.

When doing suspension upgrades one must consider NVH levels unless it's just a dedicated race car that you're using it for.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have installed the following. While the NVH has increased i find it quite tolerable and with the exception or the gear whine (very mild) and hearing the gear lash when shifting into first or reversa i actually like it. I did fill my cradle with spray foan and put soung dampening on it.
I have he following:
Bmr delrin cradle bushings
Bmr aluminum differential bushings
Replaced all rubber bushings with speaical bearingd
Replaced all links an rods with FTBR components.

Love it
I'd guess you have a higher than usual tolerance for NVH. The spray foam was helpful on mine as well. Very noticeable decrease in tread noise. Sounds like you've exterminated all the rubber in the whole setup. I still have a few running around but like the way the car handles now (not a drag racer though).

Earlj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have set my car up for HPDE. I have a Borla exhaust. I really don,t mind the NVH. We DD the car as well . My wife does not mind it either. She drive it to work sometimes and it a 30 mile commute.

I am near retirement age so my hearing may be a factor. Either way we like it. Really love the way it handles now. It was quite unpredictable under heavy braking at high speeds.

I put sways, jri shocks and have NTO1, 305 square ste up.

Looking forward to this year!!!

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have set my car up for HPDE. I have a Borla exhaust. I really don,t mind the NVH. We DD the car as well . My wife does not mind it either. She drive it to work sometimes and it a 30 mile commute.

I am near retirement age so my hearing may be a factor. Either way we like it. Really love the way it handles now. It was quite unpredictable under heavy braking at high speeds.

I put sways, jri shocks and have NTO1, 305 square ste up.

Looking forward to this year!!!
I'm old enough for a midlife crisis. I like your style Earlj. I think your Mustang setup will keep your testosterone levels high for quite a while.

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
first i would look to get your tire setup as close to square as possible. this chassis seems to like square or very close to square wheels and tires. I would go 19x10/11 285/35 on all four or if you just have to have the bigger rear 285 and 305.

fwiw I contacted Steeda about the ford performance bushings and it seemed they didnt think it was a good idea to do for nvh reasons. The response was: "If this is a street car, there will be significant increases in noise, vibration and harshness with this conversion.
(If it is a race only vehicle, then that does not matter, of course)"

Now im not sure what people expect from these new cars but I come from 60's cars and my last all out fun car was a pro touring 69 camaro so i think tolarable NVH for me might be different from those who came over to the mustang from a bmw or euro standpoint.

my $.02 is if you've tolerated any old hotrod then i cant imagine the nvh to be worse then delrin and aluminum bushed 69 camaro....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Earlj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fwiw I contacted Steeda and it seemed they didnt think it was a good idea to do for nvh reasons. The response was: "If this is a street car, there will be significant increases in noise, vibration and harshness with this conversion.
(If it is a race only vehicle, then that does not matter, of course)"

Now im not sure what people expect from these new cars but I come from 60's cars and my last all out fun car was a pro touring 69 camaro so i think tolarable NVH for me might be different from those who came over to the mustang from a bmw or euro standpoint.

my $.02 is if you've tolerated any old hotrod than i cant imagine the nvh to be worse then delrin and aluminum bushed 69 camaro....[/QUOTE

I agree!!

I have no issues with the NVH. I have had camaro's, chevelles, and corvettes and this is no different than those. It is certainly not a race car only option in my opinion. My wife drives it and loves it.

I come from the 60's cars as well. I also have a C6 Z06 and the mustang has only a very little more NVH than that.

OP
OP
Minion GT

Minion GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP 6M
Thanks for all the feedback! It’s been educational. I also appreciate the recommendation for BMR parts and will check those out. I’ve been inclined to stay with FFRP because of the favorable warranty coverage, especially from my Ford dealership, but could be convinced otherwise if enough members have not had issues with warranty and extended warranty coverage.

I am wondering on the NVH observations; what is tolerable from a DD perspective and what could result in premature wear? While N&V is measurable, harshness is subjective and I simply don’t have a reference; examples would be helpful: are we talking gas-powered gokart racing stiff?

I have a Ford Racing Sport Exhaust by Borla, and I’ve gotten used to the drone. Tire noise does not bother me. If we are talking bone-rattling vibration for the Ford Performance Rear Sub Frame Kit, then I’d think twice about it, but drivetrain rattle or whine is welcome – makes me remember I’m driving a machine. I’m already used to the aluminum trim vibrating/rattling and fondly remember my modified 1978 Camaro Z28 having a bit harsher NVH.

Thanks!
Sponsored