Sponsored

Opinions and feedback on intake/tune options before I pull the trigger. Poll included

Which intake and tune would you recommend of these two?

• Total voters

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
Your guidance is appreciated.

I have a 2017 GT/PP w/Recaro's that gets delivered first week of April. This is my first ever Mustang and am coming from a German sports sedan background. My goals at this point is to install an intake/tune, FP oil-air separator and exhaust. Drive the car for the summer and then see where I want to take the car from there. This will be my second car but primarily used as a daily driver to work and fun weekend trips. I might do a couple drivers classes at our local track for fun.

I've got the exhaust decisions made after spending WAYYY too much time watching Youtube sound clips. My dilemma is now with tune and intake but I do have it rounded down to two options after doing a plethora of research on here. I've read every major manufacturer CAI thread I've found along with all 166 pages of the Ford Performance Power Pack thread....and then some. Thank you to everyone for your posts, its been extremely helpful for me to try and make the right choices the first time!

Option 1: Lund with nGauge and custom tune specifically for an Airaid MPX with the restrictor/insert cut out making it a tune required intake.

Option 2: Ford Performance Power Pack 2.

What are your thoughts purely from a performance, reliability and head-ache free future? Why? Please don't bring warranty discussions into this as that's been beat to death.
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Not even a close choice in my book. Go Lund...the car will definitely make more power...and then when you want more, and you will, you can go the FF tune route. The Ngauge is awesome and will aide you for future modding.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
What he said. Out of those two, I'd go Lund. I've read very mixed reviews on the Ford PP2 from manual trans owners.

xjester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem w/PP
Edit: I just read the last line....and I'm an idiot. Apologies...

For pure performance, the FPPP2 is tough to beat. Lund has a great tune for overall performance and a good track record on reliability, however, I'm not sold on an Airraid CAI being enough to pair with that tune to get bang for buck. That GT350 87mm Throttle Body + GT350 CAI is a monster combo and jumps torque in the low end that will be obvious and noticable. And the tune isn't bad. Also, this pack sets you up for further modifications later, if you choose to do so, like the GT350 Intake Manifold.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
xjester - Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom.
Cheers

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Lund/stock intake. Didn't vote because that wasn't an option.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
i went with AED and the airaid (mainly because it was so cheap on sale, i would probably get a tune required intake if I were to do it again). I am 100% happy. Shaun works to get the tunes perfect and takes any feedback and is very quick to respond and tunes and revisions are quick to follow. Car pulls much harder everywhere and i'm even getting a little better mpg lol. If you like lund they're a great way to go too.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
How about Lund tune with the GT350 TB and intake?

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
I'd prefer Lund tune over the FRPP one, but for the intake, I wouldn't choose Airraid.

If you're going the route of getting a tune, might as well get an intake with a MAF diameter larger than stock. There is no point in having an intake with the stock diameter, unless you're sticking with the stock tune. I'd go for a JLT, Steeda or Roush.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Keith_PDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/PP
I'd prefer Lund tune over the FRPP one, but for the intake, I wouldn't choose Airraid.

If you're going the route of getting a tune, might as well get an intake with a MAF diameter larger than stock. There is no point in having an intake with the stock diameter, unless you're sticking with the stock tune. I'd go for a JLT, Steeda or Roush.
Correct me if I am wrong but the Airaid is larger than stock. In Option 1 I stated Airaid with restrictor removed.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36117

From my engineering perspective Airaid, steeda and GT350 are the best designs for IAT. I really don't want this to be a CAI debate thread, let's keep it focused on the question at hand. Appreciate everyone's time and knowledge.
Cheers,
Keith

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Correct me if I am wrong but the Airaid is larger than stock. In Option 1 I stated Airaid with restrictor removed.

From my engineering perspective Airaid, steeda and GT350 are the best designs for IAT. I really don't want this to be a CAI debate thread, let's keep it focused on the question at hand. Appreciate everyone's time and knowledge.
Cheers,
Keith
Yeah, that's true...but I was referring to using the CAI without cutting it.

If you want a Airraid style, the Severe Windstorm from Livernois comes with the larger diameter without needing to cut.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Cheers,
Keith
Don't forget Mishimoto on the IAT front. Those who have them so far have reported stock-like or near stock IAT control.

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
is cost a factor? what about warranty? fp stage 2 is a good combo if your worried about the warranty. or buy an airaid with ford stage 1 tune and keep the warranty for awhile u till you put some miles on the car. personally I wouldn't void warranty untill you have 20k miles on the car.

ZanarkO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2000 C5, 2006 Eclipse GT, 2003 Evo 8
I'm in the same dilemma , I can get a new airaid intake for 250 picked up.
Sponsored