Sponsored

Opinion on B&O System and 401A Leather on 2019?

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I got both 401A and B&O play in my 2019 GT. B&O play is better sounding than the old Sony premium package. I turned on the surround sound option and I really like it. For me it is all about the clarity of the sound, not the bass. Also I just got done with a long trip and the seats in the 401A package are more comfortable than the one's in my 2015 Ecoboost Premium. My legs did not hurt after the trip.
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I got both 401A and B&O play in my 2019 GT. B&O play is better sounding than the old Sony premium package. I turned on the surround sound option and I really like it. For me it is all about the clarity of the sound, not the bass. Also I just got done with a long trip and the seats in the 401A package are more comfortable than the one's in my 2015 Ecoboost Premium. My legs did not hurt after the trip.
Oh, yea, you def need to go into the settings and enable the surround option. It’s so weird that it’s not on by default.

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I will say that the active exhaust is one of the best options I ordered on the wife's '18. Mercy that things sounds good. Congrats on the upcoming new Mustang.

BTW, you won't regret the sound system either. Her's has the old shaker version, but it is still a good system.
I also got the active exhaust and will agree the active exhaust even sounds even better than B&O Play. Both are music to my ears.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
401a has thicker higher quality leather and more soft touch materials throughout, as well as the leather padding for your knee and the added stitching around the center console (the center console is also soft touch (though, barely) as opposed to completely hard plastic).
I had a 401a 2016 GT prior to my 401a 2019 GT, the 2016 GT had the same interior and leather as the 2018/2019 400a, the 401a 2019 GT is bar none a higher quality interior with better leather and stitching on the seats.
The 400a and 401a have the same leather, the difference is if you have the performance package you get a soft touch console.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 400a and 401a have the same leather, the difference is if you have the performance package you get a soft touch console.
Incorrect. It’s much thicker and the stitching on the seats is completely different, just like the “premier trim” stand-alone option on the 15-17 models.
And, no, the soft touch console, soft touch material on the doors, and leather knee pads, have nothing to do with the performance package; they are part of 401a. Performance Pack gets you a different aluminum dash trim and the two gauges, that’s it as far as the interior is concerned for PP1.

EDIT: To clarify, there was no difference in leather/interior quality between 400a and 401a on the 15-17 model years (unless you selected the standalone “premier trim” option). For 18 and up, there’s a significant difference.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ElCid08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
^this. Having owned an 18’ GT 400A, AND an 18’ GT with 401A, the leather is NOT the same

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
B&O is great! must have in my opinions. As far as the 401 leather I went with Recaros but I think the leather looks good regardless.
Ford leather in '15-'17s is all the same quality, even the Recaro leather is supplied by Ford to match rear seats etc, 401 has more stitch details offered? not sure...dman

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ford leather in '15-'17s is all the same quality
In 2016 (probably 2017 and maybe 2015), there was a Premier Trim option on top of 401A. The leather was definitely different. I saw and felt them side by side on the showroom before I ordered. From what I see on the 2019s, the 401A now includes what was called the Premier trim in those years but add soft touch to the console cover, etc..

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
In 2016 (probably 2017 and maybe 2015), there was a Premier Trim option on top of 401A. The leather was definitely different. I saw and felt them side by side on the showroom before I ordered. From what I see on the 2019s, the 401A now includes what was called the Premier trim in those years but add soft touch to the console cover, etc..
not according to Ford. Premier added some accent stitching, a little more detail and a leather dash with accent stitching for about $395.00 option. I spoke with them regarding Recaro build which was listed to include Premier trim and dash...it didn't. that's when the leather seat info was laid out in detail. But, Ford can be clueless as to their info. I spoke with 3 different people re: trim with Recaros, especially about the dash and they all weren't really sure about much. it was Recaro that said all Ford leather was the same as well as on the Recaro seats, sent to them by Ford. I owned a leather company and really did not see a grade difference. Mustangs are not Maseratis...leather wise. another good topical...mystery dman

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not according to Ford. Premier added some accent stitching, a little more detail and a leather dash with accent stitching for about $395.00 option. I spoke with them regarding Recaro build which was listed to include Premier trim and dash...it didn't. that's when the leather seat info was laid out in detail. But, Ford can be clueless as to their info. I spoke with 3 different people re: trim with Recaros, especially about the dash and they all weren't really sure about much. it was Recaro that said all Ford leather was the same as well as on the Recaro seats, sent to them by Ford. I owned a leather company and really did not see a grade difference. Mustangs are not Maseratis...leather wise. another good topical...mystery dman
The Recaro seats used the base leather regardless of premier trim on the 15-17s.
There’s a stark difference in the leather thickness between my 16 GT 401a and my 2019 GT 401a. The 2018 400a I test drove had the same leather and interior as my [non-premier trim] 16 GT 401a

Sponsored

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
The Recaro seats used the base leather regardless of premier trim on the 15-17s.
There’s a stark difference in the leather thickness between my 16 GT 401a and my 2019 GT 401a. The 2018 400a I test drove had the same leather and interior as my [non-premier trim] 16 GT 401a
my info is only regarding '15-'17 interiors. with the problems Ford had with the leathers in general, would like to think they made improvements for '18 etc. also remember, leather is designated by Premium models. I think if Ford was offering higher grade in what is the PREMIER option, it would have definitely been listed in their brochure as a selling point...it's not. too bad Ford's not involved or even cares to be.

there are wrecks on the information highway...dman

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
not according to Ford. Premier added some accent stitching, a little more detail and a leather dash with accent stitching for about $395.00 option. But, Ford can be clueless as to their info. I spoke with 3 different people re: trim with Recaros, especially about the dash and they all weren't really sure about much. it was Recaro that said all Ford leather was the same as well as on the Recaro seats, sent to them by Ford. I owned a leather company and really did not see a grade difference.
Have no idea about Recaro seats. Not sure why you say Ford was clueless when it sounds like only Recaro was clueless. Then again, maybe Recaro just meant all Ford leather was bovine. :wink:

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my info is only regarding '15-'17 interiors. with the problems Ford had with the leathers in general, would like to think they made improvements for '18 etc. also remember, leather is designated by Premium models. I think if Ford was offering higher grade in what is the PREMIER option, it would have definitely been listed in their brochure as a selling point...it's not. too bad Ford's not involved or even cares to be.

there are wrecks on the information highway...dman
I just did some searching via old posts on this forum and the difference with premier trim vs non on the 15-17s was full grain leather (premier) vs split grain leather (standard). I’d imagine it’s now the same with 400a vs 401a for 18+ MY. The pics posted above have a very easy-to-see visual difference beyond the stitching and perforations.

Here’s one of the posts I’m referencing: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...rence-between-premium-and-standard-trim.9510/
He seems to be getting the information via the old order page (which no longer exists). The info might be available in a dealership order guide too if someone has one (not brochure).

Nikujaga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I did a good listening session with the B&O system today...I was not blown away, it is nice though. The low end had drive to it, good impact to my ears, if you want really thundering hip hop bass this is not it.
Output was more than ample with not much breakup/distortion. I didn't find 12 speakers making much of a difference in sound immersion compared to others. Here is a bit of a rub, I have the base 6 speaker setup in my car and was quite dissatisfied until reading something in a Camaro forum....the speed compensated volume was the key. Setting it to +4 (speed comp. volume), bass at max, treble max, midrange 2 bars below neutral, fade 2 bars to the rear speakers, made a significant difference. Really did! In comparison to the B&O system the high end is about the same, so are vocals, the low end and spl level are the B&O's forte. The music listened to was Antonio Carlos Jobim -The Composer Plays, Salena Jones-Someday My Price Will Come , Amy Winehouse-Our Day Will Come (which has some nice low end), and Shirley Bassey-It's Impossible (great vocal track). If buying a Mustang again I would opt for it, but I don't miss not having it.
Sponsored

Last edited: