OP Updated: Steps for Loading SYNC and MAP updates

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
With COVID causing us to stay home a lot, I'm now so bored that I typed up the following. Even if you don't want to update your SYNC software and/or your car's MAP data, I'm hoping this might be somewhat helpful at some point. Anyway I have plenty of time so why not?

Notice: Below I mention using your battery charger instead of starting the car. Ford instructions state the car must be running to update SYNC software. I was thinking this is only because of the electrical load (draw on the battery) so I used the battery charger. It worked fine, no need to run the engine. Please note that I had to sit in the car and watch over the process. At one point I got a message in the small display between the Speed and Tach displays saying the car was going to shut down in ... seconds. All it took was pressing the OK button to over ride the timer caused shut down. This is apparently in case you don't have the charger on and leave the ignition on.

UPDATE: The most current version of SYNC available for your VIN will work for the version of MAPS Ford provides for you. The instructions for loading MAPS may incorrectly state you need a version of SYNC that is higher than the version Ford provides you.

Updating the SYNC software on your Ford/Shelby.

1. Enter "www.owner.Ford.com" in your browser

Select "Register/Sign in" and login with your SYNC account login and password.
If you don't have a SYNC account you can register for one on this screen.

Note: This will also be the login you use for the FordPass APP (info at https://owner.ford.com/fordpass.html)
Some on this site have reported older cars don't support FordPass very well but it is somewhat useful on my 2019. FordPass is optional and not required to update you car's SYNC software.

Next:
2. Under the "Support" Tab - "Select SYNC Software Updates"

3. Select "Check Your VIN for SYNC Updates"

4. Select "Check For Updates"

5. Under How Do You Want To Install Select "Flash Drive"

Follow the listed instructions. The short story is you will load the most
updated version of SYNC available for your vehicle on to a flash drive in your computer
USB port, and then load the flash drive into your vehicle. The software will be updated
to your car's SYNC system automatically after installing the flash drive in your car's USB
port. It took about 20 minutes on my car but older systems may take longer. The engine needs
to be running (I suggest driving around) or you can load the update after attaching your
car charger and turning on accessories with out starting the engine. Remember ground
cable needs to be on a bolt in the engine compartment or the system does not record volts
charged. Positive charger cable is OK on the battery, the negative charger cable can be
attached to a bolt on the shock tower under the hood.
The system will notify you when the update is compete and that it is OK to take the USB
drive out of the USB port. The updated software will be available the next time you start
your car.

6. You can return to "www.owner.Ford.com" on your home computer with the same USB drive
that you used to update your car's SYNC software. At the end of the software update on
your car a file is updated on the USB drive. By going back to "www.owner.Ford.com" as
described above you will see an option at the bottom of the screen to update your car's
online software version information. Basically you are taking a file off of the USB drive
and letting the online Ford site know you no longer have the previous version of SYNC
installed on your car. This will allow Ford to notify you properly based on correct SYNC
version.

If you have any questions or problems feel free to contact me a [email protected]
It is very possible some of this information might be slightly different based on your
model year.

UPDATE: When you update the new version of MAPS as described below, it WILL NOT show the updated version number under the SYNC information screen on your car. This may not happen for all year models, however it did on my 19. Ford is aware of this and is working on a fix that will be in the next release of SYNC.

Loading Ford provided MAP updates on your car:

1. I ordered the MAP updates for my Shelby from Ford at "https://syncnavigation.com/ford/home" or Ford CRC at (800) 392-3673

2. They sent me a USB drive with the latest MAP updates. The cost was $40.00.
There is a free internet download, I do not know how long that would take and
your car would have to be running or on the charger the full time.

3. I used the battery charger as describe above to avoid running the car.

4. Place the MAP USB drive in your car's USB port.

5. Answer a couple of questions, like do you want to load the MAP data, and
the system will automatically load the updated MAP files to your SYNC
system. When finished you will be prompted to remove the USB drive
and SYNC will automatically restart itself. You will have access
to the new MAP data when you restart your car.

Good luck...
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Thanks @Frank.Herbst !

Just so some of us with older models donā€™t get sticker shock- the map update is no longer free...

97D16ADF-92C8-41FD-8897-9C0FE9886ED9.png
Tank,
I'm not sure about that one, my map update was $40.00 shipped on a USB drive. It is available free if you can handle downloading over the internet. I went the $40.00 USB drive option because the direct internet option was not easy to figure out and they do not provide support.
Wonder what the package you found was for. Is it for cars built before 2019?

Last edited:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Tank,
I'm not sure about that one, my map update was $40.00 shipped on a USB drive. It is available free if you can handle downloading over the internet. I went the $40.00 USB drive option because the direct internet option was not easy to figure out and they do not provide support.
Wonder what the package you found was for. Is it for cars built before 2019?
I just used the link you provided, entered my VIN and ESN. Ford then provided me with the $150 or $109 option.

Iā€™ve got a ā€˜16 so Iā€™m thinking the freebie gets phased out at some point.

BTW, these prices are consistent with a mailing I got earlier this year for the same map upgrade.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I just used the link you provided, entered my VIN and ESN. Ford then provided me with the $150 or $109 option.

Iā€™ve got a ā€˜16 so Iā€™m thinking the freebie gets phased out at some point.

BTW, these prices are consistent with a mailing I got earlier this year for the same map upgrade.
Thanks Tank,
I'm learning more about how Ford operates with input from you guys.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
You will have access
to the new MAP data when you restart your car.
Did you noticed what was navigation maps version before and after installation?

OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Did you noticed what was navigation maps version before and after installation?
Len,
I do not know if this is true for all model years but for my 19 loading the new MAPS DID NOT update the version number on the SYNC information screen. I have talked to Ford and they know about this problem and are working on a fix right now. It will be out in the next SYNC software version/fix. When you loaded your new MAP USB, if you were displayed an "Update Complete, you can remove your USB drive" notice, then your MAP software is up to date even if the SYNC information screen still shows the previous version number for MAPS.

I will post when the new SYNC update/fix is out. We should receive notice through our FordPass APP.

el-guapin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tesla.com
Vehicle(s)
1949 UFO
Len,
I do not know if this is true for all model years but for my 19 loading the new MAPS DID NOT update the version number on the SYNC information screen. I have talked to Ford and they know about this problem and are working on a fix right now. It will be out in the next SYNC software version/fix. When you loaded your new MAP USB, if you were displayed an "Update Complete, you can remove your USB drive" notice, then your MAP software is up to date even if the SYNC information screen still shows the previous version number for MAPS.

I will post when the new SYNC update/fix is out. We should receive notice through our FordPass APP.
Look at the thread I linked earlier! Lots of info there!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...UPDATE: The most current version of SYNC available for your VIN will work for the version of MAPS Ford provides for you. The instructions for loading MAPS may incorrectly state you need a version of SYNC that is higher than the version Ford provides you.

UPDATE: When you update the new version of MAPS as described below, it WILL NOT show the updated version number under the SYNC information screen on your car. This may not happen for all year models, however it did on my 19. Ford is aware of this and is working on a fix that will be in the next release of SYNC....
Focusing on the two updates:

1. The version of Sync installed in your car and available in OASIS will not necessarily trigger a map update. My VIN on OASIS shows the correct and up-to-date version of my Sync3 system, and I receive OTA updates from Ford. However, the ESN doesn't match the one on the car when it was built and the map provider has declined to provide an update to the 1.19 maps, although they sold me a 1.18 update last year without any fuss. It's weird.

2. I installed the (free) update to 1.19 on my 2018 Explorer and it worked fine once they sorted out the "wrong license" issue they had right after the update came out (they were shipping/downloading the 1.19 maps with a 1.18 license). My Explorer screen shows the correct 1.19 maps, so the defect in showing the correct update doesn't seem to affect Sync3 3.0. It has been reported for 3.3 although not for 3.4.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
JAJ,
Lots of room for different versions from year to year. I think for me what I found is the Ford update system is OK. I used the install USB drive and went back online to update Ford's data base so they know what version of sync I have. I like that because they will know to contact me if I need a fix or if an update is available at a later date. I'll let you guys know when they fix the problem with the SYNC information screen showing the previous version number. It's always nice when a system confirms the update worked.
Thanks for the 3.0/3.3/3.4 info.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Focusing on the two updates:

1. The version of Sync installed in your car and available in OASIS will not necessarily trigger a map update. My VIN on OASIS shows the correct and up-to-date version of my Sync3 system, and I receive OTA updates from Ford. However, the ESN doesn't match the one on the car when it was built and the map provider has declined to provide an update to the 1.19 maps, although they sold me a 1.18 update last year without any fuss. It's weird.

2. I installed the (free) update to 1.19 on my 2018 Explorer and it worked fine once they sorted out the "wrong license" issue they had right after the update came out (they were shipping/downloading the 1.19 maps with a 1.18 license). My Explorer screen shows the correct 1.19 maps, so the defect in showing the correct update doesn't seem to affect Sync3 3.0. It has been reported for 3.3 although not for 3.4.
I'm replying to my own post to update the situation on 1.19 updates for cars with Sync3 installed later, like mine. I tried the update site again last night (August 13) and it accepted my VIN and ESN and offered me a 1.19 map update for $109 download or $149 USB. I downloaded the update and it's installing as I write this.

So, it now looks like if you have a ESN/VIN combination that's validated through OASIS, map updates are available for a fee. This is progress.

OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I'm replying to my own post to update the situation on 1.19 updates for cars with Sync3 installed later, like mine. I tried the update site again last night (August 13) and it accepted my VIN and ESN and offered me a 1.19 map update for $109 download or $149 USB. I downloaded the update and it's installing as I write this.

So, it now looks like if you have a ESN/VIN combination that's validated through OASIS, map updates are available for a fee. This is progress.
JAJ,
Did you download to a laptop?

OP
OP
Frank.Herbst

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
To a desktop PC. Laptop would have worked too, but the office pc is just easier.
Sounds like a great way to save money.
After you load it onto your SYNC system, can you let us know if 1.19 shows up as your Map version?
Sponsored