Sponsored

One more liqui moly cera-tick

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, the Ceratec definitely worked. Poured in an entire bottle of the stuff after draining an equivalent amount of oil out (I know I didn't need to but just wanted to make sure it didn't overfill).

Drove it for about 30 miles and presto; all ticking related sounds are gone.

Idle tick? Gone.

The rapid tick that happens between 1300 and 2200 rpm? Gone.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised; after all, it's worked for everyone else. And if the tick returns after an oil change, so be it; I've got another bottle on standby waiting to be poured in, lol.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well, the Ceratec definitely worked. Poured in an entire bottle of the stuff after draining an equivalent amount of oil out (I know I didn't need to but just wanted to make sure it didn't overfill).

Drove it for about 30 miles and presto; all ticking related sounds are gone.

Idle tick? Gone.

The rapid tick that happens between 1300 and 2200 rpm? Gone.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised; after all, it's worked for everyone else. And if the tick returns after an oil change, so be it; I've got another bottle on standby waiting to be poured in, lol.
I find that only 1/2 a bottle works. This may vary between cars. Because of this, I can add only 100-150ml each oil change without having to spend so much on an additive. I even emailed Liqui-Moly, and they did tell me Ceratec is safe to use "every" oil change, and supposedly does not cause any severe build up or sludge problems. Well...???

...I did an experiment where I added some Ceratec to brand new oil in a jar, and let it sit for a couple months. It did separate, and some did stick to the bottom of the glass jar. My guess, is that if temps go up, and oil circulates, it wouldn't stick to the bottom of the pan causing a layer of sludge buildup. At least, I would "hope" that's the case.

Btw, after 3,000 miles on this OCI using only QSUD 5w30, the oil is now dirty enough that all ticking has stopped. I did notice it burnt more oil this OCI. About 1/2qt over 5,000mi. I will probably go back to using a small amount of Ceratec each OCI, since the engine is slightly quieter, and seems to use less oil, about 8oz between changes.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I find that only 1/2 a bottle works. This may vary between cars. Because of this, I can add only 100-150ml each oil change without having to spend so much on an additive. I even emailed Liqui-Moly, and they did tell me Ceratec is safe to use "every" oil change, and supposedly does not cause any severe build up or sludge problems. Well...???

...I did an experiment where I added some Ceratec to brand new oil in a jar, and let it sit for a couple months. It did separate, and some did stick to the bottom of the glass jar. My guess, is that if temps go up, and oil circulates, it wouldn't stick to the bottom of the pan causing a layer of sludge buildup. At least, I would "hope" that's the case.

Btw, after 3,000 miles on this OCI using only QSUD 5w30, the oil is now dirty enough that all ticking has stopped. I did notice it burnt more oil this OCI. About 1/2qt over 5,000mi. I will probably go back to using a small amount of Ceratec each OCI, since the engine is slightly quieter, and seems to use less oil, about 8oz between changes.
Great info; thanks for posting!

Especially the part about the Ceratec sticking. This makes me think that when I perform my pre-winter-storage oil change, I won't be adding any Ceratec to the fresh oil since the car won't be started for months on end. Like you said, don't want the Ceratec separating from the oil and sludging at the bottom.

Thanks again.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
At what concentration?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
At what concentration?
50ml in 1 qt... Which is slightly less than a full 300ml bottle for 5qts.

I shook the jar vigorously for about a minute, and the amount that stuck was very little. The jar was at room temp. I have a sneaky suspicion, if it was at operating temp, with constant circulation, it "probably" wouldn't stick.
Sponsored