Sponsored

One more liqui moly cera-tick

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I've read ceratec helps to some, so I compared my situation to another member's gt symptoms (similar) with ceratec success story and after doubts decided to give it a try.

Some observation on my tick:

It is pronounced on cold engine starts and until the engine completely warms up. By that I mean oil and coolant temperature gauges stop growing. At that point it's either non existent or too quiet to hear.

No ticking at idle. Only low rpm slow accelerations (1000-2000rpms) at 1 and 2nd, or neutral while holding engine ~1750 rpms.

And if after that I stop the engine for some period of time - i.e. go get groceries or something that lets engine cool down a little.... I do not mean get completely cold, - fluid temperatures are still within ranges - oil within green area but closer to the beginning, coolant needle is just not vertical anymore, but you can drive the car without babying it as it will get hot while you are maneuvering through parking lot. So the tick is back until the engine is completely hot again.

And the sound was heard from passenger side with windows down and some obstacle on the right.

I got a bottle of ceratec and decided to give it a try. My engine oil level is almost at top so I only used 30-50% of the bottle... plus I do not like idea of additives. I thought - if it does not work, iI'll change the oil.

Started the engine, let it idle a little to make sure oil and additive get mixed well, then drove.

No tick in usual conditions.

I'll update in several more days to see what the progress will be.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna keep an eye on your updates. After my car breaks in looking at possibly using this product.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Gonna keep an eye on your updates. After my car breaks in looking at possibly using this product.
In either event will not add it next oil change and see what the outcome will be. Just curious.

mellow_yellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Can't you just use an oil that has high moly count in it?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Can't you just use an oil that has high moly count in it?
I thought the Ceratec was moly, but "Liquid Moly" is just the brand name. If you go to Amazon and read the product description it's some kind of ceramic based product.

Description
CERA TEC is a high-tech ceramic wear protection product for all motor oils. CERA TEC reduces friction and wear due to ceramic compounds that withstand extremely high chemical and thermal loads. Prevents direct metal-to-metal contact, thus increasing the engine service life.

Ceratec does seem to work on quieting down ticks, been a few guys here who said it made their ticking disappear .

Don't know if motor oil with high moly content would do the same.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Odd that your tick is prevalent when cold, but the majority of the rest of us is when the engine is nice and hot.

mellow_yellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I thought the ceratec was moly, but "Liquid Moly" is a brsnd name. Ig you go to Amazon and read the product description it's some kind of ceramic based product.

Description
CERA TEC is a high-tech ceramic wear protection product for all motor oils. CERA TEC reduces friction and wear due to ceramic compounds that withstand extremely high chemical and thermal loads. Prevents direct metal-to-metal contact, thus increasing the engine service life.

Don't know if motor oil with high moly content would do the same.
Okay, so ideally....if I decided to do this for when I get my Mustang back on its next oil change, how much of this stuff would I dump in? Is it safe to do the full 8 qts plus this? Or just leave it a quart shy and add this in. I am getting my short block replaced and I don't really want to have to go through with this again.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, so ideally....if I decided to do this for when I get my Mustang back on its next oil change, how much of this stuff would I dump in? Is it safe to do the full 8 qts plus this? Or just leave it a quart shy and add this in. I am getting my short block replaced and I don't really want to have to go through with this again.
You can read about it on Amazon, and lots of customer reviews. Could also search for Ceratec's website and get info.

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-20002-Friction-Modifier/dp/B001CZODH8

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
it says on the bottle, that bottle contents (300ml) is for 5 liters.

GT engine is 8 quarts.

I used half bottle or less. Another user at forum used all the bottle. If you try, you can try even less than half.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Odd that your tick is prevalent when cold, but the majority of the rest of us is when the engine is nice and hot.
this whole tick situation is odd.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
this whole tick situation is odd.
I believe there are several reasons for the tick. Hence, different symptoms. What is more strange is all of the short block swaps. Mine had metal shavings in the oil pan. From what I'm reading Cera Tec is a ceramic that coats the parts. Not Molybdenum. Either way strongly considering the stuff. Companies used to put zinc in oil for lubrication. If people are afraid of new products like Cera Tec. There are products that contain ZDDP Zinc an old time tested oil additive ingredient.

Last edited:
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Amazon reviews state miracles happen after using the additive. I'm far from idealizing it and will try discontinue it next oil change hoping the issue we have might be temporary break in thing. So, no, I do not feel like engine got more power and will have yet to see if oil consumption was reduced.

But I can definitely tell that the engine runs quieter. Inside the cabin is quieter. I removed sound pipe awhile ago. Less clunk overall.

I think I will try to switch to 5w30 in the future. Feel like 5w20 might be solely mpg motivated but will not work very well on engine life side.

No tick today either.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But I can definitely tell that the engine runs quieter.

No tick today either.
If it works to remove the ticking that's a huge plus IMO. The product has been around for quite awhile, so if it had any negative impacts you'd hear about it somewhere.

Will definately be interesting to see if the tick returns if you don't use it on the next oil change. But from what I've read, it will last awhile and it might take 2 or 3 oil changes to deplete the effect. If so, just add some again as needed.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
According to Cera Tec one bottle should last for UP TO 50,000 kilometeres (or approximately 30,000 miles). However I do not believe there is a limit to using it more frequently. I don't see why using it every 20k~25k wouldn't be a safe bet.

It does NOT extend oil change intervals however, it has essentially no effect on oil per say, the oil is still doing it's oily things. Cera Tec's Liqui Moly is chemically inert. More or less it's a cermaic micro-coating that adheres to metal surfaces to reduce friction.

I doubt it's a miracle fix all, however it's an enhancement in lubrication technology that seems to almost unanimously quiet down undesirable engine noises and reduce friction. I doubt you'd "feel" and increase in power, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of ponies more on the dyno and there are quite a few people who do report a few more miles to the gallon in fuel economy after switching. It's also catalytic converter safe and the particulate size is small enough that it doesn't cause any clogging issues in normal filter media. I'd have no issues paying $25 for it once every fourth or fifth oil change (I'm currently doing 5k, but may go up to 7k).

I think a few even report slightly lower average cylinder head temps and reduced oil consumption. Makes sense. If the ceramic coating is doing it's job and reducing friction, it's also reducing heat and resistance. It may also provide a better seal for piston rings as the machining variations of the cylinder walls from honing are filled in at a microscopic level, so the combination of a better piston ring seal and lower coefficient of friction certainly reduce heat and oil consumption.

Oil control rings are only as good as their ability to seal and scrape oil off the cylinder walls. I'd imagine the Liqui Moly enhances that. The ceramic compound itself I believe is good up to 1200 C (2192 F). That's far hotter than you pistons and rings can tolerate: https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000017/3721-CeraTec-26.0-en.pdf

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Interesting. Would love to see the results of you ABA testing.
Sponsored