OK to drive without Shocks?

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I want the smoothest ride possible. Going to go without shocks on the rear. Any problems with this idea?

J/K LOL

Actually I'm trying to track down an annoying pop / clunk that is coming from the rear suspension and am thinking that it may be the aftermarket shock mount with a spherical bearing in it. I had a similar noise arise from a set of camber plates with a spherical bearing that I had on the from struts. After a freaking ton of trouble shooting, swapping the plates back out to the stock PP units got rid of the problem. I've already had the rear shock assemblies out of the car and can't "feel" any play, but I couldn't on the camber plates either.

I'd like to have a short test drive without the shocks installed to see if the noise goes away.
Is this going to mess something up or make the car completely uncontrollable?
Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Put your factory mounts and go for a drive.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
It’s the shock mounts. I Spent Many hours changing parts to finally isolate the noise.
Slow speeds, sharp bumps is when it happens

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Back in the day(way back)..It was so funny on occasion seeing a car on the road and the back end constantly bouncing the whole time it was rolling..lol..factory shocks had to deal with alot of weight front and rear so they were junk at about 50,000 mi

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
It's unlikely to do any damage, but it'll handle in weird ways you never expected so just be really careful. I agree with what's been said above, put the oems in and see what happens.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Please don’t drive your car without shocks. Grab an open-faced socket and an allen wrench and really tighten the top nuts of the mounts. I had noise issues on first install, but once I used this method I haven’t had and problems at all.
Sponsored