Sponsored

Oil Temp Problems - Cold Weather

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So with the temps here constantly hovering around 10-15F degrees, I decided to go with the suggested method (by forum members) of adding pieces of a cardboard box on the front grill to block the air from going into the radiators. I have 2 pieces, one right next to the shelby logo and another thinner (but longer) right below. I covered about 80-85% and also poked some holes as to not to block the entire air.

The issue I am having is while oil temp is indeed around 178-180 (vs 153 before), now the CHT hovers around 223-225 with a momentary dip to 203 but then it goes back up again (I'm guessing something kicks in to reduce the temps as this is too obvious). This is with very gentle driving of shifting around 2500-3000rpm.

Questions:

- Are these temps OK to drive the car on a daily basis?
- Am I doing anything wrong with my cardboard solution, how can I improve it?

Also if someone can kindly explain the relationship between the CHT and oil temp and oil cooler and engine coolant and which radiators does what, that would be great. I'm a bit confused how these all work together (to be honest).
Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
The engine oil cooler is on the lower left below the left turn signal. That area you can cover 100% in the cold weather. I would remove most or all of the covering in the upper zone by the Shelby logo for the engine radiator, the thermostat will control that temp. Cylinder head temperature should reach 200-205 with this setup and your oil may register 180, but not much higher.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
To block cooling air to the oil cooler, you'll want to block off the grill directly below the blinker on the drivers side. That's the engine oil cooler. Opposite side would be the trans cooler. Based on my understanding of your description, you are blocking air to the coolant radiator and passenger side brake cooling duct.

This might explain your increased CHT - you're restricting flow to the radiator, which is allowing increased coolant temperature, thus CHT. Since oil also contacts the cylinder head, the increased CHT is also heating your oil, evident by your increased oil temp.

I would get rid of your cardboard ASAP and place it where it wants to be, on the grill below the drivers side blinker. Add holes as necessary to regulate the oil temp.

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 white with blue stripes "H1807"
So with the temps here constantly hovering around 10-15F degrees, I decided to go with the suggested method (by forum members) of adding pieces of a cardboard box on the front grill to block the air from going into the radiators. I have 2 pieces, one right next to the shelby logo and another thinner (but longer) right below. I covered about 80-85% and also poked some holes as to not to block the entire air.

The issue I am having is while oil temp is indeed around 178-180 (vs 153 before), now the CHT hovers around 223-225 with a momentary dip to 203 but then it goes back up again (I'm guessing something kicks in to reduce the temps as this is too obvious). This is with very gentle driving of shifting around 2500-3000rpm.

Questions:

- Are these temps OK to drive the car on a daily basis?
- Am I doing anything wrong with my cardboard solution, how can I improve it?

Also if someone can kindly explain the relationship between the CHT and oil temp and oil cooler and engine coolant and which radiators does what, that would be great. I'm a bit confused how these all work together (to be honest).
What kind of engineering degree did you say you have again??

Ok, the main radiator (the one you are blocking off behind the main upper grill) cools the engine coolant which is the CHT reading you are looking at. And of course the thermostat helps regulate this.

Next, the oil cooler (which is located behind the driver's side bottom grill opening under the turn signal) has the engine's oil pumping through it and simply cools the engine's oil itself.

At least that's what my ole common sense leads me to believe, its been known to be wrong a time or two though....

Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
What kind of engineering degree did you say you have again??

Ok, the main radiator (the one you are blocking off behind the main upper grill) cools the engine coolant which is the CHT reading you are looking at. And of course the thermostat helps regulate this.

Next, the oil cooler (which is located behind the driver's side bottom grill opening under the turn signal) has the engine's oil pumping through it and simply cools the engine's oil itself.

At least that's what my ole common sense leads me to believe, its been known to be wrong a time or two though....
I didn't know and I'm not ashamed to ask. This has nothing to do with my degree - which I dont want to go into details but was very difficult to obtain.

Back to the topic at hand, would this have damaged anything? I have been driving like this 3-4 days.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
You’re more than OK, if you took your car to the track you would see much higher temperatures as you have while you have been driving, But as a responsible Shelby owner, you really should learn more about your car and how it works.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Most likely not. If something catastrophic was impending, you most likely would have gotten some warning, via a CEL or something. The ECU may have had the engine run rich (or fussed with the timing) to reduce the CHT to compensate. I wouldn't worry about it.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
But as a responsible Shelby owner, you really should learn more about your car and how it works.
Is this literally not what he’s doing by this post?

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know and I'm not ashamed to ask. This has nothing to do with my degree - which I dont want to go into details but was very difficult to obtain.

Back to the topic at hand, would this have damaged anything? I have been driving like this 3-4 days.
In all seriousness, you should take the time to get up underneath your car and look things over. It's honestly a great learning experience and a bit of a bonding time to get to know your car. Pretty cool to see the little things that really go into putting a car together and to see how all that stuff works together that you can't see from above. :thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Guys,

I truly feel upset though I have to say not ashamed as I think being ignorant and not asking is what people should be ashamed of. I am upset that I didnt know and now that I m thinking about it, you dont need a course in this to figure it out. The radiator with the gigantic fan is the one that has the coolant not the oil.

On a side note, I do own a 4 post lift and probably got under this car little over 50 times for various things and know every inch of the car by heart. I know exactly where the fuel line is, brake lines, even where the catalyst heat shields end. I go under the car on jack stands every week to make sure its clean and no salt/chemicals stay there. So i m not an idiot at all, I just overlooked this and assumed wrong.

Thanks for everyone for helping out. I appreciate it.

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
A guy comes on here and humbly asks for advice and guidance, and some of you have the nerve to insult and patronize him? Seriously, time for some introspection.

dwalker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A guy comes on here and humbly asks for advice and guidance, and some of you have the nerve to insult and patronize him? Seriously, time for some introspection.
If you really think that my reply was a bit on the a-hole side, you should do a search of his other username of "MCarsFan" and see some of the replies to those threads... Mine seems like I'm offering him a hug compared to those lol.

If I hurt any feelings, I apologize. But I do feel as though a quick google search of how coolant and engine oil cooling systems work would have easily made some sense out of his concerns.

But anyways, the man got the answers he needed so lets all go have a cold one and enjoy this New Years weekend :cheers:

Last edited:

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
Ford lists an actual blocking plate for the drivers side air inlet for the oil cooler. Seems at one point the 2016 base (and maybe tech) was going to lack the oil cooler, so they developed a blanking plate.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Interwebs speak is sometimes misleading to intended intro. I have encountered this many times in my R&D pursuit on these forums. I've embarrassed a few knowledgeable peeps and have been embarrassed myself at some of the stupid crap I've stated wrongly.
Sponsored

Reactions: TDC