Sponsored

Oil separators / catch cans

knaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Can someone please explain to me like I'm 5, what's the difference between driver and passanger side catch cans?

I know one applies for forced induction engines, but which one and why?

Also, does it change for our cars with driver side being actully a passanger anywhere else (now that gets confusing...)?
Sponsored

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Can someone please explain to me like I'm 5, what's the difference between driver and passanger side catch cans?

Also, does it change for our cars with driver side being actully a passanger anywhere else (now that gets confusing...)?
See [MENTION=15083]Bobsp12[/MENTION] 's excellent explanation post #28 here :thumbsup:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1038527#post1038527

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords

Knaps....the passenger side on the rhd cars is just air into the crankcase....absolutely no point in a catch can there as it comes straight from the intake tube after the air filter. The drivers side is the air and oil mist out of the crankcase into the intake manifold....thats the side we need to filter via a catch can.
For Forced Induction motors, a can is useful on the intake side because they can reach a point at wot where the intake is pressurised above atmospheric pressure and the oil mist can revert back through the normal intake side.

In short...one can only for na engines, on our rhd drivers side, two is required for FI engines.

knaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks so much [MENTION=15083]Bobsp12[/MENTION], that makes more sense! :)

So in terms of naming, ordering UBR catch can from the US, can we can simply go for driver side one and it should still fit our spec Mustangs?

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Knaps....the passenger side on the rhd cars is just air into the crankcase....absolutely no point in a catch can there as it comes straight from the intake tube after the air filter. The drivers side is the air and oil mist out of the crankcase into the intake manifold....thats the side we need to filter via a catch can.
For Forced Induction motors, a can is useful on the intake side because they can reach a point at wot where the intake is pressurised above atmospheric pressure and the oil mist can revert back through the normal intake side.

In short...one can only for na engines, on our rhd drivers side, two is required for FI engines.
Thicko number 2s go now, what's na and F1?

Sponsored

tarabrae

How's the serenity?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback MT

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
Thanks so much [MENTION=15083]Bobsp12[/MENTION], that makes more sense! :)

So in terms of naming, ordering UBR catch can from the US, can we can simply go for driver side one and it should still fit our spec Mustangs?
He said on RHD cars, so I read "passenger side" when ordering from US...
Hope I got that right, 'coz that's what I ordered :)

tarabrae

How's the serenity?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
If you order it from the UPR website itself it knows which one you need, and the other is an optional extra for the "clean side". No mention of left, right, driver or passenger. The product picture shows it on the "starboard side" (the only way I could think of describing it with no room for perspective-based confusion).

Sponsored

knaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Yep, I think you're right, just re-read the message... I think...? :p

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
If you order it from the UPR website itself it knows which one you need, and the other is an optional extra for the "clean side". No mention of left, right, driver or passenger. The product picture shows it on the "starboard side" (the only way I could think of describing it with no room for perspective-based confusion).
Spot on Tarabrae....it is confusing for us rhd'ers. ..of course if you really wanted to add to the confusion, it is on the starboard side (right hand) if you are sitting in the car, but of course, the port side (left hand) if you are looking at the engine from the front of the car with the bonnet up.:frusty:
As you stated, the normal can offered is for the correct side and the clean side is the one not required for na motors.

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
Spot on Tarabrae....it is confusing for us rhd'ers. ..of course if you really wanted to add to the confusion, it is on the starboard side (right hand) if you are sitting in the car, but of course, the port side (left hand) if you are looking at the engine from the front of the car with the bonnet up.:frusty:
As you stated, the normal can offered is for the correct side and the clean side is the one not required for na motors.
As a Navy man, I feel obligated to point out that port and starboard do not change based on your position. That is the point of the terminology. Just as front and back do not change based on where you stand.

Port and starboard are nautical terms for left and right, respectively. Port is the left-hand side of or direction from a vessel, facing forward. Starboard is the right-hand side, facing forward. Since port and starboard never change, they are unambiguous references that are not relative to the observer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard

Last edited:

tarabrae

How's the serenity?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
As a Navy man, I feel obligated to point out that port and starboard do not change based on your position.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard
Yep, and exactly why I used that terminology. I've worked at airports most of my life, and whilst not normally used in reference to aircraft, I found it useful to use when trying to indicate a particular component, such as a door, over the radio to an observer that was most likely watching via CCTV from a head on position.

Apologies for the digression... :focus:

FPV GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TY GT
Vee motors have always had reference to the right hand bank or the left hand bank, regardless of driving posistion. The "dirtier" side is always from the right hand side.
Sponsored