thanks
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
If you're just DDing it and not running a lot of revs constantly you don't need one.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I went with the UPR catch can that sits by the radiator. Like said above, good piece of mind but you don't need one as the PCV is designed to burn away oil.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Not needed.

Sponsored

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
If you stay NA and don't drive hard not really. But boosted or running the car hard for sure. But either way for less than $150 and a five minute install, it's worth it.

BigDinTexas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
I vote a definite need if you drive spirited at all... I collect about an ounce and a half of oil in my JLT catch can every 6 months... for a 2012, that's almost half a cup of oil diverted from the intake every year... I daily drive this girl and she's got 95k miles... money well spent.
Don

Last edited:

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
It is part of the emission controls, so Ford or any other company, can not have them installed at the factory because they have to be drained. Not sure what the mileage or age number is anymore, but it was 5 years 60K at one time that emissions had to run without maintenance.

I have one on 3 of my 4 cars.

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
I'd like one but everyone's asking a bit too much for their tin can's and rubber tubes. If it was 50 bucks I'd go for it.

StephanPooter83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 401A GT PP Lightning blue silver stripe
I checked my intake and it was bone dry though I only have 3500 miles. It's my personal opinion that it's needed on FI cars. As others said if it was only 50 then I would just get one.

Sponsored

skistoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 20" CO
I have the JLT and I check it maybe every other month.

And there it is usually about 1/4 full of oil

so I would say it's worth getting

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
A little oil in the intake is not a bad thing.
Absolutely unnecessary.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I run the Ford Performance one. Fits nicely, looks stock. Is it needed? Depends on who you ask, but obviously the car will run fine without it. I grabbed one just in case, and they catch a good amount of oil. I'm not saying the oil would hurt anything, but I'd rather have it in the seperator than the intake.

hmperf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Holman Moody Mustang
A little oil in the intake is not a bad thing.
Absolutely unnecessary.
Keep in mind the oil will make the intake pretty messy and gummy over time. Plus the oil winds up in the cylinder and therefore on the plugs. In my supercharged car when I added the catch can, it cured a very slight hesitation I had occasionally that was attributed to the plugs being fouled by trace amounts of oil. This was on an older mustang. So when I built this new one, its the first accessory I added. Its worth keeping the intake track clean IMO.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Keep in mind the oil will make the intake pretty messy and gummy over time. Plus the oil winds up in the cylinder and therefore on the plugs. In my supercharged car when I added the catch can, it cured a very slight hesitation I had occasionally that was attributed to the plugs being fouled by trace amounts of oil. This was on an older mustang. So when I built this new one, its the first accessory I added. Its worth keeping the intake track clean IMO.
Agreed. That little bit of oil that guys report in their catch cans may sound insignificant, but over time if you would pour that oil into a container, you'll see how much you saved from getting into your intake. Sure, it'll take a while to build up, but as seeing the results for myself before, I made sure I installed two of them after I got my SC installed. You can drive like a crazed wild man stunt driver all you want without one of course, but for me, I'd rather have them.
Sponsored