Sponsored

Oil change....why can’t I trust the dealer.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I gave in and went to the dealer. I asked them if there was a certain tech that they like to work on specialty cars such as the GT 350 and Raptors, and could talk to that tech. They told me RJ is their Mustang guy and only he will drive it. He came up and introduced himself and I asked the typical questions....filter torque specs...no mess techniques...the right filter, stuff like that. He just said “come back and you can watch”! Perfect...I watched the entire process. He let me make sure the belly pan was clean when he was done with his flash light. He put in 10 quarts of the right oil, checked the level and let me drive it out. All in all....on your back with jack stands would suck. I am happy the “break in oil” is out at about 600 miles, so here we go!
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Thats exactly how my dealership does it and thats how it should be. If you go to a dealership service and ask those questions, don't give them the answer like "you do know it takes 10 quarts" ask them if they know how many quarts it takes. (which you should) and it doesn't feel right, like they really have no knowledge of how to change oil on the GT 350 go on to other dealerships and do the same till you find one you feel comfortable with. And before all those do it yourself mechanics chip in not all of us are mechanics or want to be and have the know how to be sure to do it right and proper tools. Therefore we have to go to a dealership. Plus (hopefully not) something goes wrong with engine related to the oil change its on them and they have to make it right.

OP
OP
Nicky Pass

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
It was $158....and I gave him a $20 before he got in the car (the Italian in me).

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport

Sponsored

G3NGO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I avoid the dealership at all cost, but don’t want the hassle of amateurs tools so I take a hybrid approach:

I buy the correct oil and filter myself then take it to a local, independent mechanic along with the filter wrench.

I look for places small enough where they don’t mind me participating in the process. (Checking it’s on the lift properly, undertray clean, filter torqued, etc). The last time I did this the guy only charged me like $30. Total bargain to do it with ease! Dealership wanted $280 (with oil and filter). I spent half that and got to see the job done right. Also the local guy was super nice and we had a good conversation while while working. Will definitely do it this way with the GT350.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
That should tell you a lot about lmr’s willingness to rip you off.

https://k-mansparts.com/motorcraft-10qt-5w-50-full-synthetic-oil-change-kit-gt350-detail.htm

That’s $97. The newer cartridge filter is like $7. You can go to Ford parts counter and get it for 8-8.50/qt

$187 for a dealer oil change with a newer 350 is paying $100 in labor.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
It was $158....and I gave him a $20 before he got in the car (the Italian in me).
I am in the camp of DIY oil changes. I don't get paying someone $20 up front for a job they should know how to do and do right. I would be on board paying the money after the fact, but I get why you are doing it. It is a testament to the sorry state of dealership service.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
So, I made a Saturday appointment for alignment & oil change but the machine went down at Firestone that I use, the Mgr. calls at 7:30 am to inform, I call another Firestone in the area who give me a Sunday 12:00 noon appt. for an alignment but won't use my oil an filter? Damn, so I surrender to the "Dealer-ship", for a Monday oil change at 4:00pm.
God help me with this !! I'm buying a jack and jack stands and "jacking rails",Frick!

NHman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I avoid the dealership at all cost, but don’t want the hassle of amateurs tools so I take a hybrid approach:

I buy the correct oil and filter myself then take it to a local, independent mechanic along with the filter wrench.
+1 for me.

The dealer were I purchased by GT350 from offered the first oil service for no-charge. Perhaps they will do a good job. I don't have any experience working with them but I do know my local independent shop. I can be on the floor with the tech and monitor the whole process. In the end it will cost me more but it's worth the peace of mind knowing that it will be handled correctly (including cleaning out the catch can).

tom185

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Rock Auto. This is from an order I made mid-April ($6.36) for 11 quarts. They are at $6.86 a quart today. Sometimes their prices fluctuate to the high-end but if you wait a few days they come back down. I think their stocking system automatically raises the price on their site when they get low on stock. Once they restock the cost comes down again. Lowest I ever got was $6.07. I also think that mid-month (between the 10th and 20th) is when I got my best prices. I've never had to buy case quantities.
Screen Shot 6.jpg