Oil catch cans on the '18+ Coyotes

velocity550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I am more then happy with my catch can. All the nay-sayers need to try it for themselves. I know it works due to the oil it traps in the can after every oil change, and I recently installed an air intake and the throttle body was bone dry and had no trace of oil on it.
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
If it makes you sleep better at night. :)

You might get a few drops if you constantly redline your car or your track it really hard on a road course.
I only track my car, 17 pp1 with 305/35/18 nt01, and before putting the aluminum gt500 valve covers, I was getting a lot of oil on BOTH sides

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
The driver's side is a waste of money unless you are boosted. Don't bother.
Can please someone explain to us - less knowledgable members - how the side of the engine can influence the oil steam buildup?

Last edited:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Can please someone explainint to us - less knowledgable members - how the side of the engine can influence the oil steam buildup?
In the old days, one side went to the vacuum of the intake manifold to be disposed of while the other side went to a clean air source like the airbox so that air was drawn in one side and purged out the other hence one side will get all the vapor/blowby while the other side is simply an air intake. The intake side would only see crankcase vapors if blowby exceeded manifold vacuum or if the engine shuts off and the vapors exhaust up into your air filter. If Coyote works different I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to correct me.

Sponsored

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
On my 2017, I have a UPR setup with the return filler on the drivers side. Even with port injection, it's amazing how much crude it captures. I'm sure some small percentage makes it back through the induction system, but it at least feels good to know that most of it gets captured.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I had one on my Charger SCAT and it did catch some oil, it wasn't the amount others claimed they had. So either I got lucky with a super efficient engine or just didn't drive it hard enough (which I'm pretty sure I did). I was nervous after I installed it because it started doing the infamous hemi tick...doesn't take much for a manufacture to claim a modification caused an issue and deny a claim.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. Maybe if you plan on keeping the car for 10+ years...maybe. If it was that important to prevent failures, I'm sure we'd see them on at least some stock engines.

Just my .02

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Low Speed Pre-Ignition is an issue primarily with smaller turbo engines and the cause is low-quality oil or fuel. Maybe this is more of an issue with the Eco-boost engine vs the 5.0 Gen 3.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
If you install one, you'll be pretty surprised by how much they trap, I know I don't want all that oil going into the intake track on my car. Pass. side only.
Yep, the side with the PCV valve is the one you want. I don't race either but after 1000 miles, there's a couple ounces of oil in it. So I personally rather not have that oil in my intake manifold or cylinder head runners up to the intake valves.

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Yep, the side with the PCV valve is the one you want. I don't race either but after 1000 miles, there's a couple ounces of oil in it. So I personally rather not have that oil in my intake manifold or cylinder head runners up to the intake valves.
I m think about the catch can on my 2021 M1. I m a little worried about the need and then adding pressure issues or a clogged line with freezing weather. I ve search all this stuff and still can t come up with a clear path. If anyone wants to expand I m all ears. Street driven only.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I m think about the catch can on my 2021 M1. I m a little worried about the need and then adding pressure issues or a clogged line with freezing weather. I ve search all this stuff and still can t come up with a clear path. If anyone wants to expand I m all ears. Street driven only.
People vastly overthink it. Ford produces a motor they are willing to warranty without it. The junkyards aren't filled with a bunch of Coyote powered vehicles that just gave up the ghost at X miles. PCV has been on motors well back into the 70's at least and it hasn't been some sort of massive motor killer. Why would it all of a sudden become the end of all motors just for a gen 3 Coyote?

rothrj91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Lime PP1 GT
On a port injected engine it's really more of a preference than a necessity imo. Definitely cannot hurt to add one. If it's solely a direct injected engine then I would definitely add a catch can as the backside of the intake valves will for sure get carbon build up on them. I've seen it on my 2015 Fusion with the 2.0L that is direct injection only.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
People vastly overthink it. Ford produces a motor they are willing to warranty without it. The junkyards aren't filled with a bunch of Coyote powered vehicles that just gave up the ghost at X miles. PCV has been on motors well back into the 70's at least and it hasn't been some sort of massive motor killer. Why would it all of a sudden become the end of all motors just for a gen 3 Coyote?
The oil separator (aka "catch can") isn't for longevity of the engine. Not having one won't have any effect in terms of causing damage to an engine or affecting it's longevity. It just prevents the oil vapors from condensing and coating the insides of your intake manifold runners and ports. Depending upon the engine's design, some will actually pool oil in certain spots in the intake. I've pulled many intakes in my career and some engines have much more oil than others. That being said, I really hated when I removed an intake and had oil dripping all over the place. While no one has reportedly tested to see if there's any performance issues (seriously doubt you'd notice any reduction caused by the oil vapor, etc.) it's just nice to know that all the oil in the reservoir trap that I empty out every so often ISN'T getting into my intake system.

Yes, PCV systems have been around since the 60's and it's one of the best things ever designed that prolongs engine life and reduces emissions (I remember the old cars that had "draft tubes" underneath the engine to draw out crankcase vapors while the car was moving at a good clip; didn't do a thing if it was at a stop). Just because something has worked fine for decades doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. I think the oil separator is more valuable in engines with higher compression and performance than an engine with 9:1 compression in terms of the amount of blowby gases and such. So basically, get one if you want or don't get one. It's merely a preference issue but it certainly won't hurt to have one.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
The oil separator (aka "catch can") isn't for longevity of the engine. Not having one won't have any effect in terms of causing damage to an engine or affecting it's longevity. It just prevents the oil vapors from condensing and coating the insides of your intake manifold runners and ports. Depending upon the engine's design, some will actually pool oil in certain spots in the intake. I've pulled many intakes in my career and some engines have much more oil than others. That being said, I really hated when I removed an intake and had oil dripping all over the place. While no one has reportedly tested to see if there's any performance issues (seriously doubt you'd notice any reduction caused by the oil vapor, etc.) it's just nice to know that all the oil in the reservoir trap that I empty out every so often ISN'T getting into my intake system.

Yes, PCV systems have been around since the 60's and it's one of the best things ever designed that prolongs engine life and reduces emissions (I remember the old cars that had "draft tubes" underneath the engine to draw out crankcase vapors while the car was moving at a good clip; didn't do a thing if it was at a stop). Just because something has worked fine for decades doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. I think the oil separator is more valuable in engines with higher compression and performance than an engine with 9:1 compression in terms of the amount of blowby gases and such. So basically, get one if you want or don't get one. It's merely a preference issue but it certainly won't hurt to have one.
It certainly won't hurt anything, but I believe it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The only manifold I pulled that was drenched in oil was one where the PCV valve had failed and stuck open. Other than that there was the usual higher mileage maintenance on the old 5.0 where you had to scrub the backside of the throttle body for oil residue but it never really had an affect on the motors drivability.
Sponsored