Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I know the catch cans were beneficial on my 2013 GT500. Kept the intercooler clean from varnish and build up and valves clean.

On N/A Coyotes before D/I the catch can prevented build up on top of the valves.

Since D/I keeps the valves clean on 18+ Coyotes.

Can anyone tell me a reason an oil catch can would be needed on the 2018+ Coyotes?
Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I have the Ford Racing catch can and it is amazing how much oil it captures on my 2018 GT A10. You have to get this to keep the engine clean.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I can also confirm they work - had a Ford Performance Oil-Air Separator on my '19 GT.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
On N/A Coyotes before D/I the catch can prevented build up on top of the valves.

Since D/I keeps the valves clean on 18+ Coyotes.

Can anyone tell me a reason an oil catch can would be needed on the 2018+ Coyotes?
You have it all wrong here, but let me help.

The reason for having a catch can is to prevent the oil vapors from the PCV system from coating your intake manifold and head intake ports with oil. Port injection helps to clean the valves off this stuff, but it does nothing for the other parts mentioned.

So as long as there's oil vapors going into the intake tract from PCV, you *should* get some sort of catchcan. Now how effective it is and how much you actually benefit from this is a different discussion.

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
My buddy (who knows more than me) told me if I was gonna get groceries with my car, who cares. If I do pulls and drift and generally hoon about at high rev, I absolutely need one to help keep my intake clean. I installed it and indeed it catches oil.

OP
OP
Firsttexan

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Port injection is what helps keep the valves clean. A catch can should help keep the intake cleaner by siphoning off what would otherwise get flushed back through the PCV. On n/a, it’s really only needed on the passenger side.
You have it all wrong here, but let me help.

The reason for having a catch can is to prevent the oil vapors from the PCV system from coating your intake manifold and head intake ports with oil. Port injection helps to clean the valves off this stuff, but it does nothing for the other parts mentioned.
2018+ have dual injection solving that issue. No catch can needed IMO. A little varnish in the intake seems to be a non issue.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
2018+ have dual injection solving that issue. No catch can needed IMO. A little varnish in the intake seems to be a non issue.
But 15-17 also have port injection and they need it? Why, the port injection is what keeps valves clean. the 18+ added direct injection and kept port injection the same as 15-17. So an 18+ needs a catch can for the same reason as the 15-17, the are no different.

Catch cans are mainly for manifold runners and the top of the head intake ports. If you don't believe those will be negatively affected by an oil film, then no you don''t need a catch can.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Just to further clarify what's already been said, DI (direct injection) sprays fuel directly into the combustion chamber so that fuel never sees the back of the valves and thus on cars with ONLY DI, it's an issue.

Our 18+ cars also have PI (port injection) which is how it's been since carburetors stopped being used. That sprays upstream of the valves and is sucked into the combustion chamber by the engine's intake stroke and does indeed pass over the valves to help reduce carbon build-up.

I still run a catch-can (as I did on my 2016 when I had it) as not only to you reduce the carbon build-up on intake parts leading to the valves, but you also keep that oil vapour out of the fuel/air mixture so it's more of a "pure" burn (slightly better performance, less knock ... all minor I'm sure but still better).

Sponsored
OP
OP
Firsttexan

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah. I don't race either and there's always some at the bottom of the can when I check.
In the Carb days it all got washed down with fuel. Maybe the build up is an issue?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Firsttexan

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now how effective it is and how much you actually benefit from this is a different discussion.
The above question was really my motivation for the thread.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The above question was really my motivation for the thread.
Well really for the same reason as the GT500 mentioned earlier. It will keep the internal air tract parts clean of varnish. Might not be *as* important as the intercooler fins, but if you want to keep stuff clean of varnish and oil, you get a catch can.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
If you install one, you'll be pretty surprised by how much they trap, I know I don't want all that oil going into the intake track on my car. Pass. side only.

OP
OP
Firsttexan

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you install one, you'll be pretty surprised by how much they trap, I know I don't want all that oil going into the intake track on my car. Pass. side only.
I had em on both sides with the GT500 . Is the driver side not an issue on the Coyote?
Sponsored