Sponsored

Ohio drops front plate requirement

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Ohio has passed a law dropping the requirement for a front plate. :rockon: I'm kind of shocked.

https://www.wdtn.com/news/local-news/ohio-drops-front-license-plate-requirement/1898881387

Between the lobbying efforts of 3M corporation, the government's interest in using it for revenue and surveillance, and the resistance from law enforcement, I really didn't think that we'd ever see another state drop the front plate requirement.

The change doesn't officially take effect until July 2020, but I don't imagine that LEOs will bother enforcing it in the mean time. They seem to have eased up on enforcement in recent years anyway. Probably trying to keep things quiet while the law has been considered.

I'm sure Columbus meter maids will collect every dime they can from their front plate ordinance for as long as they can.
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
Perfect timing as I just bought my new stang last month and have no drill holes

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I seriously wish Texas would get rid of it too. Been riding without one for over two years, got pulled over once by a state trooper who was just looking for an excuse to look at my car closer and gave me a light warning. First words out of his mouth, "Really nice car. License and registration?"

Followed by everyone thinking I was doing 100 in a 50 as they drive by.

Deleted member 35644

All my relatives live in states that don't require it. FL, NC, AZ. C'mon Texas, join the 21st century.

I haven't attached a front plate in years. I have a lot of co-conspirators driving around. I counted 8 cars without a front plate while sitting at a red light a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the cops have given up.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
All my relatives live in states that don't require it. FL, NC, AZ. C'mon Texas, join the 21st century.

I haven't attached a front plate in years. I have a lot of co-conspirators driving around. I counted 8 cars without a front plate while sitting at a red light a couple of weeks ago. Maybe the cops have given up.
If you really pay attention to how many cars do not have it, it's pretty outrageous that they haven't gotten rid of it. It's a really stupid law to begin with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nrc

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
One thing that helped in Ohio is that every bordering state requires only one plate. That meant that there were a lot of cars running around without a front plate. I used to count how many cars would go by the other way before I'd see one without a front plate and it was almost never more than seven. This is in the middle of the state.

I quit running a front plate ten years ago. I always figured that I'd put one on if I got a couple of tickets. No state tickets ($85) in that time although I did get a couple of city parking tickets ($20).

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
I see Ontario has also is dropping the front plate. It's required in BC and would be surprised to see it change here. I have a Sho N Sto on my Bullitt, but the plate sits on the floor behind the front passenger seat. only used it when I first got it.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
New Brunswick is debating losing the front plate right now. Could go either way. They're also talking about changing or getting rid of annual inspections.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I've not run a front plate on my car in Ohio for the last 8 years or so. Only got a comment once from an officer about it at a stoplight who was next to me. I've even gotten pulled over a few times and I was never bothered about it. I am so so happy I won't be illegal anymore come next year! I just got my Mustang in January and there is no way I will put holes in it.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Missouri needs to join the crowd and drop the front plate. I used to run without it, never got a ticket for it but I was stopped a few times because of it. I don't know, they call it a primary offense or something like that? Its def enforced in my AO. But the last time with the Mustang it seemed to just be an excuse to stop a guy and look for other things, like testing my tint, which was completely legal at 35%. So the Camaro...I just put it on and cringed when I did it. I don't need the man hassling me over a plate, old age made me a little less willing to put up cringing when I pass a cop and the lights come on knowing thats what it's about.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Never had front plates here that I know of. What a waste of resources.

familyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ruby Red
I'm happy for you Ohio residents. As a resident of one of those neighboring states that do not require a front plate, Michigan, I always felt bad for you guys in Ohio.

Some fool politician in Detroit tried to start a drive to require front plates a few years ago, luckily it didn't get any support.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
With some ride share crimes that have been in the news very recently the lack of a front plate or the requirement for one in those states has come up...:lipssealed:

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I have lived in California and Ohio both requiring two plates. Never ran a front plate on 95% of my cars in either state. Glad that they are finally doing away with this. And yes my vanity in having a "sleek" appearance as a car lover has much to do with it.

I love the argument for keeping it with regard to "safety" in that lobbyist link. Cars on the side of the road broke down with their front end facing you will be left of center 99%. If not they are illegally parked or spun out. ON divided highways this has even less concern with medians in play. Further more you should never be left of center anyway, so who gives a crap if you can see the car on that side of the road broke down? If you are on a side street with parking allowed in both directions and you can't see the cars on the opposite side of the street then once again you are likely texting or driving to fast to begin with on that side street. With most cars today running high intensity head lamps, every little reflective marker light on a car glows like radioactive waste anyway. The only person with concern for a car sitting broke down left of center would be the dickhead texting while driving.

With camera recognition technology today on police cruisers its way too easy to obtain a plate even in a one plate state.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I'd rather pay the ticket than put one on my Mustang.
Have not been harassed in 12 years though. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Sponsored