Sponsored

Oh snap! Ford performance track showdown!

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
You tell me. So many have made the argument of the GT is almost GT350 and that the performance gap was small. Let's just say that if the GT in use is not a PP, I highly doubt that it would close 10+ second gap ; )
I am guessing that video was crafted to create a narrative and a nice even spacing between cars. I would guess some of the cars are much closer than shown and some are much further away.

I will say there is a local GT that I could not keep up with last year. He had slicks and I was on streets though. That being said I gained 10 seconds on the same track so in the end its really more driver than car at our level.

Cool video but the numbers do not mean much.

Last edited:

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Cool little fun video. I saw it when I fired up my company computer in the office this morning. It's the first thing that pops up on Ford's intraweb home page today.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Yes, I thought they did actually touch.

If the Mustang GT hadn't nudged the GT350R off the track at the last bend, I'm sure the GT350R's lap time would have been even better, by at at least a few tenths, maybe more...
I imagine the times were set individually, which helped determine the spacing for the start of the final race.

Would love to see a full lap of each car on its own.

-T

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I imagine the times were set individually, which helped determine the spacing for the start of the final race.

Would love to see a full lap of each car on its own.

-T
I suspect they set the spacing to fit the times they wanted. :D

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The gaps did seem somewhat exaggerated, but I would expect the order to fall exactly how it did given equal drivers etc, no?

OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I am guessing that video was crafted to create a narrative and a nice even spacing between cars. I would guess some of the cars are much closer than shown and some are much further away.

I will say there is a local GT that I could not keep up with last year. He had slicks and I was on streets though. That being said I gained 10 seconds on the same track so in the end its really more driver than car at our level.

Cool video but the numbers do not mean much.
Turns out the Mustang GT is a PP1 car as it is a European car. I am pretty certain that a Ford GT is 7+ seconds faster than an R. The number may not mean much but it is certain a Mustang with PP is not even close to a GT350R in a pros hands. However, on the track, my personal experience in my run groups along with a two GT3's, we are pretty evenly matched. Many mustangs new an old run and they are not even close. C7's with slicks are pretty quick. I'm still running SC2's. I'd say it is all relative and in my group level the R is one of the fastest cars in the group. Did you read the article I shared where the 18 Mustang GT PP went up against the SS 1LE? It got STOMPED!!!! The SS1lE is close in performance to the GT350 and 2 or so seconds slower than an R.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
The gaps did seem somewhat exaggerated, but I would expect the order to fall exactly how it did given equal drivers etc, no?
The video showing the finish is consistent with the gaps in start times. The GT350R started 8 seconds before the Ford GT and the R's finish time was little over 7 seconds slower.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I'm sure they did.

This is far from the first time Fords have been staged in such a race. Here's one from over 30 years ago (disregard the 2012 in the title, it's when these Japanese guys subtitled the old video, not the actual date of the race).

Niki Lauda - Mclaren Ford Corsworth F1 race car vs John Watson - Porsche 928 vs James Hunt - Ford Sierra.

[ame]

Sponsored
OP
OP
Zitrosounds

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)