Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

steven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt black
Found this rendering by Kris Horton. Wow, just wow! :headbang:

mustang2018_krishorton.jpg
would be awesome if they could make some aftermarket head lights like this with no housing just the raw projector and tribar leds and keep it water proof...looks so much meaner
Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
The rendering seems to be wider and the front is not curved towards inside which makes it closer to a gt350 look.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Ford's Mustang Motto - "Fast Affordable & Fun", well Fords got at least two out of three or maybe just one if you ask the guy in the Hellcat, Corvette or Camaro SS.
This may have been true back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's but heck Mustangs have gained some weight (also some HP / TQ) and the price keeps going up.

I picked up a fully loaded Mustang GT Premium back in 2005 for 30k, that will get you a base GT these days. Ford isn't concerned about jacking the price now because the Mustang is a world wide sports car. Honestly I hope it does not go too far in terms of pricing - because before you know it we will be in corvette territory and thats why am not driving one of those animals. :lol:

P.S Just kidding about the corvette comment - always a Ford Fan.

Edit..I see several have already pointed this out.

:ford:
Just for the record..remember inflation...30k in 2005 is 38k in today's dollars.

KrisHorton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer Sport
Hey everyone,

Glad you dig my '18 renderings! So, a little background on the model for those who have been trying to figure it out:

I built this 3D model off of a 15-17 model that was CAD-accurate based on data I got through my connections at Shelby and Ford. Being that this was modeled in mid-January, there are definitely a few inaccuracies in my model as I had to eyeball it based on limited photos from the unveiling and press releases. It's definitely not 100% accurate, but as Ace was kind enough to say, it's probably a solid 90%. I took care to get it as accurate as possible and had some of my industry friends advise on it to catch anything I may have missed along the way but I'll definitely be doing a refresh once I've got access to data for the '18+.

As for the mods on the "clay" model that was posted, all I did was lower it a bit and space out the wheels. Ditching the headlight lenses was to show off the modeling of the headlights, which are pretty detailed. I think automakers are making their lights more and more complicated just to make 3D modelers such as myself's lives more difficult. :frusty:

I've done a handful of different designs based on the '18 so far, but unfortunately they'll remain under wraps for a while due to NDA/embargo type stuff. I do think you will dig what I've helped cook up though and will definitely post up once they can be made public. :cheers:

Oh, and lastly, the blue car isn't really my take on a GT350/GT500, it was just prompted by GM's release of the ZL1 1LE. Can't let them have all the fun with their crazy aero parts, right? It's definitely on the bonkers side, so hopefully I didn't offend anyone lol.

KH

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Welcome to Mustang6g, Kris!

I'm a long-time fan of your work, and can't wait to see the embargoed '18 work you've done :cheers:

tlondon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt #0083
All in all still a great job Kris, if you don't mind me asking what program did you use to build your model?

KrisHorton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer Sport
I'm definitely excited to share that stuff. I think anyone that isn't a fan of the '18 yet, or is still uncertain will probably come around once there are some customized ones unveiled at SEMA this year. I always try to avoid judging a car when it's first released because seriously, who leaves their car stock?

KrisHorton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer Sport
All in all still a great job Kris, if you don't mind me asking what program did you use to build your model?
I generally use Softimage, which, in recent history was acquired by Autodesk and subsequently discontinued, so yeah... :doh:. It still serves me well though and I can model cars very quickly in it, so I don't mind being a bit of a dinosaur. ;)

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Nice job Kris! I would probably like the nose better if the lower grill opening had the same mesh as the main grill. It looks too disjointed. Can someone photoshop it that way please?

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Nice to hear you found your way to the forum Kris. Very good work :cheers:
I tried to make the upper grille match the real 2018 a bit more by making it a bit wider and editing the edges a bit :)

Do you have renderings of the rear end too?

For comparison the original rendering above:
rendering_colored_corrected.jpg

KrisHorton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer Sport
Nice to hear you found your way to the forum Kris. Very good work :cheers:
I tried to make the upper grille match the real 2018 a bit more by making it a bit wider and editing the edges a bit :)

Do you have renderings of the rear end too?

For comparison the original rendering above:
Ace, I don't have any sharable renderings of the rear handy, but could do a clay version when I have a sec!

BTW, where in Germany are you? I have family in Wurzburg, Heidelberg, and Wertheim.:cheers:

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Found this rendering by Kris Horton. Wow, just wow! :headbang:

mustang2018_krishorton.jpg
I'd buy that one, thats the one they should be making!!! :hail:

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Rendering looks mean. But in real pictures something is lost in translation. Like the mustang took a xanax irl imo.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Darth Vader

Rendering looks mean. But in real pictures something is lost in translation. Like the mustang took a xanax irl imo.
Or thats at least what they keep telling us. Am a Star Wars fan and I am sorry I don't see the resemblance. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sponsored