Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
PistonHeads gave a pretty scathing review on the 10 speed in the F150

https://www.pistonheads.com/road-tests/ford/ford-f-150-raptor-supercrew-driven/36705

Hope this does not translate to the mustang and they nail the programming of it!
From the article:
The 10-speed gearbox is the powertrain's weak link, and proof that nothing really needs so many ratios. Changes are lazy and there are pauses that can be measured in spoken "Mississippis" when you press the throttle into kickdown territory. Sport mode doesn't improve matters to any noticeable degree, although it introduces a jarring bump into upshifts for no obvious reason. The manual mode is equally sluggish, the 'box seems incapable of delivering more than one downshift at a time, and you have to pause between each one. In short, it's a waste of the nice-feeling metal paddles behind the steering wheel.
That sounds just like driving a dual clutch transmission. I know that the 10spd is a slush box, but if Ford is trying to imitate DSG/DCT boxes, they might be on to something :D

The problem with having so many gears (or a DSG setup for that matter) is that the computer struggles to predict the intentions of the driver. With a traditional 6spd auto, the options are simple - from a given gear (let's say 3rd), I'm either going up to 4th or down to 2nd. When the shift is made, it will take the same amount of time, every time, because it can only go up or down to that next gear (in rare cases, it may skip a gear).

A 10spd or dual clutch is completely different, because the computer is trying to improve fuel economy while improving performance at the same time - it rarely works perfectly. If you launch the car in a straight line with constant acceleration, the outcome is glorious - quick shifts all the way while holding the power band the entire time.

If you throw the computer a curve ball (accelerating hard while slowing to a stop, accelerating while immediately coming from a stop, asking for power after the computer went into eco mode and up shifted 4 gears at once) and you end up with a painfully awkward driving experience. Throw in hill-hold assist, and the awkwardness can turn downright dangerous. Inclined entrances to roundabouts with a DSG can result in many close calls.

As a result, whether it's a 10spd auto or dual clutch, you learn to drive differently. The computer is relying on your inputs for a smooth driving experience, and you end up becoming very deliberate in how and when you press the brake / throttle.

So yeah - if someone were to jump behind the wheel of a 10spd auto for the first time (like this Raptor driver likely did), they're going to have a not so great experience - especially if you're pushing the car in many full throttle / hard brake scenarios.

Had he simply done a bunch of drag pulls, he would have likely given a 5-star review.

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
From the article:

That sounds just like driving a dual clutch transmission. I know that the 10spd is a slush box, but if Ford is trying to imitate DSG/DCT boxes, they might be on to something :D

The problem with having so many gears (or a DSG setup for that matter) is that the computer struggles to predict the intentions of the driver. With a traditional 6spd auto, the options are simple - from a given gear (let's say 3rd), I'm either going up to 4th or down to 2nd. When the shift is made, it will take the same amount of time, every time, because it can only go up or down to that next gear (in rare cases, it may skip a gear).

A 10spd or dual clutch is completely different, because the computer is trying to improve fuel economy while improving performance at the same time - it rarely works perfectly. If you launch the car in a straight line with constant acceleration, the outcome is glorious - quick shifts all the way while holding the power band the entire time.

If you throw the computer a curve ball (accelerating hard while slowing to a stop, accelerating while immediately coming from a stop, asking for power after the computer went into eco mode and up shifted 4 gears at once) and you end up with a painfully awkward driving experience. Throw in hill-hold assist, and the awkwardness can turn downright dangerous. Inclined entrances to roundabouts with a DSG can result in many close calls.

As a result, whether it's a 10spd auto or dual clutch, you learn to drive differently. The computer is relying on your inputs for a smooth driving experience, and as a result you become very deliberate in how an when you press the brake / throttle.

So yeah - if someone were to jump behind the wheel of a 10spd auto for the first time (like this Raptor driver likely did), they're going to have a not so great experience - especially if you're pushing the car in many full throttle / hard brake scenarios.

Had he simply done a bunch of drag pulls, he would have likely wrote a 5-star review.

Could be onto something and we know the 10-speed will learn, if this is a press car its probably so confused it has no idea what is going on. :D

For me as long as the car on the paddles is fast and responsive I shall be happy. In auto I do not mind if its slow when just cruising, well as long as it does not become jerky or annoying.

I drive my auto cars on the paddles, this is something BMW in the M cars absolutely own other brands at, they have it spot on.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Them ZF automatics are the absolute benchmark in transmission technology.
They are also very good, but from a sporty and speed response nature on the paddles PDK and M-DCT is pretty much the benchmark. The regular BMW range tends to use the ZF 8-speed which like you say is excellent, I just prefer the additional attack and the insane blips you get with M-DCT. :)

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
This C&D Raptor road test indicates that in "Baja Mode" the 10A does rather well, at least with upshifts and with holding gears. http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150-raptor.

We locked the terrain-response system in Baja mode, which relaxes the traction- and stability-control systems, puts the vehicle in four-wheel drive high, and commands the transmission to upshift as infrequently as possible (but to do so very quickly when it does).

and

In Baja mode or the similar Mud/Sand mode (which locks the rear differential), the truck resolutely refused to upshift. Instead, it just ran the engine near redline, goading us.
As an autocrosser who has been frustrated by the manual transmission's "too short" second gear the 10A's third gear will be perfect most of the time and similar to Camaro and BMW manual gearing. As long as I can manually shift up "quickly" and go back to second from 3rd reliably while braking/cornering in really slow corners I'll be happy.

On the street I'm assuming the 10A will be as civilized as the 4 speed auto in our 97 GT and the 6 speed auto in the 2012 GT which I traded for the 15.

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Another video with the new exhaust (different angle and drive-away):

At idle it sounds like a cat purring. Under acceleration it remonds me of the Voodoo 5.2...

J

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
PistonHeads gave a pretty scathing review on the 10 speed in the F150

https://www.pistonheads.com/road-tests/ford/ford-f-150-raptor-supercrew-driven/36705

Hope this does not translate to the mustang and they nail the programming of it!
I genuinely love the British, but they don't have the capacity to understand American trucks.

That article is dogshit. The 2017 Raptor is pretty damn awesome, and I say that as the daily driver of a six speed manual Tacoma that would probably be more to the author's liking. The flappy paddles aren't PDK quick but that ten speed is a huge improvement over what came before in the F150.

Also let's not forget that this ten speed has the same bones as the one that's in the Camaro ZL1, and that's gotten good reviews.

Sponsored

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
I've seen a few. To bad the CEL has been on in all 5 that I've seen, running. They have some issues to iron out, so I'm surprised they're letting the public see the cars with a CEL lit up brightly. Needs an H-pipe like the old 13-14's had. Factory x-pipes are weak and raspy sounding. H-pipes are for beef and muscle.

Running a full dual fuel system is going to be a nightmare down the road. DI doe not improve fuel economy. That has been proven over and over. All DI does is reduce fuel to the valves and pistons, creating failure.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THE HOOD ALLIGNMENT
Don't worry, people in this forum say Fords qc is fine :D
But for real, buying a $50k car and getting such messed up alignment is a shame for Ford.