Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The '18 looks more drowsy than sporty IMO. Sporty cars would be like a Porsche 911, this doesn't look like one of them. But I guess people are buying the '18 for the mechanical upgrades which i expect will be impressive. Just have to wait to see what the '18s look like on the road, although the '15 looked impressive from the first photo. It's important Ford get feedback on products both good and bad (not trolling and not fanboys). Hats off to Ford though for still producing a V8 with a stick shift in this day and age, good job on this.
Sponsored

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
That's all great but say they decide to pull the plug on the V8 (doubt it'll happen but you never know) and you held out for the next gen and it didn't have it, i'm going for the 18, one because I want one and want to update my 15 which I've just sold, two it could be the last V8 Mustang, very slim chance I know.
You'd just have to wait longer to find that perfect (for you) example
someone squirreled away. Course if the V-8 really does go away, used
example prices will be through the roof.

The '18 looks more drowsy than sporty IMO.
The more I see the direct comparison, the more I agree.
The aftermarket front bumper manufacturers will be happy very soon though............

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I'm starting to wonder if you're blind. It's so funny how people blindly support this just because it has a mustang logo on it. Obviously looks are subjective, but when you can't even have a common sense conversation on how the lines look off compared to the previous version, than that's just sad :lol:

There is no real defined line coming off of the hood into the top of the bumper, which makes the hood line look weird where it meets the bumper by the headlights. It's way more pronounced on the previous version and even looks way worse in the previous silver picture of the 2018 that was posted, but to each his own. :thumbsup:
Doesn't really matter since looks are completely subjective.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm starting to wonder if you're blind. It's so funny how people blindly support this just because it has a mustang logo on it. Obviously looks are subjective, but when you can't even have a common sense conversation on how the lines look off compared to the previous version, than that's just sad :lol:

There is no real defined line coming off of the hood into the top of the bumper, which makes the hood line look weird where it meets the bumper by the headlights. It's way more pronounced on the previous version and even looks way worse in the previous silver picture of the 2018 that was posted, but to each his own. :thumbsup:
OK, thanks for the confirmation. Welcome to my ignore list, population: you.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
They direct air to create a 'curtain' around the wheels to improve aerodynamics . How much it matters, who knows.
I have to hope that in any such search for aerodynamic drag reduction that brake cooling (for track days) isn't getting thrown under the bus. Would not look favorably on a car that was intentionally designed to sacrifice a use to which I'd put it because of arbitrary regulatory pressures.

Norm

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Wow. The longer we wait for actual facts and figures on this car, the longer we wait for actual driving impressions, the more argumentative and less productive this thread becomes. :D

It almost makes a guy miss the perpetual Camaro bashing.

For one MORE opinion:
Orange Fury is getting better and better looking with each new lighting condition, IMO. Certainly this will be a high commitment kind of a paint choice but it's also probably the choice we'd be most proud of when reminiscing about our 2018 Mustangs 30 years from now.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The '18 looks more drowsy than sporty IMO. Sporty cars would be like a Porsche 911, this doesn't look like one of them.
The Porsche 911 is perhaps the proper shape for a rear engined car, but would be all wrong for FE/RWD.

My take is that almost any evolution away from the tall hood height look that's being forced by European pedestrian impact regulations can't be a bad thing, even if it looks 'droopy'. Different does not mean universally wrong.

And yes, I'd buy for mechanical goodness regardless over a variety of styling details that I myself might quibble with. Would not be the first time.

Norm

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Wow. The longer we wait for actual facts and figures on this car, the longer we wait for actual driving impressions, the more argumentative and less productive this thread becomes. :D

It almost makes a guy miss the perpetual Camaro bashing.

For one MORE opinion:
Orange Fury is getting better and better looking with each new lighting condition, IMO. Certainly this will be a high commitment kind of a paint choice but it's also probably the choice we'd be most proud of when reminiscing about our 2018 Mustangs 30 years from now.
I could not agree more !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

Last edited:

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Do we know of any significant changes in the actual manufacturing process coming up? I've seen articles that suggest that Flat Rock is going to get a big expansion/modernization. I hope that translates to better quality on the '18. There are still some nagging issues that they need to fix (leading edge hood rot, A/C, fit & finish, seat cooling, etc).

Batmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X
[MENTION=10422]Ace[/MENTION]
the two green inner lines on the front are not correct, the angle from the corner to the bottom is in the same parallel direction according to the MY18

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I think what bothers some is this. The standard Ford grill style across many models is a stylized hexagon. For the 15-17 you can see the upper grill is a flattened hexagon and if you extend the lines from the bottom angle they are in line with the lower grill. Essentially if you put the upper and lower grill together it makes one big hexagon with the bumper running through the middle.

With the 18 the outer lines of the lower grill are no longer an extension of the upper grill. Instead they are parallel to (but not in line with) the upper segment of the hexagon. Once you have made that line you automatically make the sharp triangle below the new fog light/turn signal.

I would not rate this as either better or worse, just different.

I like the hood lowering a lot, too bad it isn't even more. It is unfortunate that the pedestrian interface rules are driving front engine/rear drive cars into having high/fat hoods.

Yes, we need some real news.

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Having seen both KB and OF in person, I really think people that have a negative perception towards the design in pictures should keep an open mind until they see it in the flesh, particularly in the darker shades. I honestly didn't like it either when I first saw it in pictures.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
It is unfortunate that the pedestrian interface rules are driving front engine/rear drive cars into having high/fat hoods.
Is that the reason that almost every pickup truck today has a massive grille/front end area?

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Is that the reason that almost every pickup truck today has a massive grille/front end area?
No, I think that is something totally different. Style driven. I have a 2005 F-150 and I was doing some engine work and I found the easiest way to do it was to mostly climb into the engine compartment. There was plenty of room for both me and a V8. And they have only gotten bigger since.

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
is it me or do the wheels look 19's front and 20's back
Sponsored