Not open for further replies.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Nah, it doesn't. Policework isn't that complicated...at lest it shouldn't be.

Lots of examples of non-experts sitting in judgment abound. The jury system comes to mind...regular citizens routinely judge others with little to no experience in a particular field.

Also, not all citizens are as ignorant as you claim and police are not all that special, smart, or particularly well-trained.

It's just such backward thinking to require some sort of police training/exposure for members of a group that will judge police actions. The idea that regular citizens can't possibly understand police misconduct should be a giant warning flag to us all. It's part of the problem.

Imagine a jury hearing a case of criminal police misconduct where all the citizen jurists have been trained at the police academy or have law enforcement experience. Laughable.
Lol, sorry but the vast majority of people are morons. That's why the world is the way it is. Plenty of people out there legitimately think life works like hollywood, and that you can just incapacitate someone by shooting legs or a weapon out of their hand.

At some level you need a reasonable understanding of events to make a judgement on something, that's just common sense. Jurors at least gets some education about how evidence is relevant during a case. I obviously don't think an oversight committee should be entirely of ex law enforcement, but it helps to have someone who can weigh in on WHY an officer may have done something that a common person wouldn't necessarily see. Policework isn't simple, there's so much variety to the job duties and as a result, what situations can arise.

You're free to have your own opinion of course, but I always prefer the balanced approach to oversight.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That is accurate to a point. There are 2 sets of dividers leading into the turn lane. I use the one I always use.
Still working on a excuse that will pass the smell test ? LMAO

See if I have it, the office did not realize that's the lane you always use ?

Wow game changer .................. could be a Judge Judy moment .

Too funny

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of traffic laws and statutes (and corresponding penalties and punishment) are generally covered under criminal law, not civil.
In most states traffic is considered a violation, not criminal. This was done in the 1970's to prevent you from having to go to jail, post bond and appear in front of a criminal court. That's why you have what is called traffic court.

If it is written up as a crime, racing, reckless ect then you go to criminal court.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you doubt what I said above, next time you roll through a stop sign or are popped for speeding, go to court and ask for a jury trial. You will get laughed at.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
If you doubt what I said above, next time you roll through a stop sign or are popped for speeding, go to court and ask for a jury trial. You will get laughed at.
Very true.

Extreme speeders, reckless drivers, and habitual offenders do face jail time however.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You're kinda missing the point. The law gets divided into large categories and traffic is a subdivision of the CRIMINAL law and code. It's not a civil matter, it's between you and the state. And while your example rings true for lesser offenses, like I said, if you fail to make good on those you end up back in....CRIMINAL court.

From the Romans we follow the idea that the law is subdivided into 2 main categories, you against the state (people at large) and you against another person(s) or entity.

There are many subdivisions to each, but generally speaking it falls into the category of CRIMINAL law, not civil or any of civil laws many categories.

The military has similar arrangement called "non judicial punishment" where you can take the ruling/determination of a commander over facing a court martial for minor offenses (at a much reduced maximum penalty). But it still falls under the rules of evidence and criminal code.

There are MANY types of reduced process offenses and citations that get handled without a full jury trial, but they all fall under the umbrella of criminal law.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
There are good cops out there...some are bad...a very few are as special as this one...

The 11 minute mark is great.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
90% of the folks not liking the police are the ass_hats, and the very first ones to call them.

Could not ever pay me enough to put up with the morons they encounter.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
90% of the folks not liking the police are the ass_hats, and the very first ones to call them.

Could not ever pay me enough to put up with the morons they encounter.
Yes but the entertainment of it, at times, is priceless. You don't know what your'e missing. :cwl:

Sponsored

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Just because I want to address any questions a police officer has in a formal statement doesn't mean I don't like or respect police. Just because I chose to be cautious dealing with an entity of the state that can negatively or positively impact me doesn't mean I have some agenda against police.

I think a lot of people are confusing people who chose to handle police interactions differently to the way they would with loud mouth obnoxious assholes who think all police are corrupt and go about their day looking for opportunities to shoot people.

There is a wide spectrum of people and opinions and tarring everyone with the same brush is silly.

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
I have a fun story to share - I used to have no issues with Police until earlier this year. For background - in order for your vehicle registration to be renewed in Texas (or Harris County at least), the vehicle must first pass an inspection and emissions test via OBD2 port within 90 days before the registration expiration date. A CEL will fail the inspection, unless you find a helpful station which is becoming far and few.

My 2011 Mustang that I've been in the process of restoring had some CEL issues within this 90 day window and I resolved the issue about 1 month after the registration expired. So, as I am on the way to the inspection station to get that sorted, a local pig pulls me over because of the expired sticker. To get to me, he pushed his way through about 10 cars of traffic behind me, damn near running those people off the road. Being that this was a very busy road for the area with lots of traffic an no good place to pull over, I put on my hazards, tapped my rearview mirror/gestured that I saw him and was looking for a safer place to pull over. So, about 1/8 - 1/4 of a mile later I find a safe turnoff, pull over, roll my window downturn the car off, put the keys on the dash.

He comes to the window, immediately says I revved my engine at him (I did not...I was in 5th gear going 50mph down this road in a 50mph zone...how does he know it wasn't any of the other traffic he barreled through to get to me) and that since I drew attention to myself, he pulled me over for the expired sticker. He then also says the exhaust is too loud (its the stock, OEM exhaust and I said as much...) and is in violation of city noise ordinance. He then also asked what my problem was and why I did not IMMEDIATLY pull over, to which I said I did not feel safe pulling over in that high traffic area and knew there was a safe turnoff a short distance away. He takes my license, insurance, and returns with a ticket for the expired sticker, "exhaust", and failure to yield to an emergency vehicle (a misdemeanor).

I fully accept and own the expired registration - shit happens and I got caught. But it is also the type of ticket that gets dismissed as long as you show you took care of it.

With regards to the other 2 charges, I look up the fines later and come to find these add up to about $1,500 in charges. I requested a copy of the dash cam evidence thereafter (because I am quite certain there is no evidence to support the charges and if there was, it will prove me innocent), and the Police department immediately filed with the state attorney general to deny my request and withhold the evidence under section 552.108(a)(1). That provision is essentially a bullshit code that allows a Police department to withhold anything and everything they choose , and reads as follows:

"(a) Information held by a law enforcement agency or prosecutor that deals with the detection, investigation, or prosecution of crime is excepted from the requirements of Section 552.021 if:

(1) release of the information would interfere with the detection, investigation, or prosecution of crime;"

I believe this pig tacked on those charges to ensure money came to the department out of the citation. I have since lawyered up, and I now have my own dash camera in every vehicle. I do not trust these fuc!ers anymore and probably will not for quite some time, if ever again. Hate to say it but I think quality law enforcement is a thing of the past - it is now just run as a business of self righteous egos.

As a side note, I'll also say that I was pulled over by these idiots not once, not twice, not three times, but FIVE times earlier this year when I had paper plates on the 2021 M1 and 20 GT500, and they saw from their review mirror when I was behind them that I did not have a front plate (texas requires them but not if you have paper plates/new). I never got a ticket for obvious reasons, but it is truly insane how hard they are looking for money from small deal citations.

Last edited:

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Just because I want to address any questions a police officer has in a formal statement doesn't mean I don't like or respect police. Just because I chose to be cautious dealing with an entity of the state that can negatively or positively impact me doesn't mean I have some agenda against police.

I think a lot of people are confusing people who chose to handle police interactions differently to the way they would with loud mouth obnoxious assholes who think all police are corrupt and go about their day looking for opportunities to shoot people.

There is a wide spectrum of people and opinions and tarring everyone with the same brush is silly.
I have told more than one friend, if you have an incident occur that may land yourself in jail such as shooting someone who broke into your house, then politely inform the police that you will not answer any questions without a lawyer present. That is sound advice.

Now, invoking the same right when asked about a SIMPLE traffic crash is just moronic. HOWEVER, if you are drunk and hit another car then you have to make your own mind up. Most competent officers will have plenty of testimony for the court whether you speak or not.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
I have a fun story to share - I used to have no issues with Police until earlier this year. For background - in order for your vehicle registration to be renewed in Texas (or Harris County at least), the vehicle must first pass an inspection and emissions test via OBD2 port within 90 days before the registration expiration date. A CEL will fail the inspection, unless you find a helpful station which is becoming far and few.

My 2011 Mustang that I've been in the process of restoring had some CEL issues within this 90 day window and I resolved the issue about 1 month after the registration expired. So, as I am on the way to the inspection station to get that sorted, a local pig pulls me over because of the expired sticker. To get to me, he pushed his way through about 10 cars of traffic behind me, damn near running those people off the road. Being that this was a very busy road for the area with lots of traffic an no good place to pull over, I put on my hazards, tapped my rearview mirror/gestured that I saw him and was looking for a safer place to pull over. So, about 1/8 - 1/4 of a mile later I find a safe turnoff, pull over, roll my window downturn the car off, put the keys on the dash.

He comes to the window, immediately says I revved my engine at him (I did not...I was in 5th gear going 50mph down this road in a 50mph zone...how does he know it wasn't any of the other traffic he barreled through to get to me) and that since I drew attention to myself, he pulled me over for the expired sticker. He then also says the exhaust is too loud (its the stock, OEM exhaust and I said as much...) and is in violation of city noise ordinance. He then also asked what my problem was and why I did not IMMEDIATLY pull over, to which I said I did not feel safe pulling over in that high traffic area and knew there was a safe turnoff a short distance away. He takes my license, insurance, and returns with a ticket for the expired sticker, "exhaust", and failure to yield to an emergency vehicle (a misdemeanor).

I fully accept and own the expired registration - shit happens and I got caught. But it is also the type of ticket that gets dismissed as long as you show you took care of it.

With regards to the other 2 charges, I look up the fines later and come to find these add up to about $1,500 in charges. I requested a copy of the dash cam evidence thereafter (because I am quite certain there is no evidence to support the charges and if there was, it will prove me innocent), and the Police department immediately filed with the state attorney general to deny my request and withhold the evidence under section 552.108(a)(1). That provision is essentially a bullshit code that allows a Police department to withhold anything and everything they chose , and reads as follows:

"(a) Information held by a law enforcement agency or prosecutor that deals with the detection, investigation, or prosecution of crime is excepted from the requirements of Section 552.021 if:

(1) release of the information would interfere with the detection, investigation, or prosecution of crime;"

I believe this pig tacked on those charges to ensure money came to the department out of the citation. I have since lawyered up, and I now have my own dash camera in every vehicle. I do not trust these fuc!ers anymore and probably will not for quite some time, if ever again. Hate to say it but I think quality law enforcement is a thing of the past - it is now just run as a business of self righteous egos.

As a side note, I'll also say they I was pulled over by these idiots not once, not twice, not three times, but FIVE times earlier this year when I had paper plates on the 2021 M1 and 20 GT500, and they saw from their review mirror when I was behind them that I did not have a front plate (texas requires them but not if you have paper plates/new). I never got a ticket for obvious reasons, but it is truly insane how hard they are looking for money from small deal citations.
Classic contempt of Cop BS…but I would caution placing ALL the “pigs” into the same category. I do not think any group enjoys that mindset.

They have to get behind you to stop you, why would they stop you once seeing the paper tags?

Wow, six stops in one year. That’s quite an anomaly. Is there a Paul Harvey moment waiting? Sounds like incredibly bad juju.

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
Classic contempt of Cop BS…but I would caution placing ALL the “pigs” into the same category. I do not think any group enjoys that mindset.

They have to get behind you to stop you, why would they stop you once seeing the paper tags?
You are probobly correct regarding the pigs comment...Ive literally never been so worked up over something so Its gonna take time to get over it.

With regards to why pulling over with paper plates - I truly have no idea. The only thing I can think of is fake paper plates have been a rampant issue in this area or they just wanted to see what I was up to otherwise.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.