OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
After going through this entire sticky spoiler thread and doing other research, I decided the MMD by Foose rear spoiler was the one for my 2016 Race Red GT. Not too big, not too small but a nice visual touch. Going to get it in gloss black, pre-painted by American Muscle, covers all the holes from the OEM spoiler. Perfect.

Unfortunately it turned out there were a few problems with this decision:

1. It is currently out of stock at AM.
2. It is a discontinued item, i.e. permanently out of stock.
3. AM no longer paints them so even if they had any, I'd still have to pay extra to get it painted.

Oh well, life moves on. Maybe I'll try just painting the OEM one on there now gloss black and see how it looks.
Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
The RTR diffuser from American Muscle went on without too much trouble today.

And I shipped back the scratched new decklid panel I got as part of the same order from American Muscle. The replacement is supposed to ship out today. I hope they at least look at this one before they stick it in the box, and I really hope they wrap it in bubble wrap instead of just sticking a tube of paper below and on top of the panel. It does nothing to prevent the panel from moving around inside the box and does nothing to prevent scratches during shipping. The RTR diffuser was well wrapped in bubble wrap and it has a much more durable surface than the decklid panel yet the decklid panel was not properly protected. We'll see. If this one shows up packed like the first one and scratched up like it too, that'll be it for me continuing with them at least for anything body-related or in the least bit delicate.

Before:

Original.jpg

After:

RTR.jpg
Looks great! Glad to see it coming along!

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Found a nice surprise in today's mail. I wasn't expecting it to arrive until Saturday. Guess what I'm doing this Saturday? I mean, at least I will be after finishing the next certification level at the range in the morning. I'm eager to see how this touch-up turns out.

1716504920704-2g.png

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today was finally going to be the day when I got the second key fob programmed and the backup key cut in both the one key fob I received from "Mint" Auto Sales in Orlando, Florida and also in the new key fob I had to buy myself.

Appointment is at 10 AM, it's about 20 minutes to the Ford dealership, leaving at 9:30 AM should give plenty of time. Out I go to the detached garage and fire up Oliver. Uh-oh, TPMS light is on and left rear is showing just 15 pounds of pressure. I investigate a bit and see a nail sticking in the tire. I am/was planning on replacing all four tires later this year because the rears are worn out and the fronts are new ones installed by the aforementioned "Mint" but about as crap quality as you can get. I inflated the tire and headed out, figuring I'd keep an eye on the pressure and hope for the best. Thankfully I had no problems with the tire making it there and back.

However, the actual appointment was not so great. Since the manual key that is in the one working key fob I do have has never been cut, the dealership has to do some extra steps to pull data from some Ford system somewhere that gives the pattern to cut. Unfortunately, the only two folks that have access to or know how to do that (not sure which was the case) are both off today taking a long weekend. I can't fault them for that, I'm doing the same thing today.

Then it was on to programming the new key fob itself. Another 15 minutes went by and the service advisor got me from the lounge to give me an update. Seems they can't program the second key fob either because access to I think it was an IDS module was locked/blocked so their computers can't access it. They asked if I have a tune installed and said yes, that when I bought the car I was surprised by an E85 tune and no tuner so Lund created a 91 octane tune for me so I could get the car running. I have never had a stock tune for this because when I installed the 91 tune from Lund, it was replacing the E85 tune. All the gory details of this fiasco are earlier in this thread. The service advisor said that their hands are tied until the computers/modules are unlocked so they can program the second key fob.

Next step is to ping Lund to see what they suggest. The car should run fine on a stock tune because the only significant mods left on it are the long tube headers and hi-flow cats. Hopefully I can temporarily unlink the Lund tune, get the key fob programmed, then re-apply the Lund tune.

None of the above is the fault of the dealership. It's just part of life with the bundle of race red joy. It's a perfect car ownership experience if you're in to that type of masochism.

1716571824986-7a.png

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent some time messaging with Lund Racing trying to sort out what I have to do to get a key fob programmed. A phone call would have been much easier but all I could get was messaging. Still, beats nothing. I think they are genuinely trying to be helpful but my lack of experience with the capabilities of tunes and some risks they can present isn't making it easier. The fact that I do not have a stock tune on the tuner really turns up the PITA dial.

All I want, what I really, really want, is a backup key fob programmed without all of the BS surrounding this endeavor.

Here's how it went (bold italics are Lund's replies).

Last year I bought a 2016 Mustang GT from a used car dealer. The first issue was that they did not inform me the car had an E85 tune nor did they include the tuner. I was trying to run it on 87 octane like my other stock 2016 GT and that didn't work very well at all. I removed as much garbage stuff from the engine as I could and all that remains is the BBK long tube headers and high-flow catted downpipes. I then bought the HP Tuners RTD+ with 2015-2017 Mustang GT Custom Tune (91 octane tune) from you and it's been running well on that.

When the car was shipped to me, they only included one key fob and never sent the promised second one. I ended up having to buy a new second one myself and tried to get it programmed at the Ford dealership near me today. They tried but said they are unable to program the new key fob because either access to something is blocked or encrypted. They think it is probably the Lund tune and that I need to remove the tune which should unlock/decrypt it before they can program the key fob. Another problem is that I don't have a stock tune to install on it for them to do this, all I have is the 91 Lund tune. I am not going to try to run an E85 tune on it again.

What steps do I need to take with the Lund tune to allow the Ford dealership to program the key fob? I will be re-installing the same 91 octane Lund tune right after the key fob has been programmed. I don't want to have to fork out another $700 to buy another tuner and stock tune.

All you need to do is flash the stock tune onto this by going into TDN and holding down onto the restore file then selecting full write. Once the car is on the stock tune ford can read it all and program the key, then you can flash the tune back on.

My apologies if this sounds dumb. I am very new to using this type of tuner and am trying not to make things worse.. e.g. when you're in a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging.

Where/how do I get the stock tune? When I bought the car, it had an E85 tune and no tuner. So what I think is, is that the restore file I have on the Lund tuner is actually the E85 tune that was on the car when I bought it, and not a stock tune at all. And the tuner and tune I bought from you folks is your 91/93 tune, which is working well.

Then once I can source a stock tune and get it on my tuner, when I push that to the Mustang it will unlock the computer Ford is complaining about so I can get the key fob created, then push the 91/93 tune to the Mustang again?

If this stock file you sent us isn't a stock file. The best bet since Ford is going to be programming a key. They can flash a stock tune with the IDS system at the same time. It takes 15 minutes at most of their time.

I wonder if they (Ford) will know how to flash their stock tune with the IDS system when apparently something is locking them out of being able to connect using the IDS system.

I'm going to search for a simple point-by-point set of steps they/I need to do because on one side I'm being told to have Ford write their stock tune to the Mustang with IDS and on the other side I'm being told they can't use IDS because the existing Lund tune prevents them from being able to connect. Unless somewhere before that I remove the Lund 91/83 tune using the tuner I bought from you (which leave no tune on the car at all???) which then allows Ford to push their stock tune using IDS which then lets them program the key fob and then save the factory tune that Ford just installed for future use and I can re-push the Lund 91/93 tune to the Mustang.

Yessir they can force flash the pcm to cover it with a stock calibration with the as built data.

Well, I'll try Ford again next week and tell them that Lund tunes do not encrypt anything nor do anything that should prevent Ford from being able to program a key fob.

Key steps to take:

1. Ford techs force flash the PCM to cover it with a stock calibration with the as built data. This should remove whatever was preventing them from being able to access IDS or anything else.

2. Then they program the new key fob.

3. Then I copy the stock calibration into the tuner as a backup.

4. Then I push my original Lund 91/93 tune to the Mustang and I should be all set.

Wish me luck.

Correct you'll then do a read once they force a stock file onto the car. We encrypt our files. But their IDS system will force a stock file to the car regardless. A Ford tech should know how to do this. After that's all complete you'll be able to re-flash your existing tune file.

I have a feeling I know how this is going to turn out and that I won't like the result at all. How many things can be bricked by one failed attempt to program a key fob. Place your bets? And remember, this is Oliver after all!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The replacement decklid panel arrived from American Muscle and I am pleased to see that this one is great. I don't know why AM tried to pawn off the previously-installed and damaged decklid panel packed in an oversize box with two pieces of paper to protect it on me, but it was a waste of their time and reputation and my time.

Here's how the first one was packaged and what it looked like on arrival:

00.jpg

01.jpg

And here's how the replacement was shipped in the original MP Concepts box and packaging:

a.jpg

b.jpg

Now to decide if I leave it as is or affix some type of emblem. Which involves making a template and drilling into the pristine surface... I think I like the clean look, much safer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are able to make stock tunes for your vehicle just by having your vin.

Load the stock tune.

Let the dealership do the key programming and load back your tune.
I am taking this good sir up on this offer and will be sealing the deal with him at the beginning of the week.

Now hopefully having both the factory tune created by Wengerd uploaded to my HP Tuners TDN account along with the 91 octane tune Lund uploaded there when I bought the RTD+ tuner and tune from them last October will give me what I need to be able to a) replace the existing 91 Lund tune with the stock Wengerd tune, then b) get the key fob programmed by Ford, then c) push the 91 octane Lund tune back to the Mustang.

And not end up with something bricked in the process. And with the tire with the nail in it either temporarily patched or retaining air long enough to make the return trip to the dealer. Time to roll them bones and see some boxcars. Note that I did have to Google that to see if double-sixes is generally considered a good thing to roll.

With any luck at all, within a week I will have the spare key fob programmed and will also have been able to get both blank keys cut after proving to the dealership that this handsome problem child called Oliver is really my Mustang. Certainly can't blame the dealership for being cautious about this.

And I do find myself wondering if I should replace the Lund 91 octane tune with one done by Wengerd. The car is running okay now except for some odd 1-2 upshifts but maybe that's just how this transmission is. Who knows. But I do need to address the tire problem so that should be my priority for now, I reckon.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Honestly I'd dump the Lund tune.

They couldn't be bothered with giving you a stock tune but this other company does.....

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly I'd dump the Lund tune.

They couldn't be bothered with giving you a stock tune but this other company does.....
Well, selling me a stock tune is a more accurate way of stating what Wengerd is doing and I have no problem with that at all. I'm just happy they even have the ability to do that for me and save me the fun of having the dealership techs try to force a tune probably never having done it before.

I'd definitely love to ditch the Lund tune and buy both the stock tune and 91 octane tune from Wengerd now but that's not in the budget for the foreseeable future. Other things like new tires, getting a working backup key fob, fixing some cosmetic issues are up first.

Of course I did just win $4 in the PowerBall lottery so my budget is growing. 💲💲💲💲

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Lund is able to do it too, they just refuse to help people.

Wengerd Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wengerdperformance.com
First Name
Derel
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Whipple 15 Mustang GT TT 18 F150 VMP ODIN
Well, selling me a stock tune is a more accurate way of stating what Wengerd is doing and I have no problem with that at all. I'm just happy they even have the ability to do that for me and save me the fun of having the dealership techs try to force a tune probably never having done it before.

I'd definitely love to ditch the Lund tune and buy both the stock tune and 91 octane tune from Wengerd now but that's not in the budget for the foreseeable future. Other things like new tires, getting a working backup key fob, fixing some cosmetic issues are up first.

Of course I did just win $4 in the PowerBall lottery so my budget is growing. 💲💲💲💲
Don't even worry about paying.

We will do it for free.

Use that money elsewhere on your build.

Link to us on tdn and we will add it.

JGXF-9175

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Yup, just as I expected, the Ford dealership that sold the car to the previous owner can't help me out. They said they can't give out that kind of information. I said I am not asking them to give me the person's contact information. I am asking them to call that person and give them my name and number and leave it up to that person do decide if they will call me. Oh well.
It sounds like the previous owner may have sold the car because of multiple problems. If that’s true do you really think he would want to get involved with it again?

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like the previous owner may have sold the car because of multiple problems. If that’s true do you really think he would want to get involved with it again?
No, probably not.

Of all the things with this car, I'd really, really love to know how the cold air nozzle (if that's what it is) ended up on top of the valves for cylinder number three. That's not exactly what one expects to see upon removing the intake manifold.

1716822991397-n9.png

1716823152051-tu.png

I continue to find small things that make me wonder. Like why did the previous owner cut out a small section at the bottom front of the fender liner on the passenger side (red area)? Dunno.

And despite CarFax saying it's an accident-free car (which more-so means insurance-claim free or damage not professionally repaired), I know it had at least one reasonably minor adventure at the front end. A few small brackets are broken including at the back of the passenger side fog lamp retainer that doubles as a fender liner mounting point (blue area). Maybe the red area was a result of addressing front end damage too. Who knows. And I don't think the headlights are OEM either. And wow are OEM replacements pricey! The ones on there now are just fine. I rarely drive it at night and I picked up a Sylvania headlight restore kit to polish them up a bit.

1716822568645-51.png

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't even worry about paying.

We will do it for free.

Use that money elsewhere on your build.

Link to us on tdn and we will add it.

JGXF-9175
My experience with this Mustang has really shown me way too clearly the shitty side of humanity. Your very kind gesture may sound small to some, but it's massive to me. So many kind folks on this forum have gone above and beyond helping me sort things out, answering questions, offering advice, etc. I am very grateful to the whole lot of you!
Sponsored