Odd whistling under load + rough hot starts

twistedoctane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Metallic GT Auto
Lately, when my car is under load, specifically around 2k-5k RPM, I get a whistling sound coming from my engine bay. I believe this is a vacuum leak, and am struggling to determine what is causing the leak. It is very intermittent and depends on how much throttle the engine gets. I am also noticing that my car really struggles to start after stopping to refuel, or whenever the car is warm in general.

I believe my issue may be a bad evap purge valve/ purge valve vacuum hose, but was curious if anyone else had experienced such issues? Any tips for troubleshooting? Thanks!!
Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I hear a whole string noise as well. I dismissed as it as “normal” from my PMAS but not sure...

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Anyone

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I hear a whole string noise as well. I dismissed as it as “normal” from my PMAS but not sure...
Same here. I really hear it now that I have the JLT. Pretty sure it is normal. If it were a vacuum leak, you would hear it more with more throttle. This whistle only happens in a specific rpm range under partial load.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I doubt this has to do with starting issues. Mine starts just fine and I can hear the same sound.

Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Are you tuned? I have no issue but I do hear a high pitched whistle noise as well at high rpm, in particular I think off throttle.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Check your purge valve operation. Pull the vac hose off when warm and put your finger over the hole while idling. There should be some vacuum. Now pull the electrical connector off it. The vacuum should stop. Re attach the electrical connector. When you refit the vac hose make sure you do it running and warm but with the fans off. Listen closely for a vac leak from the connector, and if you are a smoker try holding a lit cigarette just next to the vac connector.

My vac connector leaks like hell and I had to wrap the pipe with tape then put the connector on to get a good seal.

OP
OP
twistedoctane

twistedoctane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Metallic GT Auto
Are you tuned? I have no issue but I do hear a high pitched whistle noise as well at high rpm, in particular I think off throttle.
Yessir I'm tuned. After some research/this thread, I'm convinced the whistling is from my JLT CAI.
Sponsored