Sponsored

Odd Vibration

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
I had my Ecoboost engine replaced at about 75 thousand miles. While the car was in, I had all the fluids changed. When I got it back, the 6sp manual transmission made much more noise under normal conditions, didn't shift well at high rpm and had an occasional vibration on decel after high rpm shifts. If I pop the clutch quickly while getting the vibration, it most often goes away. The trans now has Ford factory fill (XT-11-QDC) when I used to run AMSOil MTF.
I'm thinking the pilot bearing might have been left out after the engine replacement. Does anyone have any other ideas/comments?
TIA
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check the center bearing retainer on driveshaft for any play/tears.

Check all driveshaft bolts at both the trans flange and rear pinion flange and make sure they're all there (don't laugh, it happens) and they're all torqued to spec.

If the feeling is different when clutch is in vs out, then the issue lies with the reinstallation of the flywheel/clutch components OR driveshaft needs to be clocked, if it wasn't marked and reinstalled in same orientation.

OP
OP
Radiation Joe

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, my initial theory was correct. The G#^d@*% dealership left out the pilot bearing.

I just had the clutch and flywheel replaced with a Spec stage-1 and Spec aluminum flywheel. Vibration is gone, but I have a hellacious noise at light load and decel between 1800 and 2400 rpm. I've heard that an aluminum flywheel will cause noise around this rpm with the MT82, but I'm thinking that lack of pilot bearing for 12k miles may have killed the input bearing in the trans. I might try replacing the Ford DCT fluid with Redline MTL to reduce the noise.

Any thoughts besides shooting the service manager at my local dealership?

BTW, even with the noise, I love the aluminum flywheel. Car shifts and engine responds better than it ever has.

OP
OP
Radiation Joe

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealership is doing the right thing. Fred Beans Ford of Boyertown.
Replacing the transmission. They are claiming the input shaft and bearing are ok and that the center support bearing is what failed and I can see that. They say that is a common failure in the MT82. I can feel some play in the input shaft, though, and still think the omission of the pilot bearing contributed to the failures.
Still, they are doing me a solid.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Dealership is doing the right thing. Fred Beans Ford of Boyertown.
Replacing the transmission. They are claiming the input shaft and bearing are ok and that the center support bearing is what failed and I can see that. They say that is a common failure in the MT82. I can feel some play in the input shaft, though, and still think the omission of the pilot bearing contributed to the failures.
Still, they are doing me a solid.
It’s good they are getting things in order and you’ll have the car back soon.
Sponsored