Odd periodic vibration from steering wheel

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
It’s usually easy to figure out where vibration is coming from... tires or brakes etc but this one is kicking my ass. My motor was replaced last November, however, recently I’ve started noticing a periodic vibration in the steering wheel. I can barely notice it at 70-80mph, but it’s most pronounced at 90-100 (not terrible but definitely noticeable), especially when turning in a long sweeper and/or gripping the wheel tightly. It disappears totally above 110 or so... what’s so strange about it is that it comes and goes periodically every two seconds. That’s what I can’t figure out and it doesn’t help me pinpoint the problem. Also it doesn’t matter what gear, or if In neutral. Any ideas? I’m about 36k on the clock. Please help.
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I feel you my car has not felt right since the swap but it might be in my head.

Wild guess maybe the electronic power steering?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I had an odd vibration in my steering wheel in my previous Mustang that was due to driveline imbalance following a pinion seal replacement at the dealership. Granted I also had vibrations in the seat at other speeds due to the same issue. It really depends on the resonance frequency. Do you feel vibrations anywhere else (other than normal GT350 vibes)?

OP
OP
Droopy1592

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I don’t feel it so much through the rest of the car vs the steering wheel, however I got up to 90 today, put it in neutral, turned the car off and the vibration was still there.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I don’t feel it so much through the rest of the car vs the steering wheel, however I got up to 90 today, put it in neutral, turned the car off and the vibration was still there.
With that experiment, I'd lean toward wheel balance or alignment. The electric steering could also be at issue. It's all weird due to the anomaly coming and going.
Sponsored