Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Thermal Runaway. Owners of laptops, cell phones and vaping pens can attest to these events as well.

The water could help with preventing other bits from burning, other areas from catching fire. But yea, if the lithium paste has short-circuited and ignited, it won't stop until all the energy is dissipated.

Lithium is great due to light weight and density of energy, but when a thermal runaway event starts, it's best to distance one's self quickly.

Last edited:

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Thermal Runaway. Owners of laptops, cell phones and vaping pens can attest to these events as well.

The water could help with preventing other bits from burning, other areas from catching fire. But yea, if the lithium paste has short-circuited and ignited, it won't stop until all the energy is dissipated.

Lithium is great due to light weight and density of energy, but when a thermal runaway event starts, it's best to distance one's self quickly.
And, I intend to distance myself and loved ones from any EV. Hell! I think tanning tables are ridiculously foolish. In no way do I want to be guest of honor at a Car-B-Que!

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The sad thing is, we aren't safe even if we avoid buying EVs. If a Tesla catches fire in an underground parking lot, all the cars in its vicinity will be doomed. Including the building itself. It will burn for days on end, and nobody will be able to do anything about it. These things should be banned from underground parkings. Or tunnels for that matter.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Firemen have to start carrying inflatable car sized kiddie pools with them.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
When I flew RC helicopters, I charged my lipo batteries in an ammo box, just to play it safe. I had a couple small ones explode with no harm done. But, an RC flying buddy had his house burn down when one exploded.

When I had a battery go bad (won't hold a charge and/or puffs up) I tried to do everything possible to make it discharge all energy before discarding it. I liked to set them in a pile of dirt , shoot them with a nail gun and run like hell!

Lipo batteries are more volatile than li-ion batteries that are used for most applications.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Running the headline "ICE car catches fire" 170,000+ times a year = dog bites man. No one is going to click on it.
KBB
Study: Electric Vehicles Involved in Fewest Car Fires
the diff is the cause/timing/severity. ICE cars generally do not just go up in flames for no reason. it is almost exclusively after an accident. immediately after an accident, and can be put out with abit of water or even just a handheld fire extinguisher.

when EVs go up, it could be days or weeks after an accident. Or just sitting in a parking garage, and there are often no viable ways to put the fire out, so it may burn up many cars in said parking garage.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Well they better fix this before they force everyone to buy these EV’s. I know the accident had something to do with it, but you never know. We’ve seen batteries self combust anyway.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kiro7.com/news/trending/tesla-repeatedly-catches-fire-california-wrecking-yard/CBDRC44UCBDN7LLTPQKXUKZCJM/?outputType=amp
Hey Demon, there's a grass roots industry opportunity to retrofit Tesla's with old waterbeds from the 70's! Just mount them under the battery compartment.....Warning this will reduce ground clearance! :cwl:

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
The sad thing is, we aren't safe even if we avoid buying EVs. If a Tesla catches fire in an underground parking lot, all the cars in its vicinity will be doomed. Including the building itself. It will burn for days on end, and nobody will be able to do anything about it. These things should be banned from underground parkings. Or tunnels for that matter.
Give it time. It is coming.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Can't wait till an automaker states to not park the vehicle in your garage in these HOA'S that fine you if you have a vehicle in driveway overnight. This I can't wait to see. It is going to be comic gold.
Sponsored