Not liking Focal 33kx

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
I wonder what happens with all of what was done if I have the processing removed. They are definitely an all out shop, and have probably over 50 trophies in there to prove it. The guy Mark there (Imagine Audio, NJ) is a top 20 in the country. They showed me some data on a screen that was before and after. The one before started out low on went up and then kind of was all over the place. The after one was totally clean and level a little below the top of the graph. Not sure what that was, but I am sure some of you do.

So if I am all setup, and it was mic'd up and things like that for the setup, what happens if I have the processing removed from the head unit? Does that nullify my FIX 82 settings, or the device all together? I will call on Monday, but I would bet they took the signal before the amp.

The deep tones are actually earth shattering. So powerful and explosive. I am fine with that. It is just the mid-bass that appears to be missing from my setup. I feel as though any type of drum hit, no matter how deep should be obvious that there is a sub in the car. Sometimes, I am not hearing it.
Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I wonder what happens with all of what was done if I have the processing removed. They are definitely an all out shop, and have probably over 50 trophies in there to prove it. The guy Mark there (Imagine Audio, NJ) is a top 20 in the country. They showed me some data on a screen that was before and after. The one before started out low on went up and then kind of was all over the place. The after one was totally clean and level a little below the top of the graph. Not sure what that was, but I am sure some of you do.

So if I am all setup, and it was mic'd up and things like that for the setup, what happens if I have the processing removed from the head unit? Does that nullify my FIX 82 settings, or the device all together? I will call on Monday, but I would bet they took the signal before the amp.

The deep tones are actually earth shattering. So powerful and explosive. I am fine with that. It is just the mid-bass that appears to be missing from my setup. I feel as though any type of drum hit, no matter how deep should be obvious that there is a sub in the car. Sometimes, I am not hearing it.[/QUOTE

They do not.. I promise.. I found this and have been the only person to know about what to modify to do it.. They may be good installers.. But that doesn't mean they know what I do on the programming..

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto

The deep tones are actually earth shattering. So powerful and explosive. I am fine with that. It is just the mid-bass that appears to be missing from my setup. I feel as though any type of drum hit, no matter how deep should be obvious that there is a sub in the car. Sometimes, I am not hearing it.[/QUOTE

They do not.. I promise.. I found this and have been the only person to know about what to modify to do it.. They may be good installers.. But that doesn't mean they know what I do on the programming..
I am positive they do not know what you do. They definitely did not do anything to my head unit. What I am asking is if you do my radio, will everything they did with the FIX82 be null and void? Will I have to go back for setup?

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
If they used that.. They most likely went after the amp.. But it really isn't anything to talk about until we know where they did grab the signal.. Z once we know that.. We can better determine what the best move is

CajunStang

Impatiently Waiting
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Its a fairly simple install for our cars actually. Get signal before the Shaker amp, have OEMRadio flash his files and bam done. I doesn't hurt to have a DSP and get it tuned but for what I have and no DSP it sounds awesome. I think a lot of people get caught up in the numbers and graphs game ok yes I see a flat frequency response on your graph but its what you hear and what it sound like to your ears that matters. Unless you are competing in SQ and people are looking at a graph from an RTA to judge you, my ears are my judge.

You even said he showed you graphs that look good but you hear that something isn't right, see what I mean, the ultimate judge is your ears and what you know it should sound like.

Sponsored

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
If they used that.. They most likely went after the amp.. But it really isn't anything to talk about until we know where they did grab the signal.. Z once we know that.. We can better determine what the best move is
I was there today. My sub crossover was set to 50hz so I guess that's why it was only deep. They moved it to 80. It's better, but still not great. And they did grab the signal after the amp. I don't think they know there is a low level out on my premium. However, I kept my factory rears on the factory amp. Not sure if that's why they went after it or if that even matters. So what do I do now? For the level of equipment I supposedly have, I think it should sound much better than it does. The graph I was referring to he told me was electrical, not an oscilloscope.

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Its a fairly simple install for our cars actually. Get signal before the Shaker amp, have OEMRadio flash his files and bam done. I doesn't hurt to have a DSP and get it tuned but for what I have and no DSP it sounds awesome. I think a lot of people get caught up in the numbers and graphs game ok yes I see a flat frequency response on your graph but its what you hear and what it sound like to your ears that matters. Unless you are competing in SQ and people are looking at a graph from an RTA to judge you, my ears are my judge.

You even said he showed you graphs that look good but you hear that something isn't right, see what I mean, the ultimate judge is your ears and what you know it should sound like.
What type of equipment did you install?

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I was there today. My sub crossover was set to 50hz so I guess that's why it was only deep. They moved it to 80. It's better, but still not great. And they did grab the signal after the amp. I don't think they know there is a low level out on my premium. However, I kept my factory rears on the factory amp. Not sure if that's why they went after it or if that even matters. So what do I do now? For the level of equipment I supposedly have, I think it should sound much better than it does. The graph I was referring to he told me was electrical, not an oscilloscope.
Boy.. That's a HIGE mistake.. It needs to be the input of the amp.. It doesn't matter if the tears are still factory powered.. The rest can be grabbed off the preamp .. You will notice a huge difference.. I knew they didn't as soon as you said they used that JL processor..

If all you would do is switch where the signal came from you would gain a huge improvement.. And you could loose the JL processor

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Boy.. That's a HIGE mistake.. It needs to be the input of the amp.. It doesn't matter if the tears are still factory powered.. The rest can be grabbed off the preamp .. You will notice a huge difference.. I knew they didn't as soon as you said they used that JL processor..

If all you would do is switch where the signal came from you would gain a huge improvement.. And you could loose the JL processor
Are you saying there are rca jacks in the back of the premium radio or just to grab the wires at the input of the amplifier? I will have them do whatever you suggest.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Are you saying there are rca jacks in the back of the premium radio or just to grab the wires at the input of the amplifier? I will have them do whatever you suggest.
No.. You have grab the wires..

Sponsored
OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
No.. You have grab the wires..
Ok, maybe we can talk tomorrow. We can see if you can do my radio, and what's the best way to do it. If it's necessary.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
The easiest is to go to the input of the factory amp..

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Ok, so thanks to OEMRadio, and as some others have suggested, I am having the shop move the input to before the factory amp for the Front components, and the sub. I then asked them to turn off the FIX 82 (if possible), and test things out without it to confirm whether or not they feel I will need it. From there if I have any issue, I will have Jesse update my radio.

This has been a mess for me. Just does not sound anywhere near like I expected. Also I have bad radio reception now, and the shop believes it is from the JL 900/5 possibly emitting RF interference. Apparently they have seen this before. So I have to make sure I get a comparable amp in there now also.

As for OEMRadio, amazing vendor to have. I want to pay for his services, but he is the one telling me to have things done first, and see how I like it before even taking that route. Great to have a vendor who really cares about people, and not just selling something. He is a class act, and I look forward to dealing with him in the future (maybe sooner than I think).

Tweezy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
17'GT on Order
Keep us updated, I just moved to NE PA and looking for an audio shop. I'll stay tuned to see if they resolved the issue
Sponsored