Sponsored

Not liking Focal 33kx

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Just got my car back from an audio upgrade. Excellent install. Top notch shop with tons of competition winds. Must have 50 trophies in there.

Well I went with the Focal 3 way components in the front, factory head unit, JL900/5 amp bridged for the fronts, and then sent the 500 to the focal 33kx in a custom 1.75 cu. ft. Sealed enclosure. Honestly, it just does not hit anywhere near hard enough for me. I had a JL 13.5" (flat sub) in my sl, I know it was actually in the car, but the hits were much cleaner, stronger and harder (same amp). Gain is set to about 3/4. Some songs I struggle to hear if it is doing anything at all.

I do have a FIX 82 installed, and the ran every test after the install. Not sure what I am looking at, but the graph was very flat and clean right across the top.

I also have a bass adjust know which seems nice, but then I notice at like 30% volume, something sounds fine with the bass know about half way. Once I get to 50%, I have to raise it.....Just annoying, but I can possibly deal with that part.

Any ideas or is that just what you get with this sub? If so, I will need something better to change it to. I like a really hard, and tight hit. Not boomy, but I want it to hit really hard. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

cb989098

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I upgraded my "Sony Premium" in my F250. It's different then the Shaker Pro in my mustang but still has Ford minds designing it I guess. Tons of DSP in these systems. The JL Fix 82 is supposed to remove the DSP and send clear signal to each of the outputs. It does not do this very well. I think that may be your issue. Shop may be well qualified but also if they did not pull the right signal that is full frequency, then nothing will make that up and it could be why no bottom end.

For the Fix 82, I think the only way it might be decent is to get the optional volume control for it. With these OEM head units, the DSP changes as your turn them up or down. With the Fix 82 volume control, you leave your head unit at a constant volume and adjust with their knob. Stupid I know but that is the only way it possibly works well.

I also had Focals in the doors of my F250. They sounded like crap. I tried an Audio Control summing device as well but it was worse then the JL Fix82. I ended up pulling the Fix82 and highs amp out and only amping subs. I certainly lack the volume of what I once had but the sound is amazing. It took me almost 2 years to get it right but it finally is and I am leaving it alone now.

Go back to the shop and have them make sure the pulled from a full frequency source. If they did and you still want mid/highs amped, volume control for JL Fix 82 could be tried. I never did this. If still sounds like junk, have them remove the high amps and run off head unit. You wont have the volume but I guarantee you will like the sound a lot better.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
what cb989098 said. You have some sort of signal manipulation going on at upper volumes. So you need a way to have the factory head unit at a fixed highest volume where there is no manipulation.

You can either turn the gains way up on your amps (which has all kinds of problems). Or get another way to have variable volume after the amp.

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS
Have oemradio reprogram your factory radio.

The Great Gazoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Silver GT/Auto
Just a thought - try playing with the Speed Compensation setting thingy. Not sure if that will make a difference in your issue or not, but it is all that came to mind for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
I upgraded my "Sony Premium" in my F250. It's different then the Shaker Pro in my mustang but still has Ford minds designing it I guess. Tons of DSP in these systems. The JL Fix 82 is supposed to remove the DSP and send clear signal to each of the outputs. It does not do this very well. I think that may be your issue. Shop may be well qualified but also if they did not pull the right signal that is full frequency, then nothing will make that up and it could be why no bottom end.

For the Fix 82, I think the only way it might be decent is to get the optional volume control for it. With these OEM head units, the DSP changes as your turn them up or down. With the Fix 82 volume control, you leave your head unit at a constant volume and adjust with their knob. Stupid I know but that is the only way it possibly works well.

I also had Focals in the doors of my F250. They sounded like crap. I tried an Audio Control summing device as well but it was worse then the JL Fix82. I ended up pulling the Fix82 and highs amp out and only amping subs. I certainly lack the volume of what I once had but the sound is amazing. It took me almost 2 years to get it right but it finally is and I am leaving it alone now.

Go back to the shop and have them make sure the pulled from a full frequency source. If they did and you still want mid/highs amped, volume control for JL Fix 82 could be tried. I never did this. If still sounds like junk, have them remove the high amps and run off head unit. You wont have the volume but I guarantee you will like the sound a lot better.
My Focals sound amazing. Wouldn't want to change anything there. I just feel like I am missing a certain range of bass from the Sub. It goes down really deep. Probably deeper than I have ever hear to be honest. It is hard to explain exactly what I am lacking. Lets call it the Mid range level of bass. Almost cannot even tell I have a sub at times depending on the song I am listening to.

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
My Focals sound amazing. Wouldn't want to change anything there. I just feel like I am missing a certain range of bass from the Sub. It goes down really deep. Probably deeper than I have ever hear to be honest. It is hard to explain exactly what I am lacking. Lets call it the Mid range level of bass. Almost cannot even tell I have a sub at times depending on the song I am listening to.
I have that exact same problem. The 10" sub in my car hits WAY LOWER than it should be... it is rediculous. I have an RE XXX 15" in my Crown Vic with a 3.75 cubic foot vented box and I am pretty sure the Mustang with a sealed 10 hits lower notes, and the Vic is no slouch.

I've chalked it up to a box/sub/car combination. I took pre-amp inputs right from the head unit and fed them into a JBL MS-8. I've put a calibrated mic in the car and it all looks right, I just don't hear it.

I've also noticed if I roll my windows down a bit the sub is louder and hits more of the upper frequencies.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Where did they grab the signal? If they grabbed it AFTER the amp.. they did you a HUGE injustice.. They need to grab the input of the factory amp.. I just did a reprogram in person for a member yesterday and got to hear the before and after.. and it was night and day.. the sub came in very strong..

BUT.. Focal isn't know to be earth shattering bass.. I have done MANY Focal sub installs.. and the loudest one I ever did was 2 11" Access in a bandpass in a Bentley GT.. did a Focal amp as well.. they were strong.. but still.. not like what some other brands are like..

ib2loud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Where did they grab the signal? If they grabbed it AFTER the amp.. they did you a HUGE injustice.. They need to grab the input of the factory amp.. I just did a reprogram in person for a member yesterday and got to hear the before and after.. and it was night and day.. the sub came in very strong..

BUT.. Focal isn't know to be earth shattering bass.. I have done MANY Focal sub installs.. and the loudest one I ever did was 2 11" Access in a bandpass in a Bentley GT.. did a Focal amp as well.. they were strong.. but still.. not like what some other brands are like..

Sorry to thread hijack but I was wondering how you get a signal before the factory amp.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Sorry to thread hijack but I was wondering how you get a signal before the factory amp.
You can grab it at the input of the amp or behind the radio.. this is the best way on any of them.. but really great on the premiums because they are already a low level output and eliminates any need for Line out converters.. and if I program it.. eliminates any need for processing..

Sponsored

ib2loud

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
You can grab it at the input of the amp or behind the radio.. this is the best way on any of them.. but really great on the premiums because they are already a low level output and eliminates any need for Line out converters.. and if I program it.. eliminates any need for processing..
I'll have to figure out how to do that. I have the Audiocontrol LC2i tapped into my rear deck and it works ok it just doesn't have quite a natural sound to it.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
It's easy.. And it even gets better once I remove the factory processing ..

CajunStang

Impatiently Waiting
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Ok so I thought I would chime in on the matter. [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION] is the man to get you where you really feel all your hard earned money should have gotten you with your system. I have been installing audio professionally at shops for over 10 years. I installed all my product and it sounded decent but wasn't where I knew the product could perform. I brought my car to OEMRadio to have him flash the ACM and let me be the first to tell you it has made the most incredible night and day difference in the quality of the sound. We sat and listened to a few tracks before his reflash and it sounded decent but it was obvious there was some extra curricular processing going on in the ACM. After the flash it was an amazing difference. The sound had become more realistic, the lower high frequencies were brought down quite a bit which took away the harshness that was an ear killer. The mids sounded smoother and provided great midbass response. The tweeter were bright yet soft and accurate and all tinny-ness was gone. The bass was clean,tight, and produced every frequency the enclosure would let it. With his flash it's like I put in an aftermarket head unit and the signal was clean and unaltered.
I can attest to what a reflash can do for the ACM and [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION] is your man.

Products
AudioControl Matrix Line Driver
Rockford Fosgate Power T4 components (Front stage)
Rockford Fosgate Power T1 coaxial (rear fill)
Digital Designs 9512 supercharged, all composite 2 cu.ft 32hz enclosure
Digital Designs SS4a
Digital Designs M2b
Batcap 2000 batteries x2
Stinger 1/0 ultraflex 2 runs front to back

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Ok so I thought I would chime in on the matter. [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION] is the man to get you where you really feel all your hard earned money should have gotten you with your system. I have been installing audio professionally at shops for over 10 years. I installed all my product and it sounded decent but wasn't where I knew the product could perform. I brought my car to OEMRadio to have him flash the ACM and let me be the first to tell you it has made the most incredible night and day difference in the quality of the sound. We sat and listened to a few tracks before his reflash and it sounded decent but it was obvious there was some extra curricular processing going on in the ACM. After the flash it was an amazing difference. The sound had become more realistic, the lower high frequencies were brought down quite a bit which took away the harshness that was an ear killer. The mids sounded smoother and provided great midbass response. The tweeter were bright yet soft and accurate and all tinny-ness was gone. The bass was clean,tight, and produced every frequency the enclosure would let it. With his flash it's like I put in an aftermarket head unit and the signal was clean and unaltered.
I can attest to what a reflash can do for the ACM and [MENTION=20927]OEMRadio[/MENTION] is your man.

Products
AudioControl Matrix Line Driver
Rockford Fosgate Power T4 components (Front stage)
Rockford Fosgate Power T1 coaxial (rear fill)
Digital Designs 9512 supercharged, all composite 2 cu.ft 32hz enclosure
Digital Designs SS4a
Digital Designs M2b
Batcap 2000 batteries x2
Stinger 1/0 ultraflex 2 runs front to back

Thanks a lot.. It was great to hear a before and after.. your car sounded AWESOME.. man.. I was really impressed.. but I do have to admit that the changes made a big difference.. even I was amazed.. you have some really.. REALLY nice stuff and you could tell where it was getting out of hand due to the factory processing the ACM was doing...

Thanks again for giving the word.. I appreciate that..
Sponsored